Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
coffeemonkey
Smoking my way to the Top

Trading: (0)
Partagas
coffeemonkey is on a distinguished road
Default Boston or bust

I am making a very quick business trip to Boston, leaving tonight on a red eye (flying out of Seattle). I wish I had time to smoke a few with some locals but business agenda takes up my only evening that I am in town. However, I probably will have tomorrow afternoon to kick around town.

I'll be traveling to western Massachusetts in the morning and heading back to Boston late morning, which at that point I am free until early evening.

Any suggestions for me in the afternoon? I've never been to Boston and 6 hours isn't enough to do anything cool, but I figure I should at least do something for those 6 hours.

I hope to be back in town in the early spring and I'll extend my stay and use personal time to look the city over a little better.

I was planning on walking around Harvard, driving by Fenway (maybe take a tour if one is offered) and finding some good chowder. Good plan? how is commuter traffic getting around the city and getting to and from Logan?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Ted
Old 10-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Boston or bust

Hope you have a good trip to Boston.

I just moved up here almost two years ago so I won't pretend to know the best places to go. But as far as commuting in the city, it's really easy to get around on the T. Pick up a Charlie ticket in baggage claim at the airport. Also I think Boston is a very easy city to walk around in.

I haven't been, but a friend just went to the Sam Adams brewery and enjoyed it. Emopunker on here just went and liked it too.

Go to the north end for a cannoli if that's your thing. Chowder is good most places, but its a new thing to me so I couldn't tell you what's best.

Anyways, after not really answering anything for you, I hope you enjoy your trip and have a safe flight.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemonkey View Post
I am making a very quick business trip to Boston, leaving tonight on a red eye (flying out of Seattle). I wish I had time to smoke a few with some locals but business agenda takes up my only evening that I am in town. However, I probably will have tomorrow afternoon to kick around town.

I'll be traveling to western Massachusetts in the morning and heading back to Boston late morning, which at that point I am free until early evening.

Any suggestions for me in the afternoon? I've never been to Boston and 6 hours isn't enough to do anything cool, but I figure I should at least do something for those 6 hours.

I hope to be back in town in the early spring and I'll extend my stay and use personal time to look the city over a little better.

I was planning on walking around Harvard, driving by Fenway (maybe take a tour if one is offered) and finding some good chowder. Good plan? how is commuter traffic getting around the city and getting to and from Logan?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Ted
Quote:
Originally Posted by never_enough View Post
Hope you have a good trip to Boston.

I just moved up here almost two years ago so I won't pretend to know the best places to go. But as far as commuting in the city, it's really easy to get around on the T. Pick up a Charlie ticket in baggage claim at the airport. Also I think Boston is a very easy city to walk around in.

I haven't been, but a friend just went to the Sam Adams brewery and enjoyed it. Emopunker on here just went and liked it too.

Go to the north end for a cannoli if that's your thing. Chowder is good most places, but its a new thing to me so I couldn't tell you what's best.

Anyways, after not really answering anything for you, I hope you enjoy your trip and have a safe flight.
The North End Canoli he's talking about it as Mike's Pastries on Hanover Street. Down the Street is a Cigar Bar that used to be a speakeasy. The Cigar Bar is really cool. Mike's Pastries is a treat. A lot of people get treats for the Bruins, Celtics, and Red Sox from there, especially the Red Sox.

The Traffic shouldn't be too bad. It'll suck, but not as bad as during 6-8 or 12-7.

The Sam Adams Tour is in Jamaica Plain (West Boston), which is kind of a **** hole. I work at the Childrens Hospital, and it's not too far from J.P. Not a bad enough area where you have to worry about being mugged or anything, I just think it's a shitty area. It's a free tour, and you see the entire process. Know the bald guy from the Commercials? Yea, you'll probably see him. You also see a lot of $$$ worth of Beer. They had like 60+ barrels of Utopia, which is like $100 for 12 ounces, and Millenium with is like $1,000 for 12 ounces. Lot of money worth of Beer.

What my Wife and I do when our family visits is to take them to Mike's, Sam Adams, and then walk around the heart of the City. You can take the Prudential tower up to the top and you see an awesome view.

Hope you can stop for a smoke next Spring. Hit me up
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
coffeemonkey

Partagas

Cool, I'll try to extend the trip a little next time and grab a smoke with some of you locals. Thanks for the advice, I plan to add the Sam Adams tour to my itinerary next time.

I had a good trip this time, walked through Harvard (awesome), stopped by Fenway (double awesome), made a brief stop at Springfield Armory and then did some business. You guys have more Dunkin Donuts than we in Seattle have Starbucks, holly smokes! I dipped down to Connecticut on my way back to Boston to add that state to my list (Massachusetts was a new one too), up to 28 states visited. Beautiful country, I hope to see more when I return.

Ted
Old 11-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I would get a Hubway bicycle pass for the day. There are stations all over the city that you can drop off and pick up a bike from. In Harvard Sq, check out Levitt Pierce cigar shop for sure. Go to the North End for lunch, Il Panino express is great, cheap and next to Stanza cigar lounge. Go down Newbury St and Fenway. All can actually be done by walking if you are in decent condition.

Enjoy your stay in our fare city.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Take the busts, brother!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
coffeemonkey

Partagas

Hey folks, I'll be in Boston this week, Thursday thru Saturday if anyone is up for a smoke. Friday night is probably my best bet, though Thursday may work too if my flight is on time (I arrive in Boston 6pm).

I plan to hit Stanza dei Sigari, the Sam Adams tour, Fenway and Mike's Pastries. Time permitting I'd like to see a few more sites, suggestions welcome!

Ted
Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I plan to hit Stanza dei Sigari, the Sam Adams tour, Fenway and Mike's Pastries. Time permitting I'd like to see a few more sites, suggestions welcome!

Ted
Harvard Sq, there's an amazing cigar shop there that is a must visit. Harpoon Brewery tour, China Town (Peach Farm restaurant for food), if sunny out, go to the Top of the Hub restaurant for cocktail (amazing view).
Old 01-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
coffeemonkey

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Harvard Sq, there's an amazing cigar shop there that is a must visit. Harpoon Brewery tour, China Town (Peach Farm restaurant for food), if sunny out, go to the Top of the Hub restaurant for cocktail (amazing view).
From what I can tell, Leavitt & Peirce is the cigar shop in Harvard Square, is that the one?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
From what I can tell, Leavitt & Peirce is the cigar shop in Harvard Square, is that the one?
Yup, that is it. Very "olde" fashioned looking with good service and lot of other non-cigar items for sale you may find of interest.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #11
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Hey folks, I'll be in Boston this week, Thursday thru Saturday if anyone is up for a smoke. Friday night is probably my best bet, though Thursday may work too if my flight is on time (I arrive in Boston 6pm).

Ted
Stanza is the Speakeasy turned Cigar Bar on Hanover. Really awesome. Lots and lots of Characters. When my Father and Mother visited, he and I went there. While we were there, a Giant Boston Cop was there the entire time smoking a Cigar. He was very cool. He also wasn't impressed when I asked him if he could take our picture.

Other than that, enjoy the City bro. I won't be able to make it for a Cigar. I didn't want to seem rude by not addressing that.
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #12
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

If you have time to walk around, walk through the commons, beacon hill, some of the freedom trail etc. 7 years of coming up here and now living a short drive from Boston, I still love just walking around.

Don't know that I can have a smoke in the city this week, but if that changes I will let you know. Enjoy your trip!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #13
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Cigar Masters on Boylston St is a happening cigar bar after work. Lots of eye candy walking up & down streeet and stopping in for smoke/drink with friends.