Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2009, 03:57 AM   #81
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: so I recieved a couple of pm's

Just got a call from the hospital, they pushed the surgery forward and I will go under the knife next wednesday, december 2nd. Now that I have a surgery date, I am starting to get a little nerveous, and a tiny bit scared.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:21 AM   #82
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Just got a call from the hospital, they pushed the surgery forward and I will go under the knife next wednesday, december 2nd. Now that I have a surgery date, I am starting to get a little nerveous, and a tiny bit scared.
No worries brother. Prayers are being sent your way... You've got plenty of supporters here

aj
RightAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:33 AM   #83
gbum
Feeling at Home

First Name: Asyraf
Trading: (0)
Partagas
gbum is on a distinguished road

no worry mate,thoughts and prayers your way mister.Good luck with the surgery and god bless.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #84
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

Quote:
I'm sure you'll be fine. Make sure 3 days before you go under the knife, you flush yourself with magnesium citrate and nothing but liquids for a couple days before surgery. I went clear liquid only 2 days before, did 3 mag. citrate flushes before surgery. My guts were clean as a whistle.

Trust me, post-op recovery wise, you will thank me. Being that sore and not having to hit the head is a beautiful thing. The Foley catheter you will have takes care fo all that liquid.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:06 AM   #85
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Good thoughts headed your way, Ferdie. Good luck with the surgery.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #86
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Best wishes my brother! And make sure that Simon or someone has a way to get information so he can post updates here, we'll want to know how you're progressing next week!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #87
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I'll probably be home 4 to 5 days after the surgery and I will log on Gerard, I'll give the updates myself. That way I am sure Simon doesn't sell me out and makes me a (not very quick) walking target.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #88
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

Quote:
I'll probably be home 4 to 5 days after the surgery and I will log on Gerard, I'll give the updates myself. That way I am sure Simon doesn't sell me out and makes me a (not very quick) walking target.
Ah... Recovery sticks. Very nice. Thanks for the idea.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #89
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Good luck Ferdinand!!!
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #90
Blindjimme
Judgement Impaired

First Name: JB
Trading: (14)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Blindjimme will become famous soon enough

Positive thoughts sent Ferdie! Kind of nice to have it moved up, you'll be fine sooner than planned.
Blindjimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #91
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

We're with you, Ferdie. Best of luck with the surgery and recovery.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #92
Slavac

I'd wish you good luck, but you won't need it
Old 11-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #93
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Just to encourage you bro,
My mother had this surgery done a year ago and is 150lbs less now and still losing quite a bit of weight.

A year after my mother did it my father had his surgery a month ago and is already 30lbs down.

Due to my medical history I can't have this surgery, but I can say I'm 100lbs less myself from a year ago just from just cutting back on what I eat. So, goodluck my friend with the surgery. This is going to change your life for the better.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:48 AM   #94
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

I said goodbye to cigars and alcohol for the next few months yesterday by having a double cognac Frapin cigar blend and a 2001 Punch Black Prince. Hopefully I can light a smoke at the Amsterdam herf in march, if not, I'll be there just to hang out. I'm expecting the follow up surgery to take place not to long after the herf, and I will be out of smoking and drinking for months again, a sacrifice I have to make for a healthier weight.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:52 AM   #95
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Had an appointment with the surgeon and with the nutrician today. I lost 30lbs since I started the new lifestyle and the nutrician is very pleased with the progress, I hoped for a bit more.

The surgeon expected me to choose for the gastric bypass but supports my decision for the duodenal switch. The surgery will take place in two steps, first they will make a sleeve of my stomach so I will lose a lot of weight. That surgery will take place late december or early january, and 5 to 6 months later they will do the actual duodenal switch. I expected the second procedure to take place sooner, so that is a bit of a disappointment but hey, nothing I can do except for calling off the surgery which isn't really an option. It only means that I won't be able to find a job and go back to work for a longer time then I expected, and that my stash of cigars will get more time to age as I won't be able to smoke for months after both surgeries.
Prayers & Positive Thoughts Coming Your Way, Brother! That First Smoke When You Recuperate Will Be Awesome! Thanks For The Updates, Brother!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #96
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation

Ferdinand, After having been under the knife here recently(back surgery) I can fully understand a lot of the thoughts your having with the surgery date looming. Keep your focus on the good results this will have for your future and you will be fine.

I will be keeping you in my thoughts and Prayers for this coming date and beyond. And you have a great support group here on the Asylum who love ya and will be seeing you through this also.

Prayers and good thought sent and continue,
Kevin
Old 11-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #97
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Thnx Kevin, most of what I am thinking and feeling are nerves. Needles scare the chit out of me, and the idea of a drip just freaks me out. On top of that, the first 14 days after the surgery I need 3 injections a day to prevent thrombosis. I will only be in the hospital for a few days, that means that I will have to inject myself for the remainder of that period. That thought keeps me up at night.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #98
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

I can understand that. I certainly wouldn't want to be shooting myself full of anything. That being said, I wish you all the best Don. You're making a good decision here. Take care and we'll talk to you when you post again.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #99
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation

Quote:
Thnx Kevin, most of what I am thinking and feeling are nerves. Needles scare the chit out of me, and the idea of a drip just freaks me out. On top of that, the first 14 days after the surgery I need 3 injections a day to prevent thrombosis. I will only be in the hospital for a few days, that means that I will have to inject myself for the remainder of that period. That thought keeps me up at night.
That sure doesn't help things. I had to have a nurse come to my home to change bandages on me I absolutely nothing about your help care system--but couldn't someone help you along that same line?...maybe a close friend would help you out like that?

Just clutching at straws here....

I will keep you in prayer.

Kevin
Old 11-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #100
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

My mum will visit me every day for the basic needs, but trust me you don't want my mum near you with a needle in her hand