Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
I'm not familiar with these types of grills. What is it that they do?
They are live fire grills, you basically fuel them with firewood logs (ideally oak, although almond and walnut work well too). Very simple design, big open top steel boxes and because there is no intake or exhaust air control they run hot, real hot. To control temps the grate that food sits on can be cranked up or down. They are basically just for direct cooking, they have no lids, indirect can be faked by having the grate really high up.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #4882
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
ABTs are wonderful. Prep is labor intensive but the finished product makes it worth the effort.
AGREE! Tasty treat, everyone loved 'um.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #4883
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
They are live fire grills, you basically fuel them with firewood logs (ideally oak, although almond and walnut work well too). Very simple design, big open top steel boxes and because there is no intake or exhaust air control they run hot, real hot. To control temps the grate that food sits on can be cranked up or down. They are basically just for direct cooking, they have no lids, indirect can be faked by having the grate really high up.
Thanks for the explanation. I've used one once, about a decade ago, that a friend had built while we were in Germany. I'd not heard it called a "Santa Maria", though. It was great for the steaks we were cooking, I remember that.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:26 AM   #4884
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Trying my first ever brisket on the pit barrel. Not a full packer - didn't want to invest the dough only to screw it up.

We'll see ...
Old 08-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #4885
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Trying my first ever brisket on the pit barrel. Not a full packer - didn't want to invest the dough only to screw it up.

We'll see ...
Nice! Look forward to the update.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #4886
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. I've used one once, about a decade ago, that a friend had built while we were in Germany. I'd not heard it called a "Santa Maria", though. It was great for the steaks we were cooking, I remember that.
Yeah, the concept of cooking over a live fire with the meat on giant skewers or grates that can be moved up and down is certainly nothing new and goes back centuries. The story behind the name "Santa Maria grill" and "Santa Maria tri-tip" or "Santa Maria BBQ" goes back to the 50's when it was popularized in CA by a local butcher in Santa Maria CA and then by a few restaurants.

Here's some more history on it
http://santamariavalleybbq.com/2009/...tyle-barbecue/
http://www.tmbbq.com/santa-maria-style-bbq/

From a dumb pedantic point of view, my grill was actually built by "Santa Maria BBQ Grill Outfitters" so calling it a Santa Maria grill is actually it's proper name - kind of like Pit Barrel Cookers / PBC which is really just a upright drum smoker. I know, lame.
http://www.santamariagrills.com/index.htm
Old 08-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #4887
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yeah, the concept of cooking over a live fire with the meat on giant skewers or grates that can be moved up and down is certainly nothing new and goes back centuries. The story behind the name "Santa Maria grill" and "Santa Maria tri-tip" or "Santa Maria BBQ" goes back to the 50's when it was popularized in CA by a local butcher in Santa Maria CA and then by a few restaurants.

Here's some more history on it
http://santamariavalleybbq.com/2009/...tyle-barbecue/
http://www.tmbbq.com/santa-maria-style-bbq/

From a dumb pedantic point of view, my grill was actually built by "Santa Maria BBQ Grill Outfitters" so calling it a Santa Maria grill is actually it's proper name - kind of like Pit Barrel Cookers / PBC which is really just a upright drum smoker. I know, lame.
http://www.santamariagrills.com/index.htm
Thanks for the info! My local grocery just started carrying tri-tip so I'm going to have to pick one up and have a go at it.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #4888
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Thanks for the info! My local grocery just started carrying tri-tip so I'm going to have to pick one up and have a go at it.

Cool. One word of advice, when you take tri-tip above medium-rare, it's gets really tough and loses a lot of flavor. It ain't brisket, it doesn't need to be cooked for days.

Amazing Ribs has a decent discussion on how to do it on a normal grill
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/...ip_steaks.html
Old 08-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #4889
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Quote:
Cool. One word of advice, when you take tri-tip above medium-rare, it's gets really tough and loses a lot of flavor. It ain't brisket, it doesn't need to be cooked for days.

Amazing Ribs has a decent discussion on how to do it on a normal grill
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/...ip_steaks.html
My wife and I both like our beef on the rare side, so if I take it over medium-rare things have gone horribly, horribly wrong.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:22 AM   #4890
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:

We'll see ...

Had marginal success.

On the plus side, the flavor was absolutely wonderful. Nice smoke ring with a great smoky flavor. I used a simple, mild rub of black pepper, Kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder & paprika which allowed the smokiness to shine through. Flavor & appearance-wise, this was a win.

