Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 08-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #621
Steelergar

Default Re: Official MMA Thread

There appears to be some bad blood brewing between anderson silva and Griffin. Griffin has Robert Drysdale a Abu Dhabi champion training him in BJJ for this fight. Robert claims Forrest has better BJJ than Silva and this pissed him off. Silva called Drysdale a fool and an idiot.
Other news Strikeforce signs Ronaldo Jacare Souza, the USA fans get to see this incredible fighter now.

Last edited by Steelergar; 08-06-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:05 AM   #622
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Looks like Edith isn't an octagon girl anymore! She isn't on the ufc site, new girl replacing her is hot - natasha wicks
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #623
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
natasha wicks
I likes!!!

My only hope with this Fedor situation is that Strikeforce doesn't over extend their business to suit M-1 or their pocket book. I'm with many people, and what Dana W. brought up in statements, that Strikeforce doesn't put on title fights. Three belts that have been stalled and who knows when Cung Le will fight again. Aside from the titles I've liked the Strikeforce shows.

Quote:
"The UFC did not give us any chance to develop. The UFC wants me to be the fighter of the UFC. They do not offer us anything else."
I'm about done with this, but wondered what this was actually targeted at. Are they talking about developing as a fighter and not wanting a title shot for the first fight?
Quote:
Hard not to take those odds but I don't think Forrest can take the Spider. I also think Florian is very, very good and will take BJ.
I'm running with you on this. I like forrest though do not see him finishing Silva and Silva is going to put on a fight. And Penn is probably prepping excuses right now for his post fight interview.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #624
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post

I'm about done with this, but wondered what this was actually targeted at. Are they talking about developing as a fighter and not wanting a title shot for the first fight?

I think in poor english he means that they didn't offer M-1 the chance to expand in a US market-- co-promotion. He wants to develop M-1 as he develops his US based fight game, one alongside the other.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #625
Ken
Still Watching My Back

You're probably right ActionA, though part of my brain was thinking they may have wanted to get a feel for the cage. Although Fedor has used the ropes to avoid takes I don't think the switch to the cage really matters much, he is a natural fighter and should adjust quickly.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #626
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

UFC 101 weigh-in results: All 22 fighters officially make weight for "Declaration" event

PHILADELPHIA - All 22 competitors set to fight at "UFC 101: Declaration" successfully made weight for the event at today's official fighter weigh-ins.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today was on scene for the weigh-ins, which were held at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, the same venue that hosts Saturday's pay-per-view event.

UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn and fellow headliner Kenny Florian each tipped the scales at the 155-pound limit before briefly engaging in a nose-to-nose staredown.

Following the pose-off, each competitor promised to display their full potentials.

"This is my dream; this is what every fighter works for," Florian told event emcee Joe Rogan. "I will perform tomorrow night for sure."

The usually vocal Penn was brief in response.

"I'm in great shape," Penn said. "I'm going to go out and do my best."

Additionally, UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, who moves up to the light heavyweight division for a non-title fight with Forrest Griffin, weighed 205 pounds. Griffin also weighed in right on the light heavyweight limit.

The full weigh-in results included:

MAIN CARD

* Champ B.J. Penn (155) vs. Kenny Florian (155)
* Champ Anderson Silva (205) vs. Forrest Griffin (205)
* Ricardo Almeida (185) vs. Kendall Grove (185.5)
* Josh Neer (155.5) vs. Kurt Pellegrino (154.5)
* Johny Hendricks (171) vs. Amir Sadollah (166.5)

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Shane Nelson (156) vs. Aaron Riley (154)
* John Howard (169.5) vs. Tamdan McCrory (170)
* Thales Leites (185) vs. Alessio Sakara (185.5)
* Dan Cramer (169.5) vs. Matthew Riddle (170)
* George Roop (154) vs. George Sotiropoulos (155)
* Jesse Lennox (171) vs. Danillo Villefort (170.25)

Frankly, this show doesn't have that much appeal. If it were not for the 2 main fights, this shouldn't be a PPV. I think you could argue that it shouldn't anyway. At least not at what they are charging to watch it.

Oh, and PJ Penn has apologized for accusing GSP of juicing. http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Penn...005935&tid=105

Last edited by NCRadioMan; 08-07-2009 at 04:11 PM.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #627
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Champ B.J. Penn (155) vs. Kenny Florian (155)
Champ Anderson Silva (205) vs. Forrest Griffin (205) I'll pull for Griffin though
Ricardo Almeida (185) vs. Kendall Grove (185.5)
Josh Neer (155.5) vs. Kurt Pellegrino (154.5)
Johny Hendricks (171) vs. Amir Sadollah (166.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Frankly, this show doesn't have that much appeal. If it were not for the 2 main fights, this shouldn't be a PPV. I think you could argue that it shouldn't anyway. At least not at what they are charging to watch it.
Can't argue with that!

Tonight Penn should be preparing his list of excuses.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #628
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

MMA pioneer Don Frye out of Aug. 28 "M-1 Breakthrough," event moved to Kansas City.

M-1 Global's Aug. 28 event, "Breakthrough," has suffered another setback as Don Frye has backed out of the evening's main event.

Frye's opponent, Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal, released the information in a recent video blog posted on YouTube.

"Don Frye, I guess, pulled out because he didn't like the location of the fight," Lawal says in the video. "It was originally supposed to be in Los Angeles, but I guess they moved it to Kansas City or something. I'm trying to still get that payday, so they're going to find a replacement to take his spot."

Sources close to the event have since confirmed Frye's withdrawal from the card with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), as well as the relocation of the event to Kansas City.

