Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 01-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about
Default Cast Iron Anyone?

Well after seeing a thread on another forum about cast iron, I went out to target and picked up a 12 in skillet by Lodge. Only cost me about $20. In the past I had always assumed cast iron was terrible and everything stuck to it. But after this week using mine I am in love! I can even cook fried eggs on the thing! Also, it makes a mean steak.

Anyone else use cat iron? If so what kinds of things do you like to cook in it?
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
crazyirishman

Default Re: Cast Iron Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnster View Post
Anyone else use cat iron?
I didn't know they made that specific club. Do you use that to chip the cat out of the litter box?

In all seriousness, cast iron is fantastic. My dad is a hobbyist that restores junk cast iron cookware and he has made some fantastic buys (and, by association, some excellent breakfasts)
Old 01-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

I love cast iron....not so fond of cat iron.....the little hairs get stuck in my food.

I do a lot of sous vide cooking and use the cast iron to create that lovely sear. Just did that with a pork butt this evening. Sooooooo tasty.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

I love cast iron....not so fond of cat iron.....the little hairs get stuck in my food.

I do a lot of sous vide cooking and use the cast iron to create that lovely sear. Just did that with a pork loin this evening. Sooooooo tasty.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I love cooking on/in cast iron. I have three cast iron skillets in the kitchen that are used constantly. My favorite piece though is a cast iron wok that never get put away. It lives on the top of the stove.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #6
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

I've got cast iron skillets from both my grandmothers that are used on an almost daily basis. I have half a dozen corn bread pans, from round pie slices, to muffin to stick that I use for all my corn bread needs. I have four sizes of Dutch ovens (kind with legs and raised rim top that I use for a multitude of outdoor cooking. I've rescued at least a dozen skillets and cornbread pans and refurbished, and have given most away to my children. It's the original non-stick surface if seasoned and maintained correctly, and we use it for at least 50% of our cooking (Stainless steel used for most of remainder. I think the only pieces I have that I purchased new were three of the Dutch ovens. The remainder were all inherited or rescued from many sources.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #7
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

I have 2 cast iron skillets that I use for everything from frying bacon to making cornbread and everything in between. I was at Tractor Supply Co. the other day and they had a dutch oven/skillet combo set on sale for $13. I'm probably gonna go pick that up some time this week. I'll probably use the dutch oven in my smoker.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #8
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

I cook all meat and some of my veggie sautes in/on cast iron it's the only way to go.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Cast iron is awesome, I use mine as often as possible.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #10
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

I got one for Christmas and have used it a couple times since and really like it.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #11
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Purchased a 12" cast iron skillet from Katom last year with deep side and a glass lid and we cook everything in it. Bought the 14" cast iron wok this year and we are enjoying a lot of stir frys.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I have a few Le Creuset cast iron pots and pans. Great for low temp braising or high heat steaks. If it is bare cast iron, seasoning is important. Don't use soap to clean pan and wipe down pan with Pam or grape seed oil before putting away.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

Wow, I never knew how many people used cast iron! MY roommates are making fun of me for using it every day almost since I got it, but I'll be darned if I cant cook everything in it!
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I haven't had much luck with cast iron pans, but then I've never bought the seasoned ones. I do however love using my Lodge cast iron dutch ovens. Mmm, I can taste braised lamb shanks right now.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnster View Post
Wow, I never knew how many people used cast iron! MY roommates are making fun of me for using it every day almost since I got it, but I'll be darned if I cant cook everything in it!
Should be the other way around... What the f do they know? It's great for many things, but does not respond good to sudden heat changes and is not the best for cooking liquids unless it's enamalized.

Remember to just wipe off or use as little water as possible to clean. Heat and scrape off works well and then just oil it.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Should be the other way around... What the f do they know? It's great for many things, but does not respond good to sudden heat changes and is not the best for cooking liquids unless it's enamalized.

Remember to just wipe off or use as little water as possible to clean. Heat and scrape off works well and then just oil it.
Water in cleaning isn't the issue. Soap is the no-no for cast iron. My typical cleanup is super hot water in pan/pot for 10 minutes or so, then wipe it out with a non-soap dishrag. If my stove is still hot, or if I'm cooking on coals, I add water to the level of whatever was cooked, then set it back on fire/heat to get water hot. Been cleaning this way for 30+ years. Only thing is, you can't put the water in it, and walk away and forget it. One day in water, and you will find yourself re-seasoning in a hurry!

For those interested in learning more, and with great recipes and links, go to the International Dutch Oven Society's site at: www.IDOS.com

I found that site in the 1990's while a scout leader, and doing a lot more dutch oven cooking than I currently do. Haven't looked at it in a couple of years. It appears that it may be a pay site to get to most of the good stuff. That's a shame. But if you are really into Dutch Oven cooking, it is probably well worth the price!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #17
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

I had two or three good cast iron pieces that we used/use all the time and just acquired a bunch more from my step grandfather. The coolest piece he had though went to my stepdad, a waffle iron similar to this link

http://static.veracart.com/generalar...et_1/50/lg.jpg
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #18
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Water in cleaning isn't the issue. Soap is the no-

Only thing is, you can't put the water in it, and walk away and forget it. One day in water, and you will find yourself re-seasoning in a hurry!
That is the issue and excessive water with a sponge I find to take off a little coating, but it's better to just have a good habit of just scrapping with a minimum of water.

I own some DeBuyer Mineral Element pans which are even more sensitive than cast iron to water that rock for cooking meat.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #19
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
I had two or three good cast iron pieces that we used/use all the time and just acquired a bunch more from my step grandfather. The coolest piece he had though went to my stepdad, a waffle iron similar to this link

http://static.veracart.com/generalar...et_1/50/lg.jpg
I got one of these probably 20 years ago in a local antique shop, and gave it to my mother for decoration. It will come back to me when passes away. The one I got has a frame around it that allows the pan to readily flip, but it also takes the cooking surface well above the usable range for a modern heating element. I figure it must have been made for old wood stoves, or maybe for open coal cooking, as I can see no way to effectively get heat to it in it's current configuration. As far as I know, my mom has never used it.

Just out of curiosity, Eric.... You ever see that waffle iron in use?
Old 01-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #20
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

There's always cast iron pans or enamel cast iron (le creuset) on craigslist for much cheaper than new. These pans last lifetimes, so no worries buying used.