Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2010, 06:50 AM   #741
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

First Name: geRRy
Trading: (7)
ERdM
The Professor has disabled reputation
Default Re: Photography Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
I too really like the shot I believe picassa has a straigtening tool.

Any flash recommendations for my T1i?
Yes: Canon Speedlight 430EX II or 580EX II. You're buying about a week late, though -- they just ended a decent instant rebate on those flashes. Still ... you can get them from Amazon, B&H, Adorama, or used over at PotN or FM.

If you can afford it, there are a lot of reasons to get the 580. If you want something slightly more portable, get the 430. They're both good flashes; but the 580 is more feature-rich.

Join the CA Lottery (clicky). It's fun!!!
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #742
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
Yes: Canon Speedlight 430EX II or 580EX II. You're buying about a week late, though -- they just ended a decent instant rebate on those flashes. Still ... you can get them from Amazon, B&H, Adorama, or used over at PotN or FM.

If you can afford it, there are a lot of reasons to get the 580. If you want something slightly more portable, get the 430. They're both good flashes; but the 580 is more feature-rich.
Is the 580 worth the extra scratch??
Old 01-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #743
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
everyone must be out shooting this thread has died :-(

Old 01-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #744
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
Is the 580 worth the extra scratch??
It is if you want something more future-proof. It has a longer range/is more powerful. It has more features in terms of angles and such. It can be used as a master in a multi-flash situation ... and it can be used off camera by itself.

"Worth the extra scratch" is relative ... and totally dependent on your intended usage.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #745
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
It is if you want something more future-proof. It has a longer range/is more powerful. It has more features in terms of angles and such. It can be used as a master in a multi-flash situation ... and it can be used off camera by itself.

"Worth the extra scratch" is relative ... and totally dependent on your intended usage.
580 is a great flash, It is especially useful at work for me because if I ever have to use a full dump on it, the recharge is much better than the older 430 or 550 flashes. However, if I'm not mistaken the new 430 can sync with other flashes as well as be used off camera as the 580 is capable of.

I don't know that you will encounter too many situations in which the 430 would be incapable of something and you would absolutely need the 580 (not knowing what you do) but if it is in the right price range, the 580 does have some benefits and perks as Darrel pointed out
Old 01-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #746
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
580 is a great flash, It is especially useful at work for me because if I ever have to use a full dump on it, the recharge is much better than the older 430 or 550 flashes. However, if I'm not mistaken the new 430 can sync with other flashes as well as be used off camera as the 580 is capable of.

I don't know that you will encounter too many situations in which the 430 would be incapable of something and you would absolutely need the 580 (not knowing what you do) but if it is in the right price range, the 580 does have some benefits and perks as Darrel pointed out
I think the 430EX II can be used as a "slave" in a 2+ off-camera configuration; but the 580 is needed as the master. I like the 430; but I sometimes wish I had the 580 for the further reach, ease of use, and improved focus assist.

Either way, be sure you get the updated models (EX II) because they have improved recharge speeds, better build quality, and other general cool improvements over the old models.

Oh ... and go over to http://photography-on-the.net/forum

Old 01-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #747
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

I'm there... its like a chore to read everything (although in a good way) because there is so much posted each day that you cannot keep up with it.

I use an older 550 at work which holds up pretty well, but they also have some 430s that suck ass for recharge time and just don't have the chops to give you the light needed in some situations.

However, we are switching over to new 50Ds which are sweeeeeet. The live view feature is pretty awesome
Old 01-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #748
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
I'm there... its like a chore to read everything (although in a good way) because there is so much posted each day that you cannot keep up with it.

I use an older 550 at work which holds up pretty well, but they also have some 430s that suck ass for recharge time and just don't have the chops to give you the light needed in some situations.

However, we are switching over to new 50Ds which are sweeeeeet. The live view feature is pretty awesome

Sorry, Jim ... I was telling kenstogie to go over there. I knew you were there from a conversation we had a loooooong time ago. I'm "Dokk" over there, btw.

I've never used the old 430s; but the new one I have has *awesome* recharge time. With good batteries, I can do a 7 shot burst and it flashes every time.

Mmmmm ... 50Ds. I wouldn't mind one of those. Higher on my list, though: 5D or 5D MkII.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #749
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:

Sorry, Jim ... I was telling kenstogie to go over there. I knew you were there from a conversation we had a loooooong time ago. I'm "Dokk" over there, btw.

I've never used the old 430s; but the new one I have has *awesome* recharge time. With good batteries, I can do a 7 shot burst and it flashes every time.

