Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 12-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
TheatyHannington
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
TheatyHannington is on a distinguished road
Default Favorite Morning Smoke?

"Early" and "Late" are relative words. For instance, I have smoked at 8AM and considered it late after a long night. This morning I lit up around 8AM and some called it early. It is this second sense that I am wondering about.

What are some blends I should try for morning and sunrise smokes? I do enjoy catching up on the news in the morning with a pipe and, well, I'm a noob looking for a little variety.
TheatyHannington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Favorite Morning Smoke?

for a cheaper morning smoke with a nice cup of coffee I like the CAO black and the 5 vegas relic
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I smoke Camel Lights in the morning lol.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
TheatyHannington
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscmit View Post
for a cheaper morning smoke with a nice cup of coffee I like the CAO black and the 5 vegas relic
While those are Cigars, and I am looking for pipe blends, I think you definition of "Cheaper" diverges significantly from mine. I am, after all, a poor, broke, newly-wedded college student (Go Vandals! ) and neither of those smokes, though good by my taste, are cheap for me. I guess cheap is relative too.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

what do you consider cheap, I thought $3 was pretty reasonable?

anyway, good luck on your search for a good morning pipe blend
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
TheatyHannington
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscmit View Post
what do you consider cheap, I thought $3 was pretty reasonable?

anyway, good luck on your search for a good morning pipe blend
My everyday cigars are 1876s. My everyday pipe tobacco is whatever the cheapest Black Cav I can find is. That cheap is cheap to me. Soon though, I will be out of college and maybe have a little money to spend on better tobacco.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road

I usually smoke a bowl of Granger or Carter Hall. These are both OTC blends and extremely well priced.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

Any pipe tobacco is cheap compared to smoking a cigar every day (try 2-3)

I am trying to get into the pipe more for that reason, right now it is Stonehaven.

I also don't mond Frog Morton to change it up every now and then.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Sugarbarrel, etc. Are good cheap blends. I'd also try Scotty's Butternut burley.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Smoked salmon.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Smoked salmon.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #12
Thammy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
Thammy is on a distinguished road

There is always Dunhills EMP, or the many replacement tins for it. Of course, not really cheap. I like some light aromatics in the morning as well, which are cheaper. I can relate to you. I am a poor, university student and almost wedded. I see where your coming from.
Thammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #13
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thammy View Post
There is always Dunhills EMP, or the many replacement tins for it. Of course, not really cheap. I like some light aromatics in the morning as well, which are cheaper. I can relate to you. I am a poor, university student and almost wedded. I see where your coming from.
I don't know what you mean by cheap, but let's say, for arguments purposes that you got a 50g tin of Dunghill EMP for $15 (which would be really expensive), and you had a **HUGE** bowl fitting 5grams of tobacco in it, then you'd get 10 pipes out of that tin - being $1.50 for an hour and a half smoke. If you are normal, and get about 3 grams in your pipe, you are down to less than $0.90 a pipe.

What I am saying is, relatively speaking, the "expensive" pipe tobaccos are really quite a value. Some of the cheaper ones I have seen mentioned here are just that, some palates can handle them, some tongues cannot. A tin of Carter Hall, while cheap in comparison would be expensive for me. I smoke one bowl, fry my tongue, and the rest of the tin gets thrown away. Not a good investment.

If you want a wonderful morning blend, try Cornell & Diehl Haunted Bookshop. In fact, check out their website, it is a neat place http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/oldindex.html scroll to the bottom of the page, and there are links there to the bulk blends listed by category; English, Virginia, Aromatic, Burley, etc...

Hope this helps.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
Thammy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
Thammy is on a distinguished road

That is actually a good point revsmoke. Well then try Early Morning Pipe by Dunhill. It is worth it.
Thammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #15
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

whatever dottles are left in my pipe from yesterday. as I usually finish my day with my best it is a great cheap way to make sure I have a strong way to wake up while maintaining an even cake in most anything I'm smoking from
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #16
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

You can't go wrong with H&H Anniversay Kake from P&C, and you can order it from them by the ounce:

http://pipesandcigars.com/ruouhobl.html

1oz will cost you $4.00 (or about $.44 per bowl)

4oz will cost you $8.45 (or about $.23 per bowl)

8oz will cost you $14.91 (or about $.20 per bowl)

This doesn't take in shipping costs (which are minimal), but will give you a ruff idea on the cost per bowl (@ 3 grams of tobacco per bowl).

You can put together a sampler of pipe tobacco's from P&C, which may be an ideal way for you to go
Old 01-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #17
TheatyHannington
Still Watching My Back

Thank you all!

Now I have some buying to do!

It is apparent that we all have widely divergent views of what is inexpensive, but it seems we all have similar views of what is cheap.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #18
TheatyHannington
Still Watching My Back

I purchased the C&D Haunted Bookshop, H&H Anniversary Kake, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, and Seattle Pipe Club Seattle Evening. Here are my first impressions:

The Seattle Evening is fantastic! It is a Latakia/Oriental, and I generally like those blends, with strong similarities to Butera's Royal English Latakia #2. What is it about almost all Latakia/Oriental blends that I do not like the smell of the tobacco, but once it is lit the divinity of the blend is overwhelming? This was no exception. I liked it better than Butera's, but have no hope of being able to tell you why. Maybe just because I didn't smoke any Butera's last night so the Seattle Evening is fresh in my mind.

The Dunhill Early Morning Pipe was phenomenal - my favorite of the bunch. I don't even know what to say about it, I was just so intrigued by the pleasure the pipe imbued me with that I forgot to note any of the flavors or changes throughout the bowl. Go smoke some yourself if you want to figure out what it is like.

The Anniversary Kake has so much written about it and I am glad to have 4 oz kicking around in one of my 3 humidors. I would compare it to sludge metal: there is an overarching heaviness, a sort of consistent, rich, full flavor, but listening closer will reveal some of the subtleties happening around the edges. Despite this overpowering heaviness, richness, deliciousness, around the edges of my flavor palette there was an interplay of flavors that was difficult to pin down but extremely alluring, insanely seductive. I love this stuff and am already thinking like an addict: I only have less than 4 ounces left, I need more. I NEED MORE.

Haunted bookshop does the exact opposite in terms of flavor, but still manages to be incredibly enticing. Instead of the heavy, richness being the center and the light flavors playing around the edges, Haunted Bookshop features the light, spicy flavors as the central scent, with the rich, heavy flavors sort of marginalized. It's a blend that I absolutely loved, but out of the four people who tried it last night, I was the only one who was smitten. However, out of these four tobacco blends, this was probably my least favorite, but I also had the smallest bowl of this.

My Wyf's Opinions:
She liked the smell of the Haunted Bookshop best, but couldn't even finish a bowl she hated it so much. The other three she loved fully. Dunhill and H&H probably tied for second in her opinion though she seemed to enjoy the Dunhill a bit more. The Seattle Evening was far and away her favorite though. She does love her Latakia/Orientals. She thought the Seattle evening had more of a cedary flavor than the Butera's, while another in the room thought it was pine.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions.

My next purchase will include some Esoterica blends, Dunhill Nightcap and 965, and Carter Hall.

Last edited by TheatyHannington; 01-26-2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Grammar sucks in the morning.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #19
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheatyHannington View Post
I purchased the C&D Haunted Bookshop, H&H Anniversary Kake, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, and Seattle Pipe Club Seattle Evening. Here are my first impressions:

Nice reviews TH...
Old 01-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #20
TheatyHannington
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Nice reviews TH...
Thank you sir!

Here are my Third Impressions:

Dunhill Early Morning Pipe: If smoked too quickly will get VERY hot quickly. This makes it smell and taste faintly of wood smoke. However, if enjoyed slowly and reasonably, it is an incredible blend, with emphasis on the edible portion of that word. Tasty tasty. Still my favorite.

H&H Anniversary Kake: Tried this while walking the other day. Did not taste good at all. I assume I was smoking it too quickly. Later that day I tried a bowl in my buddy's living room and it tasted amazing again. This stuff is phenomenal.

Seattle Pipe Club Seattle Evening: Still so good. It is stronger than the Butera's, more spice and flavor. The smoke in the room smells a little weird to me and others, but it tastes really good in the mouth. Still my Wyf's favorite, by far.

C&D Haunted Bookshop: The disparity I sensed between this blend and the others has disappeared. I don't know if it was a few days in my humidor or what, but this blend has come on strong, vying for a higher rating against the other blends. I would now say it is tied with Seattle Evening for third out of these. Like Seattle Evening, this has a solid, flavorful, spicy core with surrounding hints or dark, mellow, full-bodied flavors. This one is actually still quite good when smoked quickly or while walking. That may be one thing that helped the rating here. But I also smoked some indoors again and still really enjoyed it. I think a couple of days in the humidor really helped this out and I may slip my wyf a bowl of this to try again.

The true beauty of pipe tobacco is the social aspect of smoking. It allows one to relax while in a social situation without it being awkward or boring. The worst pipe-smoking friend is the one who is always talking, who doesn't appreciate the inspiration inherent in silence. To that end I have been sharing these blends extensively with friends. The general consensus is that Anniversary Kake is almost perfect, Dunhill is okay, Haunted Bookshop is too one-sided, and Seattle Evening is also almost perfect, except that weird note in the smoke's scent.

My Next Purchases:
Esoterica Stonehaven (God Willing)
Dunhill 965 & Nightcap
McClelland Frog Morton
McConnell Scottish Cake
Carter Hall