Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough
Default Any BitCoin users?

I saw this offer recently at the website of an offshore cigar vendor

"Save on credit card fees and receive a 5% discount by paying with Bitcoin!"

Has anybody here taken advantage of an offer like this? I think I might - I can always use a 5% discount and as long as I do not intend to leave any money in bitcoins I should be fine when the bubble bursts right?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice
Default Re: Any BitCoin users?

Bit coin is a virtual currency that made it's debut in 06 or 07 and has swelled to a currency worth of 750 million U.S. dollars. Not huge, in comparison, but gaining in popularity. Persons who 'invested' in bit coin have seen about a 40% return. It's hyped because of the Cyprus currency break down and the fact it isn't tied to any particular government, so, according to the article I read about it, Bit coin isn't subject to the volatilities of the currency market, which is why I would be scared of it. My biggest question: What or Who stands behind it if something goes sour? Now, it would be great if a large investment firm bought gold and then sold bit coin and it was backed up by the gold.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
DennisP
Come Get It

Trading: (17)
HUpmann
DennisP will become famous soon enoughDennisP will become famous soon enough

You're going to pay a fee to buy the bitcoins....
DennisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

BitCoin is a logical derivation from digital cash, original concept by David Chaum. The principle feature is that it cannot be traced (not actually mathematically proven yet for bitcoin, I don't think). As far as a currency goes, it seems to be gaining momentum. The main problem that I haven't seen adequately address is how to get your money back out. If you buy a product with them, that is one way to get money back. Of course, if you get a refund, it will be in bitcoins as well.

I think that all the little extra bitcoins that one has in their account will rapidly become like the foreign currency brought back from vacation. Put on a shelf and quickly forgotten.

It is quite likely to catch on in Euro countries except probably Great Britain and maybe Germany since if you buy at the right time, you can avoid certain currency fluxuations as long as you are flexible on the spending side.

If you can buy just enough to make the purchase and no more, then it is probably worth the effort. Dunno right now on the best ways to go about buying the bitcoins.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

not worth the 5% IMO
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Saw that, too. I'll continue to use my Visa or Amer Express.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

This from their website.

The price of a bitcoin can unpredictably increase or decrease over a short period of time due to its young economy, novel nature, and sometimes illiquid markets. Consequently, keeping your savings in bitcoin is not recommended. Bitcoin should be considered as a high risk asset, and you should never store money that you cannot afford to lose with Bitcoin. If you receive payments with Bitcoin, many service providers allow you to convert them instantly to your local currency.
Any transaction you issue with Bitcoin cannot be reversed. It can only be refunded by the person receiving the funds. That means you should take care to do business with people or organizations you know and trust.

Yah I'll pass.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
Trading: (38)
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

Currently it's main use is for drugs. Its a black market item in beta for real world use. I know it isn't exclusively for drugs, but that is where the majority is spent.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Old 04-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
timj219
Feeling at Home

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsauce13 View Post
Currently it's main use is for drugs. Its a black market item in beta for real world use. I know it isn't exclusively for drugs, but that is where the majority is spent.
Well I'm right in step then. Nicotine is a drug right? Now I can feel edgy and dangerous again like in my youth
Old 04-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
My biggest question: What or Who stands behind it if something goes sour? Now, it would be great if a large investment firm bought gold and then sold bit coin and it was backed up by the gold.
No one is backing it. It is worth X amount because people have agreed that is what it is worth (this is what is known as an "exchange valued currency").

It may sound odd - but it is the truth. Keep in mind that the US hasn't been on the gold standard since Nixon put a stop to it in 1971. There's really nothing behind the US dollar either - aside from the fact that people agree that it has value. This holds true for the US Dollar, the British Pound, the Euro, etc.

At this point, gold is used as a safe haven from fear of currency problems. When the US (and really the entire world) was crashing in 2008, everyone was fleeing from currency and into gold. The mindset being that if SHTF in a big way, gold might become the currency/bartering tool of choice going forward.

That's how I understand money/currency today, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsauce13 View Post
I'd expand that to say that it is used for anything you don't want tracked (usually for legal reasons, admittedly). Online gambling is another big market. Along with items that are embargoed for political or health reasons (cuban cigars, unpasteurized cheeses, etc).

Although right now a lot of people are using it as an investment vehicle. Just holding onto their bitcoins as the value continues to inflate.

It is interesting because bitcoins aren't just created whenever there is a need. Bitcoins are only created/released at very scheduled times, and it is clearly relayed when those times are. So what we see is the true effect of demand and demand alone. The value isn't affected by bankruptcy concerns, it isn't affected by additional money being printed, it isn't affected by an earnings release or by unemployment numbers. It moves almost at random. It is really quite interesting from an economics perspective.

That being said - I don't want any part of it. I believe that I am relatively well informed on bitcoins, but I'm just not willing to gamble on them. It is too random for me at this point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
timj219
Feeling at Home

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisP View Post
You're going to pay a fee to buy the bitcoins....
You know that really should have occurred to me I'll bet there goes the 5% and without that I'm not going to bother.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
timj219
Feeling at Home

Partagas

I have no intention of investing in bitcoins - I know enough about them to realize that only someone with more expertise and enough spare cash to take a flyer will likely profit from it. I'm looking strictly at the possibility of transactional use.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
No one is backing it. It is worth X amount because people have agreed that is what it is worth (this is what is known as an "exchange valued currency").

It may sound odd - but it is the truth. Keep in mind that the US hasn't been on the gold standard since Nixon put a stop to it in 1971. There's really nothing behind the US dollar either - aside from the fact that people agree that it has value. This holds true for the US Dollar, the British Pound, the Euro, etc.

At this point, gold is used as a safe haven from fear of currency problems. When the US (and really the entire world) was crashing in 2008, everyone was fleeing from currency and into gold. The mindset being that if SHTF in a big way, gold might become the currency/bartering tool of choice going forward.

That's how I understand money/currency today, at least.

I'd expand that to say that it is used for anything you don't want tracked (usually for legal reasons, admittedly). Online gambling is another big market. Along with items that are embargoed for political or health reasons (cuban cigars, unpasteurized cheeses, etc).

Although right now a lot of people are using it as an investment vehicle. Just holding onto their bitcoins as the value continues to inflate.

It is interesting because bitcoins aren't just created whenever there is a need. Bitcoins are only created/released at very scheduled times, and it is clearly relayed when those times are. So what we see is the true effect of demand and demand alone. The value isn't affected by bankruptcy concerns, it isn't affected by additional money being printed, it isn't affected by an earnings release or by unemployment numbers. It moves almost at random. It is really quite interesting from an economics perspective.

That being said - I don't want any part of it. I believe that I am relatively well informed on bitcoins, but I'm just not willing to gamble on them. It is too random for me at this point.
Posted via Mobile Device
All of that being said, they are tracked by governments, what you think they don't want their taxes, even on bitcoins site they bring this up several times.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Two IDs required for cash.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #16
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Police recently dragged friend's teenager out of very bad situation. Largely drugs, but the 'group' was clearly relieving people of their bitcoins, too. Steal bitcoins; buy drugs overseas with bitcoins; sell drugs here for dollars.
I have no details, but apparently the electronic security isn't quite what you might find using BoA or Citi services.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
DennisP
Come Get It

HUpmann
DennisP will become famous soon enoughDennisP will become famous soon enough

Here's a pretty interesting article if one is interested in learning about bitcoins. http://www.macroriskadvisors.com/lay...imer%20BTC.pdf

Security on bitcoins themselves is fantastic. I think some of the issues have come with the operators you can buy from.
DennisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #18
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

certainly an interesting phenomenon to watch, i know people that bought at 10 and sold at 130, making a hefty little profit. It's too volatile for my tastes, and not worth going through the efforts to aquire them solely for a single purchase, but definitely interesting to watch
Old 04-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #19
AdamJoshua

The interesting thing is there are no FINRA / AML rules surrounding bitcoins, easier for the bad guys to use them, real bad guys, not guys selling weed.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #20
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
And there in lies its value if your trying to buy items outside the US that you don't want Uncle Sam to know your buying. I only buy non-ISOMs but I can see how those buying ISOMs may find the bit coin appealing.
Weelok is offline   Reply With Quote