SI.com first broke the news that "M-1 Breakthrough" would not be happening in Los Angeles in conjunction with IMMAE, an international MMA trade show. Much was made of M-1 Global's lack of a promoter's license in California, but sources close to the event point to a financial backer withdrawing its commitment as the real culprit.

While M-1 Global has yet to make an official announcement regarding a venue in Kansas City, the organization would most likely look to Memorial Hall, the same venue that hosted a June event from the company's "M-1 Challenge" team-vs.-team event series.

Sources close to the event said a replacement for Frye is likely to be announced as soon as Monday, and the show – which will be broadcast on HDNet – will go on despite the changes.

If you have never seen King Mo fight, you are missing out. He is awesome! I think he would have had no trouble with the aging Frye.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #629
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Wow, Anderson made Forrest look like a straight bum. Dude is unreal. Every time I think someone has a CHANCE at beating him, he makes them look foolish. Anderson is a beast, I really have to say, the best P4P fighter in the world.

Overall though, this card has been ass, plain and simple. Luckily I didn't pay for this one...

On another note, I'd like to see King Mo in the UFC. Maybe we see that soon now that he's being jerked around from city to city and opponents dropping out, etc.

Finally, Natasha is smoking hot, especially since she got what looks to be a surgical "upgrade" after winning the Maxim ring girl contest.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #630
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Well, BJ dominated. Kenny failed at imitating Couture's tactics against Gonzaga and Sylvia in holding BJ against the cage and hoping he would gas. BJ's conditioning is obviously where it needs to be and like always, his striking and ground game are on point. Great fight though. Looking forward to BJ vs. Sanchez.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #631
BORIStheBLADE
_

First Name: Mike
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
BORIStheBLADE will become famous soon enough

Damn that was the worst card I have seen in a while except for BJ's fight.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #632
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

that was a crap ufc, they need to put on more quality, less quantity
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:40 PM   #633
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
that was a crap ufc, they need to put on more quality, less quantity
Give me a break! I guess Fedors new diggs will put on better fights
Old 08-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #634
Steelergar

They had too many ultimate fighters on the card and so far this has been the year they have been exposed. I thought Silva embarrassed Thales but Griffin might have looked even worse. Roy Jones better look out. I dont know why the UFC can't set up a Silva vs Jones boxing match in the UFC ? They would make a ton of money plus it would be fun to see a MMA striker against a boxer. Other organizations use to hold kickboxing matches at their events.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:52 PM   #635
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelergar View Post
They had too many ultimate fighters on the card and so far this has been the year they have been exposed. I thought Silva embarrassed Thales but Griffin might have looked even worse. Roy Jones better look out. I dont know why the UFC can't set up a Silva vs Jones boxing match in the UFC ? They would make a ton of money plus it would be fun to see a MMA striker against a boxer. Other organizations use to hold kickboxing matches at their events.
Silva is the man!

The Sadollah fight could have gone longer, but the ref was right he wasnt intelligently defending himself...but I didnt think Hendricks wasnt really hitting him while he was down. Hendricks hit him with the first swing but after that was just swinging wildly at air. I watched Hendricks while he was at OSU so it was really cool to seem him in the UFC, I was rooting for him but didnt think the fight was over at that point.

Again Silva is the MAN!

Fedor is ducking the comp in the UFC.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #636
hornitosmonster
Cowboys Fan

First Name: Isaac
Trading: (4)
Partagas
hornitosmonster is on a distinguished road

Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva are on a different skill level then the rest of the UFC fighters. Don't expect a fight between the two because they are best friends and have already ruled it out.

Silva can beat what is left of RoyJones Jr. in a Boxing match...However, Silva would not have beaten a prime Roy Jones Jr. in a boxing match. A match now between the two is a joke. Roy is so past his prime...

As for Fedor, I seriously doubt he is afraid of any of the Heavyweights the UFC has... It is kind of a joke to even suggest that. Please explain why Fedor is ducking the very weak UFC heavyweight division? As much as I want Fedor to destroy that joke of a champion that Lesnar is, I'm happy Fedor has raised his middle finger toward the UFC...
Old 08-09-2009, 07:06 AM   #637
kayaker

Silva vs Griffin was CRAZY!!! Kind of reminded me of when Liddel beat Sobral, only better. It started with Liddel back pedaling while Sobral was chasing. Then Chuck caught him with an upper cut or hook. Few fighters can hit that hard while moving backwards.

It didn't look like Anderson had any body movement to the punch. It was all arms.

I thought Griffin's best chance was to take Silva down and control him like Dan Henderson. I wonder how the ground game would have went. In any case, Anderson didn't wait for that to happen.

He won't fight Machida at 205, so who do you think would be the next best match up at LHW?
Old 08-09-2009, 07:50 AM   #638
cbsmokin
Looking for the Apex

First Name: Craig
Cohiba
cbsmokin will become famous soon enough

Here is the Silva fight if anyone didn't see it:

http://www.myvideofight.com/UFC/Silva-vs-Griffin-Video

Check out C.A.R.B. IV http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...840#post879840
cbsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #639
12stones
Yo Mama is so...

First Name: Ricky
Trading: (1)
RA MarineCorps (Disabled Vet)
12stones will become famous soon enough

Let's just say that I'm glad I didn't pay for this card.
12stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #640
Ron1YY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
He won't fight Machida at 205, so who do you think would be the next best match up at LHW?
Rashad would be a good fight. Also Rampage too. If Randy dropped back to LHW that would be a fight also.......