Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 10-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation
Default Recommend me a good Chardonnay

Hey there CA fam,

I love wine but I'm definitely more of a red drinker than a white fan. Recently my wife has decided she wants to drink more Chardonnay, not sure why other than we've been eating a lot more fish than usual lately. I'm looking to find one that will fit her palate.

She's not a big fan of the crisp fruity Chardonnays so I'm looking for something a little more soft and rounder. Buttery is what she's going for so possibly a Sur Lie Chard if possible.

So if you could recommend a good bottle of Chardonnay that you think is rich and buttery it would be greatly appreciated. Price is always a concern so let's keep it under $100 if possible. Thanks everyone
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Recommend me a good Chardonnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
Hey there CA fam,

I love wine but I'm definitely more of a red drinker than a white fan. Recently my wife has decided she wants to drink more Chardonnay, not sure why other than we've been eating a lot more fish than usual lately. I'm looking to find one that will fit her palate.

She's not a big fan of the crisp fruity Chardonnays so I'm looking for something a little more soft and rounder. Buttery is what she's going for so possibly a Sur Lie Chard if possible.

So if you could recommend a good bottle of Chardonnay that you think is rich and buttery it would be greatly appreciated. Price is always a concern so let's keep it under $100 if possible. Thanks everyone
Lots of options out there for under $100 (under $50 even).
We'll talk more over dinner on Friday.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

VR

Excellent! Thanks Poon

Can't wait to see you guys!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

In California chards, at the $25-30/level, Rombauer or Frank Family are pretty safe choices. As for higher end ones . . . well, I'm a "red-man" too, so I wouldn't spend any more than that on a white, so I wouldn't know.

You should perhaps note that, due to criticisms Cali vintners received in recent years, and a subsequent switch by many consumers to Sauvignon Blancs, Pinot Grigios, etc., they have been producing many chards that are less oaky and buttery than in the past. Ask you local sommelier what he'd suggest.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
Patrick B
Feeling at Home

Trading: (6)
Patrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura about

Cakebread for the win. It's about the only white wine worth a damn in my book.
Patrick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

This will probably sound stupid but I hardly ever spend over 15 bucks on a chard. My regulars are fetzer, bogle, ghost pines, and frei brothers. Frei bros is about my top end for whites, because my palate can't discern the differences of higher priced whites. At least not enough to justify the price.
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
RichardW
Committed

Trading: (10)
Partagas
RichardW is on a distinguished road

sheesh!! if you're willing to go big bucks, you may consider a good white Burgundy.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
OnlyDryReds
Driving around aimlessly

First Name: Rob
Trading: (12)
Trinidad
OnlyDryReds is on a distinguished road

For my my wife and I are red wine drinkers also, and stay away from the buttery Cali wines, but we have found Coppola Diamond Chard to be a decent wine, not to heavy on the oak as some from Cali are, but enough to smooth out that crispness your wife would rather not have.
OnlyDryReds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Ch. St. Jean or Ch. St. Michelle have buttery Chards that are reasonably priced under $20.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #10
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

I hear Franzia is good. :-)
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

I Always enjoy Sonoma Cutrer Russian River Ranches, and their Les Pierre also. DeLoach OFS, Cakebread, Ferrari-Carano are some others, and if I feel like splurging, Far Niente has never let me down.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

VR

Thanks for the recommendations everyone

I will definitely be trying some Cakebread, Ghost Pines, Coppola Diamond and some of the others. Looking forward to it.

rizzle, I've tried a few bottles of Far Niente and while I think they are good my wife wasn't a huge fan, a little too much citrus for her.

Thomas, yeah I had heard the same things in regards to the buttery/oaky flavor profiles. Such a sad thing
Old 10-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
Sam Tushing

MMMMM cakebread is great - but then again...I've really enjoyed this as well http://deercreekvineyards.com/cgi-bi...play.cgi?cat=3