The one (major) negative: it was on the dry side. I smoked this hanging in the PBC to about 165*, wrapped it in foil with a half cup of beef broth & put it on the grill rack until it got to 200*. Packed it in towels in a cooler and let it sit for about 4 1/2 hours. It made a nice au jus, but the meat itself was a touch dry. It was ok doused in the juice, but it wasn't juicy on its own at all, and made the meal a little disappointing.

As I mentioned in my OP, I went with a small brisket: it was roughly 4 lbs, and what I've been told by the more experienced guys on the board since is that it's difficult, if not impossible to get a moist brisket if you 're not doing a full packer.

Bottom line: the flavor experience was good enough to make me want to try this again. Next time I'll spring for the full packer and see if I can better my results.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #4891
8lug
Smoking with the Chief

First Name: Mark
Trading: (14)
Partagas
8lug is on a distinguished road

Vin,
My experience is that the Flats don't cook well and should be left for pastrami making. You really need the point and a thick fat cap intact to "self baste".
8lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:56 AM   #4892
mk05
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
mk05 will become famous soon enough

Yes. Flat's are good for braising in tomato sauce or steaming
mk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #4893
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lug View Post
Vin,
My experience is that the Flats don't cook well and should be left for pastrami making. You really need the point and a thick fat cap intact to "self baste".
So growing up in Florida we had Fat Boys' BBQ and their smoked beef was actually top rounds (think roast beef), it was a bit dryer as it isn't a fatty cut of beef, but man it's so good, I still prefer that to any brisket, left or right pointing. If you want to try something different I would go for that just to try it, oh and you just slice it really thin when serving.

A
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:22 PM   #4894
Partagaspete
I Do Medical Things

Trading: (8)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Partagaspete is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
So growing up in Florida we had Fat Boys' BBQ and their smoked beef was actually top rounds (think roast beef), it was a bit dryer as it isn't a fatty cut of beef, but man it's so good, I still prefer that to any brisket, left or right pointing. If you want to try something different I would go for that just to try it, oh and you just slice it really thin when serving.

A
I think they call that Pit Beef around these parts. in fact I went to one over in Baltimore called Chaps and it was very, very tasty stuff indeed.
Partagaspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #4895
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Vin, please keep trying. Agree with advice here about full packer. Amazing difference. You did everything right it sounds like, just the base product. I've done over 15 or so and the first few weren't great, but after a few I love them. Ususally very moist and great flavor, but it all depends on what you start with. Worth the effort!
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #4896
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Pulled pork sandwiches tonight.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:53 PM   #4897
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Had marginal success.

The one (major) negative: it was on the dry side. I smoked this hanging in the PBC to about 165*, wrapped it in foil with a half cup of beef broth & put it on the grill rack until it got to 200*. Packed it in towels in a cooler and let it sit for about 4 1/2 hours. It made a nice au jus, but the meat itself was a touch dry. It was ok doused in the juice, but it wasn't juicy on its own at all, and made the meal a little disappointing.

As I mentioned in my OP, I went with a small brisket: it was roughly 4 lbs, and what I've been told by the more experienced guys on the board since is that it's difficult, if not impossible to get a moist brisket if you 're not doing a full packer.
I don't add broth when wrapping it and I serve when it hits near 200, but actually I go by tenderness when it the temp is above 185. Depends what the brisket is "telling me". Fork does not lie.

Full packer's or even just a point cut is more difficult and expensive to find then down south.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #4898
bkv04fsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post

Wow!
Old 08-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #4899
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

From the last week or so...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pizza1_w.jpg (67.8 KB, 617 views)
File Type: jpg pizza2_w.jpg (88.1 KB, 638 views)
File Type: jpg pizza3_w.jpg (91.6 KB, 619 views)
File Type: jpg 20150802_194153-w.jpg (92.1 KB, 627 views)
File Type: jpg 20150802_201857-w.jpg (92.5 KB, 646 views)
Old 08-12-2015, 06:27 AM   #4900
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lug View Post
Vin,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk05 View Post
Yes. Flat's are good for braising in tomato sauce or steaming
Not to be contrary but what Vins got in that picture ain't even a flat. It's market brisket which is a trimmed down cut. It ain't easy smoking any butcher trimmed final cut. Too much fat and membrane have been removed from them. That fat isn't for self baisting either, but it does reduce the direct air contact with the meat which helps keep it moist.

Primals and pac-primals, which whole brisket falls into, are the best cuts to learn to smoke and to smoke IMO. Problem of course is that's always a lot of meat. OK so that's not such a huge problem.

As specific to brisket, smoking a real flat or point is no different than a whole pac brisket.

And the other brisket specific advice I can give is smoke it hot. If you are smoking brisket at under 225 you are doing it wrong IMO.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote