Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 01-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #1
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation
Talking Jerk

Looking to try jerking some chicken once the weather warms up. Has anyone tried this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0085W...=AC_SY200_QL40

They also have a hot version but I'd like to try the mild first.

I'll admit I'm lazy when it comes to cooking and buying all the right spices kind of scares me off so I'm hoping some of you guys have tried the above item.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:49 AM   #2
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice
Default Re: Jerk

Its not bad but a little sweet for my tastes. I would recommend making your own marinade and spicing to your own tastes. Jerk marinade is really easy to make too.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Here's an AMAZING recipe that I've tinkered with for a while. We can't get "authentic" Jamaican Jerk Chicken in the states, since authentic Jerk chicken is supposed to be cooked over a bed of pimento coals, with the cooking surface being a blend of fresh pimento leaves and green branches. But since that cooking option is an impossibility outside of Jamaica (the only place that those pimento trees grow), this is about the best alternative I have tasted thus far. This recipe is just a little warm, so you may need to tweak it a little if you want more/less heat. My favorite side to serve with this is Zatarains Black Beans and Rice.
This marinade is enough for either a fryer chicken, or around 3 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast.

Jamaican Jerk Chicken
Ingredients:
1 T fresh ground allspice
1 T dried thyme
1.5 tsp cayenne pepper
1.5 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1.5 tsp ground sage
1 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 T salt
2 T garlic powder
1 T sugar
1/4 c olive oil
1/4 c soy sauce
3/4 c white vinegar
1/2 c orange juice
Juice of 1 lime
Zest of 1/2 lime
2-3 Serrano chiles, seeded and finely chopped (or 1 scotch bonnet pepper prepped the same if available)
1 c white onion, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
1-2 T Fresh grated ginger
Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Use a wire whisk to slowly add the liquid ingredients. Add onions, peppers, green onions, and ginger and mix well. Add chicken to marinade. Cover, and refrigerate overnight (A couple hours is okay too, but overnight is best).
Preheat a grill using natural lump charcoal. Remove chicken from marinade and grill, turning occasionally until internal temp reaches 160-165. Remove to a platter, and cover with foil for 5 minutes to let juices redistribute.

I can almost never find scotch bonnets where I live, so serranos have to do most of the time. I'm also thinking about ramping up the ginger next time.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

That looks like a fine tasting marinade Peter. I'm going to have to try that. Thanks for posting it...