Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Computer Virus

Had a strange bug on my computer when I tried to log onto the internet tonight.

Every site I tried to reach, I got a message, with an Internet Explorer logo at the top, from a Spyware company saying the site I was trying to reach was unsafe, and that I could buy their software for $49.99 to solve the problem.

When I found the icon for the Spyware company on my lower icons and right-clicked it, it began a "software" scan. Each time I hit it to stop, it would restart where it left off each time I tried to click on something else. Told me I had 74 "severe risk" viruses on my computer, and that their Spyware would fix it for $49.99.

Rebooted...nothing. Tried to log onto Yahoo, ESPN, CA, etc, and just get getting the message. Shut down, rebooted again, nothing.

Finally solved it with a system restore, restoring my computer to yesterday's settings.

Just a heads-up in case this is going around, got through all my virus protection and firewalls.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Comptter Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

Every site I tried to reach, I got a message, with an Internet Explorer logo at the top, from a Spyware company saying the site I was trying to reach was unsafe, and that I could buy their software for $49.99 to solve the problem.

When I found the icon for the Spyware company on my lower icons and right-clicked it, it began a "software" scan. Each time I hit it to stop, it would restart where it left off each time I tried to click on something else. Told me I had 74 "severe risk" viruses on my computer, and that their Spyware would fix it for $49.99.

Rebooted...nothing. Tried to log onto Yahoo, ESPN, CA, etc, and just get getting the message. Shut down, rebooted again, nothing.

Finally solved it with a system restore, restoring my computer to yesterday's settings.

Just a heads-up in case this is going around, got through all my virus protection and firewalls.
Apparently affected your spell-check in your title too..

My daughter had the same problem, but no clean restore point. Will have to reformat to completely remove it. Sounds like Conficker...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16210...ml?tk=rss_news

This virus has become active recently after freakin everyone out on 4/1.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
darb85

Quote:

Grandpa had the same thing. I ended up having to dig it out through a reg search. it sucked. freaking programs. I wonder how many people just buy the program
Old 04-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

I am convinced that these viruses are made by Norton & Co. just to sell more of their product.
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier View Post
Apparently affected your spell-check in your title too..

My daughter had the same problem, but no clean restore point. Will have to reformat to completely remove it. Sounds like Conficker...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16210...ml?tk=rss_news

This virus has become active recently after freakin everyone out on 4/1.
Based on the article, should I restore my computer to a much earlier date? Makes it sound like the bug might have been there for a coupel weeks and just gone off today...

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Based on the article, should I restore my computer to a much earlier date? Makes it sound like the bug might have been there for a coupel weeks and just gone off today...
I'd run a scan. I used the McAfee and the F-protect mentioned in the article. If you can, you could turn off your restore temporarily, just to make sure you don;t recreate it and see what happens.

My daughters PC got sick a week before the first, so I think she just picked up a stubborn virus.

You are right, though, it may have lain dormant until recently.

Where are the real nerds at when you need them? Is there a Star Trek marathon on SciFi tonight...
Old 04-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
I'd run a scan. I used the McAfee and the F-protect mentioned in the article. If you can, you could turn off your restore temporarily, just to make sure you don;t recreate it and see what happens.

My daughters PC got sick a week before the first, so I think she just picked up a stubborn virus.

You are right, though, it may have lain dormant until recently.

Where are the real nerds at when you need them? Is there a Star Trek marathon on SciFi tonight...
I am so computer un-savvy.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

Partagas

Quote:
I am so computer un-savvy.
Stop clicking on the "free cigar ****" links and you'll be ok.

My daughter picked it up through a games site. Had to be embedded in one of her games she downloaded.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Stop clicking on the "free cigar ****" links and you'll be ok.

My daughter picked it up through a games site. Had to be embedded in one of her games she downloaded.
Only thing I downloaded lately was a free Amazon MP3 of Ted Nugent....the Nuge wouldn't knife me in the back, would he?

Old 04-14-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

Partagas

Quote:
Only thing I downloaded lately was a free Amazon MP3 of Ted Nugent....the Nuge wouldn't knife me in the back, would he?
Actually, I picked up a little booger through a downloaded song from Limewire, so it's possible.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Actually, I picked up a little booger through a downloaded song from Limewire, so it's possible.
It's a Free For All, Baby!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #12
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

Partagas

Quote:
It's a Free For All, Baby!
Watch out for Cat Scratch Fever...
Old 04-14-2009, 10:16 PM   #13
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Watch out for Cat Scratch Fever...
Or that Wang Dang Sweet.....oops, this is a family forum.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:18 PM   #14
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation
Default Re: Computer Virus

Old 04-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #15
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Or that Wang Dang Sweet.....oops, this is a family forum.
As long as it's not "2 girls 1 cup"

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #16
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

Partagas

Live from the Friggemall Building, It's the Tom and Sean Show!!

We should take this on the road.

I was going to say I'd get you in a "Stranglehold", but then thought better of it..
Old 04-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #17
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Live from the Friggemall Building, It's the Tom and Sean Show!!

I was going to say I'd get you in a "Stranglehold", but then thought better of it..
If you did, I would go into "Hibernation"!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #18
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

Partagas

Well you're a "Fist Fightin' Son of a Gun" aren't you? All I got left is Little Miss Dangerous.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #19
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Tır
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Quote:

I'd buy tickets....... and then scalp them
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #20
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
I'd buy tickets....... and then scalp them
The tickets...or me and Tom?