Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Almst had my first B&M experience.

So, I live in a small town. Well, 6 miles out from a small town. The "B&M" shop here is essentially a place that sells pot pipes, sex novelties, and has a small walk in humidor. The humidor is laughable at best. For a LONG time, I've wanted to visit a REAL brick and mortar shop, to see what most of you on here have actual access to.

This past weekend, I took my kids down to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area for an overnight hotel stay, then Chuck E Cheese and a small shopping spree at Toys R Us in Maple Grove. Which just so happened to be within a few minutes from Tobacco Grove. So after the kids' fun, I stopped in for a peek.

To be honest, I didn't want to leave. There were people in there that actually knew about and liked to talk about cigars! (Fun fact: I've never been to a herf either, so being able to talk cigars with other people in person was a great experience). But alas, the gf and kids were waiting in the car, so I was out in 10 minutes. Picked up a 2011 Viaje Holiday Blend robusto, 2012 Holiday Blend torp, a viaje Skull and Bones Little Boy (1st release), Tat Black petit lancero, and the guy in the humidor talked me into trying the new Cain F lancero tubo.

After leaving, went to a liquor store, picked up a 4 pack of Surly Abrasive, 6 pack of Bell's Hopslam, and a bottle of Stone Vertical Epic 12-12-12, none of which I can get in my small town liquor store.

SO I''ve made it a point to actually get down there by myself sometime, and really visit a B&M or 2, and spend enough time for a smoke or 2.

To those that have an actual B&M shop nearby, consider yourselves lucky. I wish there was an escape like that around here for me to support.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice
Default Re: Almst had my first B&M experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
So, I live in a small town. Well, 6 miles out from a small town. The "B&M" shop here is essentially a place that sells pot pipes, sex novelties, and has a small walk in humidor. The humidor is laughable at best. For a LONG time, I've wanted to visit a REAL brick and mortar shop, to see what most of you on here have actual access to.

This past weekend, I took my kids down to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area for an overnight hotel stay, then Chuck E Cheese and a small shopping spree at Toys R Us in Maple Grove. Which just so happened to be within a few minutes from Tobacco Grove. So after the kids' fun, I stopped in for a peek.

To be honest, I didn't want to leave. There were people in there that actually knew about and liked to talk about cigars! (Fun fact: I've never been to a herf either, so being able to talk cigars with other people in person was a great experience). But alas, the gf and kids were waiting in the car, so I was out in 10 minutes. Picked up a 2011 Viaje Holiday Blend robusto, 2012 Holiday Blend torp, a viaje Skull and Bones Little Boy (1st release), Tat Black petit lancero, and the guy in the humidor talked me into trying the new Cain F lancero tubo.

After leaving, went to a liquor store, picked up a 4 pack of Surly Abrasive, 6 pack of Bell's Hopslam, and a bottle of Stone Vertical Epic 12-12-12, none of which I can get in my small town liquor store.

SO I''ve made it a point to actually get down there by myself sometime, and really visit a B&M or 2, and spend enough time for a smoke or 2.

To those that have an actual B&M shop nearby, consider yourselves lucky. I wish there was an escape like that around here for me to support.
This is fabulous. There are B&M's that will disappoint you, too. Those that do not value their customers like our 1 and only shop. I don't go there but I travel to the Cigar Room in Madison, AL, Vitolas in Birmingham, Patriot Cigars in Huntsville, AL to name a few. I give these guys all high marks on customer service. If you find one, stick with them. The long haul will tell you all you need to know. If they're still helpful and friendly after visiting a few months, then you will know they are a keeper. Unfortunately, with a FEW B&M's, familiarity breeds contempt.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:

Glad that you were able to do this. I am lucky that I have a number of B&M's nearby and I try to patronize each of them when I can -- in order to keep them around.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

You had me at 'sex novelties'!

Was it just a shop or did they have a lounge you could smoke in, if not, I highly suggest if you head back to the big city see if there's a lounge, it's a wonderful experience to sit in a nice comfortable leather chair and enjoy a drink and stick. Consider it the adult version of chuckie cheese + toys r us!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

That's awesome. you'll enjoy the Cain F tubo. great smoke.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
You had me at 'sex novelties'!

Was it just a shop or did they have a lounge you could smoke in, if not, I highly suggest if you head back to the big city see if there's a lounge, it's a wonderful experience to sit in a nice comfortable leather chair and enjoy a drink and stick. Consider it the adult version of chuckie cheese + toys r us!
I could smell the smoke from the moment I stepped out of the vehicle, and I cracked a smile. It was a lounge too. Guys enjoying a book and a smoke, guys BS'ing and enjoying a cigar, and others at a table playing cards. That was one of the parts I enjoyed most about the place. I didn't take note if anyone had drinks, as I was kind of in sensory overload.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Glad that you were able to do this. I am lucky that I have a number of B&M's nearby and I try to patronize each of them when I can -- in order to keep them around.
I was a bit surprised by the prices of the cigars, but it is more of a MN tobacco tax than anything else. 70% wholesale tax. I believe that it's near the highest in the country. So a Fuente Between the Lines was 15.97, the Viaje holiday blends were 13.50, and the S&B was 13.75. Don't remember the rest that I looked at, though they did have some Summerfest sticks left that I was tempted to pick up as well.

