Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 06-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #3861
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Nothing because the cheap POS is full of holes.
The religious relic, cause it's holy, is on it's way out and a new pit on it's way. Pics soon.

In the mean time I'll give a hint on the new pit. Rust eating it's way through won't be much of a concern.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #3862
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

I replaced my old smoker a couple of months ago, it was a fuel hog. If I was smoking a brisket, it took over a 20lb bag of charcoal. I still have it for sentimental reasons, dad gave it to me, but I really didn't like the amount of charcoal I had to use to cook anything. So the wife agreed to let me replace it. Decided on a Backwoods Chubby. More than I wanted to spend, but it should be the last one I ever need to buy. I like it because it's insulated and I can use it during the winter and won't have to fight heat loss as much.

Backwoods Chubby by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr

Backwoods Chubby by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr
Decided it was entirely too short for me so I built a rolling cart to make it easy to move around the deck if necessary.

Chubby on a stand by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr

Today I have pork spare ribs and a couple of racks of beef ribs on it.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #3863
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
I replaced my old smoker a couple of months ago, it was a fuel hog. If I was smoking a brisket, it took over a 20lb bag of charcoal. I still have it for sentimental reasons, dad gave it to me, but I really didn't like the amount of charcoal I had to use to cook anything. So the wife agreed to let me replace it. Decided on a Backwoods Chubby.
That chubby looks like a sweet little smoker.

For about $20 you can turn your old smoker into an electric cold smoker for cheese, cured meats, etc.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #3864
MrClean
Bald Man

Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

That's a good idea Andy, never thought about that!
Old 06-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #3865
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

A new Weller SP23L soldering iron, an old soup can with the lid only partially removed or a heavy stoneware coffee mug (a shaving mug works well), some metal duct tape and a bag of smoke wood chips is all you need.

Clean the bbq and seal the vents with the metal duct tape. Punch a hole in the bottom of the can for the soldering iron barrel to go through, fill the can with chips jam the soldering iron in through the hole (make sure the "backstop" where the barrel meets the handle is not touching the can, otherwise you'll melt the handle on the iron), plug the iron in, put your food on and it'll be smoking within a few minutes. Every fifteen minutes or so, open the lid, shake the can to get fresh wood in contact with the iron barrel. Most foods will be done in 40-60 minutes.

If you use a shaving mug, just fill it with chips, stick the iron in, and stir it a bit about every 10-15 minutes.

In a 1 hour smoke, I get less than a 10F temp rise in the chamber of an 18" weber that I have dedicated for cold smoking.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #3866
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

That's a nice smoker. Good work on the cart too.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #3867
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Just started smoking some baby back ribs.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #3868
MrClean
Bald Man

Montecristo

Quote:
That's a nice smoker. Good work on the cart too.
Thanks Jason. I was worried about it being top heavy and it is a little. Smoker weighs 115lbs and it would be better if the legs flared out a little to help keep it stable, but I won't move it too often and as long as I don't try to run while while moving it, tipping shouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #3869
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Really been enjoying putting center cut, bone in pork loin on the smoker lately. Turns out super juicy thanks to the maverick dual probe thermometer. No one in their right mind should be without one.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #3870
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
That's a nice looking smoker Jeff. That's a Tel-Tru thermometer on the BC' door?
Old 06-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #3871
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

If you're not feeling industrious, this cold smoke generator seems to work well. I know a lot of the people who cold smoke sausage use these. Been thinking of picking one up myself

http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12
Old 06-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #3872
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
If you're not feeling industrious, this cold smoke generator seems to work well. I know a lot of the people who cold smoke sausage use these. Been thinking of picking one up myself

Good information Bob
Old 06-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #3873
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I see they have a version now that'll use sawdust or pellets.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #3874
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post

Thanks for the link Bob. If I ever get around to finishing the conversion of a spare file cabinet I had lying around into a vertical multi-tray smoker, one of those will be perfect for low temp / cold smoking.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #3875
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

I did 2 ten pound pork butts today.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #3876
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

Trading: (15)
Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough

Got an entry level COS yesterday, couldn't pass up the deal. I got the material to make a few mods to it already. Baffel, tuning plates, stack extension, and soon coal basket. Anyhoo... I think it's pretty good, all pictured for $205...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smoker_800x600.jpg (61.8 KB, 356 views)
Old 06-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #3877
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Of the many cheap smokers I've had Jeff, that was probably my favorite and the only one I regret selling. Good luck and good eats.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #3878
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Of the many cheap smokers I've had Jeff, that was probably my favorite and the only one I regret selling. Good luck and good eats.
Thanks Jason, that's encouraging!
Old 06-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #3879
kydsid
Ditat Deus

If you end up with keeping it up to temp, which you just might. You can use fire brick like a lot of people do to add heat mass. Or as I preferred using small aluminum trays filled with clean new playground sand. You can mold them to however thick you want and can get them to curve. Cover them with foil and they last quite a while.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #3880
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

Partagas

I will keep that in mind! I also bought some 3M fire barrier silicone to close up all of the joins and holes and have a plan in mind to correct the play at the lower edge of the main door.