Mmmmm ... 50Ds. I wouldn't mind one of those. Higher on my list, though: 5D or 5D MkII.
40 or 50D with e2n battery grip makes it sorta feel like a Mk (awesome purchase for shooting more comfortably in portrait)
Old 01-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #750
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
40 or 50D with e2n battery grip makes it sorta feel like a Mk (awesome purchase for shooting more comfortably in portrait)
Word. I've got a grip on my T1i, which helps *a lot* ... especially when there's heavy glass on it.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #751
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
Soo..um..when traveling...you guys carry a tripod, small pocket pod, or nothing?
steady hands

Need something for some long night shots tho... I like a gorillapod for limited space traveling. Beanbag will do surprisingly well in a pinch also, and takes up even less space (obviously less flexible, but still good).

Last edited by spectrrr; 01-26-2010 at 05:58 PM.
spectrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #752
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
I used to shoot with a 20d+grip and LOVED it (used to shoot with a 1d mk2 next to it also)..... but after a couple years my wrists couldnt take the weight anymore and I went to 5D's with no grip and got used to cocking my arm upwards.... much happier now
Old 01-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #753
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Snapped this today after I taught my undergrad class. Such a beautiful day ... I'm surprised converting it to B&W was the right move (it really was).

I *LOVE* this picture..... that's the type of picture I'd stick on my wall when decorating the house.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #754
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
I *LOVE* this picture..... that's the type of picture I'd stick on my wall when decorating the house.
Thanks for the high compliment.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #755
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

I have a T1I also and was recently "appointed" my sister's wedding photographer. Which I really look forward to doing but my flash situation is "limited" and would like results.

The more I use the T1I the more I like it but have found that in many situations that "Auto" feature does not get the results I am looking for not only for just depth of feild but also exposure. Also the stock lenses although OK are not where I would like them to be either.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #756
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
I have a T1I also and was recently "appointed" my sister's wedding photographer. Which I really look forward to doing but my flash situation is "limited" and would like results.

The more I use the T1I the more I like it but have found that in many situations that "Auto" feature does not get the results I am looking for not only for just depth of feild but also exposure. Also the stock lenses although OK are not where I would like them to be either.
Boy, Ken ... don't take this the wrong way; but we've got a lot to discuss. First, quit using the green box (auto). It will rarely give you good results. Switch to manual and start experimenting. Second, what kind of glass do you have on there? More important than a flash, imho, will be some fast glass -- a fast (f/1.4 or 1.8) prime or a fast-ish (f/2.8) zoom. Churches and ministers often frown on flash photography during the ceremony. Especially if you're using the kit (which has a variable aperture, at best 3.5), you're not going to get the narrow DOF you want for some of the portraits. Third, what software are you using for post? You *need* to be shooting in RAW and using wither DPP (the Canon software) or something like Adobe Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw to process the keepers you'll have. I find that the T1i is usable for small prints all the way up to ISO 3200 with post-processing. ISO 1600 should be okay for 5x7s and maybe 8x10s if you're crafty. ISO 800 will probably be key for big prints, though.

Go get on PotN (I provided a link above) and read read read. All that said, I'm assuming that you've never shot a wedding in a professional capacity and that you're newer to DSLR photography. If those are false assumptions, I'm sorry.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #757
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
steady hands

Need something for some long night shots tho... I like a gorillapod for limited space traveling. Beanbag will do surprisingly well in a pinch also, and takes up even less space (obviously less flexible, but still good).
I actually take some pics the same way I used to shoot a M16A1....steady breaths and then just fold it while I squeeze. a good portion of my shots are steady but a few that don't have VR on the lense are just shakey...

I saw one guy with an extension under the camera...it was like he carried around a golf ball retriever and stuck it under the camera for stability.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #758
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
I actually take some pics the same way I used to shoot a M16A1....steady breaths and then just fold it while I squeeze. a good portion of my shots are steady but a few that don't have VR on the lense are just shakey...

I saw one guy with an extension under the camera...it was like he carried around a golf ball retriever and stuck it under the camera for stability.
Are you just talking about a monopod? Those are pretty common ... especially since they're so portable and some can double as walking sticks.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #759
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

I haven't taken a single picture in 3 days. Damn. I need to get on it....

Old 01-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #760
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Are you just talking about a monopod? Those are pretty common ... especially since they're so portable and some can double as walking sticks.
that's prob the keyword I was searching for, thanks.

I saw a guy with a tiny digital camera and a huge tripod at Angkor Wat..I was dying laughing.