Even so, The prices were entirely worth it for what the place had to offer its patrons.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
But alas, the gf and kids were waiting in the car, so I was out in 10 minutes. Picked up a 2011 Viaje Holiday Blend robusto, 2012 Holiday Blend torp, a viaje Skull and Bones Little Boy (1st release), Tat Black petit lancero, and the guy in the humidor talked me into trying the new Cain F lancero tubo...
... That's funny Peter. Amazing what you can accomplish in a 10 min span huh? Hope you can make it back at some point in time (by yourself) where you can spend a little QT for a day or so

And... they have a web site too

http://tobaccogrove.com/
Old 02-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

First Name: Mikael
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Bondo 287 will become famous soon enough

Excellent story, Pete. Thanks for sharing your experience. I can relate because there aren't any decent B&M by me either.
Bondo 287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

have you tried Indian River in GR. thats not too bad

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhalbrooks View Post
have you tried Indian River in GR. thats not too bad
Nothing by that name here. Are you thinking of Grand Rapids, Michigan perhaps? I'm in Minnesota. The population of the Grand Rapids here is under 10,000.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
I was a bit surprised by the prices of the cigars, but it is more of a MN tobacco tax than anything else. 70% wholesale tax. I believe that it's near the highest in the country. So a Fuente Between the Lines was 15.97, the Viaje holiday blends were 13.50, and the S&B was 13.75. Don't remember the rest that I looked at, though they did have some Summerfest sticks left that I was tempted to pick up as well.

Even so, The prices were entirely worth it for what the place had to offer its patrons.
Same here I think Cali is 63%, that being said, if you are just getting a couple sticks, considering shipping fees it's almost break even, unless you are talking top shelf stuff, those I have noticed have a premium on them at the local B&M
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
... That's funny Peter. Amazing what you can accomplish in a 10 min span huh? Hope you can make it back at some point in time (by yourself) where you can spend a little QT for a day or so

And... they have a web site too

http://tobaccogrove.com/
I told the gf once I got back out to the car that I was coming down again soon, but by myself, and checking out this place in it's entirety, plus maybe a visit to a couple others I've read about.

Yep, I actually looked up their website this morning, to order a 5 pack they had in the humi. Unfortunately, I have to pay a price higher than the website lists, because of the MN tax. But they had a 5 pack consisting of a Holiday blend robusto, two of the 50/50 (red label, different vitolas), a summer fest, and one other one for $55.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I could smell the smoke from the moment I stepped out of the vehicle, and I cracked a smile. It was a lounge too. Guys enjoying a book and a smoke, guys BS'ing and enjoying a cigar, and others at a table playing cards. That was one of the parts I enjoyed most about the place. I didn't take note if anyone had drinks, as I was kind of in sensory overload.
Both Tobacco Grove and Burn are top notch places to enjoy a smoke or three. They unfortunately do not allow you to enjoy an alcoholic beverage while smoking, though.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Tobacco Grove is a great place. Just let us know the next time you make it down
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarnold1 View Post
Both Tobacco Grove and Burn are top notch places to enjoy a smoke or three. They unfortunately do not allow you to enjoy an alcoholic beverage while smoking, though.
Mark is right. You should swing down on the 28th hit up both of them and then swing into GoodFellas on the east side for the long ash competition! Hit all three good shops in the cities! And the owner of Goodfellas let's us bring alcohol in. Whether it's legal or not though, I have no idea......
Old 02-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #17
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

It was an unplanned stop. It just crossed my mind to stop there when I remembered it was close by. Next time I'll let you guys know

The 28th? I might be able to swing that. Though I believe the gf and I have tickets to a Big Wu acoustic performance in Duluth on the 1st.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #18
BSB
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bob
Trading: (13)
Partagas
BSB will become famous soon enough

NICE! You popped your B&M cherry at a GREAT place. Tobacco Grove is my favorite MN cigar store and 2nd favorite in the country. But, those taxes are a bit*h!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #19
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

The prices - mainly from tax - are what keep me from buying a lot of cigars in my B&M. But I still try to go there once a month and pick up four or five sticks. It's a way for me to support a local business, shoot the breeze with the staff about this wonderful hobby, and try out some single cigars that are normally out of my price range (normally I'll order a five-pack online to try a new cigar, but my budget has limits.) I don't know if I'd have ever tried a My Father, Ashton VSG, La Aroma de Cuba, or AF Don Carlos if it hadn't have been for my B&M, and that would have been a damned shame.
Porch Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #20
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

B&M's can be hit or miss, and unfortunately taxes don't help out. I don't get to spend as much time at B&M's as I would like to.

Sounds like you discovered a nice spot, that's one of the beautiful things about the hobby - being able to chat and talk with people who share your passion for cigars.

It is nice to be able to herf with friends at a nice B&M, but if that's not possible, the virtual brothers here on CA are just as amazing.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote