Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-02-2017, 07:12 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Sosa Auric Perfectum Wavell

I bought this 5×50 robusto, that is made at the El Galan factory in Nicaragua, during one of my trips to the USA, and the last time I was in a cigar shop in America was in 2014, so this cigar has a few years of age to it. The cigar is made with Nicaraguan tobacco and a Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper to create a smooth, mild to medium cigar according to the Antillian Cigars Company website. This will be the first of their cigars that I ever smoked, although I heard their name quite often.

I paid $7 for this cigar but when googling for some info on this cigar that looks expensive since Cigar Aficionado has it listed with an msrp of $5 but hey, I’m not complaining, the brand isn’t available in my part of the world so I see that 2 extra dollar as paying for the privilege to be able to smoke something I can’t get back home. And of course, when I bought it I thought the cigar was worth it, so why care now right?

The wrapper has different shades of brown, a little darker smeared on top of a medium brown wrapper and one vein running over the back. It still looks tasty though. The construction feels good, but the cap could have been glued on a little bit nicer. The ring makes up for that though, very detailed with a Cuban flag and a Dominican flag, a drawing of the island in the sea, a lot of golden details and black letters Sosa on a yellow banner, all printed nicely, high quality printer work. The aroma is medium strong and quite dark, more manure than barnyard, no ammonia or acidity at all.

I punched the cigar, my favorite way of decapping, and the cold draw is fine. There isn’t a lot of flavor in the cold draw, just some spicy raisin. After lighting I taste a medium coffee with some mosh and grassy freshness. After a few puffs I taste an earthy flavor with a good amount of citrus and pepper. Halfway I taste wood with a little lemon and nutmeg. The final third starts nutty with a faint cocoa and a little stronger nutmeg.

The draw is fine, a good amount of resistance. The smoke is reasonable, in thickness and in volume. The ash is white and firm. The burn is pretty straight. The cigar is medium bodied and medium flavored with a little evolution. The smoke time is and hour and fifteen minutes.

Would I buy this cigar again? It’s a nice, pleasant cigar but it won’t make my regular rotation list. This cigar however makes me curious about their other offerings.

Score: 88

https://cigarguideorg.wordpress.com/...fectum-wavell/