Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default Blazer Torch

How many people have these? I'm wondering how the fuel tank will last before refill, how the flame holds up in wind, and the overall quality of the lighter. Are there better options for a new torch in the $30-40 range? Thanks
Old 01-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Blazer Torch

I loved my PB-207, finally crapped out after about 5 1/2 years. Lit 100 cigars on one fill, Nate. I will be picking up another next time I see a sale or GB.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I am not trying to talk you out of it (I have never used the Blazer), but I use these and they work great and have great lasting tanks and are very cheap to purchase:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/translu...-lighter-12142

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/honest-...-lighter-11868
Old 01-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I am not trying to talk you out of it, but I use these and they work great and have great lasting tanks and are very cheap to purchase:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/translu...-lighter-12142
They are good lighters, I got 6 of another style for less than $15 shipped, so you don't even care if you lose one, or want to just give a couple away.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

I have a ton of cheap lighters that are great, but I always try to have my Blazer PB-207 on hand. It has a strong flame and, like Tom said, it will light lots of cigars between refills. First one I had was solid color but the clear is the way to go so you can see how much fuel is left. My other two recomendations are the Blazer Little Buddy and the Xikar New Tech. I have not used the New Tech outside of the store but it is very similar to the Little Buddy, which is great, and it has Xikar's warranty.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
They are good lighters, I got 6 of another style for less than $15 shipped, so you don't even care if you lose one, or want to just give a couple away.
Exactly, the second one fits into a pocket a little better but they both work great. And at the price point

I bought about 6 different ones, but I liked these two the best all around.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
ChicagoWhiteSox

Thanks guys. I'm looking at the PB-207 clear tank. Sounds like it has a strong flame (I smoke mostly outside), and good fuel capacity. Does the chain that holds the cover on bother anyone? I could see how it may be an issue in the pocket..
Old 01-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Thanks guys. I'm looking at the PB-207 clear tank. Sounds like it has a strong flame (I smoke mostly outside), and good fuel capacity. Does the chain that holds the cover on bother anyone? I could see how it may be an issue in the pocket..
I often remove them on my cheap ones. They do annoy me.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
ChicagoWhiteSox

Anyone have the Little Buddy or Ambassador?
Old 01-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
crazyirishman

Quote:
that's good that people think highly of those. I'm gonna have to pick some up since it takes away the stress of trying to find a potentially misplaced lighter when I want to light up a stick but don't want to have to look for a light.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
I loved my PB-207, finally crapped out after about 5 1/2 years. Lit 100 cigars on one fill, Nate. I will be picking up another next time I see a sale or GB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
I have a ton of cheap lighters that are great, but I always try to have my Blazer PB-207 on hand. It has a strong flame and, like Tom said, it will light lots of cigars between refills. First one I had was solid color but the clear is the way to go so you can see how much fuel is left. My other two recomendations are the Blazer Little Buddy and the Xikar New Tech. I have not used the New Tech outside of the store but it is very similar to the Little Buddy, which is great, and it has Xikar's warranty.
Love my Blazer PB-207 -- it has held up longer and better than all my other more expensive lighters.

The one advantage of the Blazer of the Dealextreme lighter is that the piece around the flame is metal on the Blazer so there is no risk if you leave the lighter on longer.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Love my Blazer PB-207 -- it has held up longer and better than all my other more expensive lighters.

The one advantage of the Blazer of the Dealextreme lighter is that the piece around the flame is metal on the Blazer so there is no risk if you leave the lighter on longer.
I am sure the Blazer has a slight edge but maybe not for the price point.

The piece around the metal?
Isn't the top plastic with metal inside on the blazer? The two lighters I posted above are both metal?

Here is another one more similar to the Blazer style that I have:

I also have this one:

All of the cheap ones work great. I almost want to buy a Blazer just to do a review comparison.

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 01-27-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
Coop
Ever blow bubbles...

First Name: Scott
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
Coop is on a distinguished road

I was just thinking I need a cheap jet flame lighter and this thread pops up!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

The peice around where the flame comes out -- I am not refering to the exterior surface of the lighter. On the Blazer it is metal. I've been told that it's not metal on the Dealextreme lighters...

BTW, I could be wrong about the Dealextreme -- and it would not be the first time...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #15
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
The peice around where the flame comes out -- I am not refering to the exterior surface of the lighter. On the Blazer it is metal. I've been told that it's not metal on the Dealextreme lighters...

BTW, I could be wrong about the Dealextreme -- and it would not be the first time...
I will check and get back to you, are you talking about the visible part around the flame or something internal?
Old 01-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

I have three PB-207s that I've had between five and three years now. Of the three, one has always been temperamental. The other two are bulletproof.

But having said that, I also have a drawer full of various DX lighters that work just as good, just as long, and for about a tenth of the price of a Blazer.

I use them all.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #17
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but the nozzles are brass and the "cup" that they sit in looks to be ceramic. If it were metal, the spark from the ignitor would ground out on the cup rather than the burner.

IIRC, it is heavier/thicker and more precisely manufactured and placed on the PB-207.

I can check on this later when I get home and can look at my PB-207 and a few other brands, including the DX, side by side.

One thing I don't like about the PB-207 is the roll-forward safety, but a pair of diagonal cutters will fix that in a second.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #18
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Anyone have the Little Buddy or Ambassador?
Yes I had a Little Buddy and loved it...then it was left in a pants pockets and melted in the dryer

I definitely liked the flip top better than the chain but it seemed that the tank wasn't the same capacity as the PB-207. The flame was strong but I again the 207 seemed stronger but it still had a great flame even in windy conditions. I have never tried an Ambassador.t Joey (ir13) swears by the CG-001 which seems to be the PB-207 in a hard case

http://www.blazerproducts.com/lighte....php?prodId=36
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #19
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
Yes I had a Little Buddy and loved it...then it was left in a pants pockets and melted in the dryer

I definitely liked the flip top better than the chain but it seemed that the tank wasn't the same capacity as the PB-207. The flame was strong but I again the 207 seemed stronger but it still had a great flame even in windy conditions. I have never tried an Ambassador.t Joey (ir13) swears by the CG-001 which seems to be the PB-207 in a hard case
http://www.blazerproducts.com/lighte....php?prodId=36
I wonder if it is just the PB-207 in a hard case.. If so, I like that better than having a chain on the PB-207.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #20
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but the nozzles are brass and the "cup" that they sit in looks to be ceramic. If it were metal, the spark from the ignitor would ground out on the cup rather than the burner.

IIRC, it is heavier/thicker and more precisely manufactured and placed on the PB-207.

I can check on this later when I get home and can look at my PB-207 and a few other brands, including the DX, side by side.

One thing I don't like about the PB-207 is the roll-forward safety, but a pair of diagonal cutters will fix that in a second.
Is the roll-forward safety the same in this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTo9Kno1xSA