Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 11-26-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation
Default Thinking about a car ionizer

I'm looking at the Csonka Auto Smoker Cloaker they are selling at Famous. Does anyone have experience with these or have any others to recommend?

Thanks,

MCS
MajorCaptSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation
Default Re: Thinking about a car ionizer

They put out a pretty funky smell (ozone) but it covers the odors. I have been going to the carwash weekly and the foo foo smell of the cleaners etc seems to help the residual as much as anything.

Washing the inside is the only way I have found to get "that clean smell" vs old cigars as viewed by non-smokers.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
Squid
Old Man Herfer

Trading: (1)
VR Navy (Retired)
Squid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
They put out a pretty funky smell (ozone) but it covers the odors. I have been going to the carwash weekly and the foo foo smell of the cleaners etc seems to help the residual as much as anything.

Washing the inside is the only way I have found to get "that clean smell" vs old cigars as viewed by non-smokers.
You strike me as the "Fresh Hints of Lavender" scent that they put in at the car wash!
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:35 AM   #4
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
You strike me as the "Fresh Hints of Lavender" scent that they put in at the car wash!
Since it's the internet I'll only be able to "strike you" with smilies.

Fresh hings of lavender, essence of foo foo, whatever; it is beats down the essence of old guy and his cigars. SO it's all good.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
Cigary

Got one in my SUV and it works great. Every day I get into it smells like fresh air and that is after I have smoked a big fat one the day before. Be sure to let the unit work for you for at least 10 minutes after you put the cigar down. It needs to purify the air and get rid of the stale smoke.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

First Name: Sam
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough

Talk to Hardcz, he has one
Posted via Mobile Device
Buena Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

I used to sell air purifiers. Without researching the specific unit you mentioned, the basic info on all air purifiers is:

An ionizer will only knock the smoke out of the air, but it won't kill the odor. (also knocks dust and other things out of the air).

Something that puts out ozone will kill the odor. Ozone gets into things and chemically alters them. You can literally soak a rag in ammonia and hold it in front of a larger ozone generator for a few seconds and then smell th rag, it will have been reduced the basic equivalent of water.

In small quantities, ozone is harmless.
in medium quantities, ozone can be annoying.
In large amounts, ozone can be a little harmful, but you'll be very annoyed with it and even get a slight headache long before it reaches harmful levels, so don't be worried about that.

IF the unit puts out enough ozone, it should work very well to kill odors in the car. I'm sure its a very low power unit, so it would need a little bit of time to build up and become effective...... and if you chain smoke in the car, it might get overwhelmed. (maybe just get a second one then). but for the everday or average smoke, it should work.

EDIT: I just looked at the unit, it makes ozone, looks like it would work fairly well. REMEMBER, ozone is a compound that has to come in contact with the odor to work... so if you hide it under the seat with no airflow... well you get the idea, not gonna work
Old 11-28-2008, 05:40 AM   #8
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I don't like the metallic taste that ozone puts into the air. I think you should be resolved to "if you smoke in the car, it's going to smell". Also, consider a smoking jacket in the car.

If Enzo Ferrari smoked cigars in his cars, why shouldn't I? Febreeze works well in neutralizing odors.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #9
Nelson
Herfosus addictus

Trading: (0)
Nelson is on a distinguished road

I have one also. It does require that you put up your windows and let it run for several minutes with the AC cranking. I smoke in my car occasionaly and this unit is constantly on, wether i smoke or not. It does help with the odor, but what i found to be the most effective is to bring down all windows and let the air flow, if on the freeway, i crack my sunroof a bit and it acts as a huge vacuum sucking out all the smoke(pretty cool to watch too). Ventilation is the name of the game.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:38 AM   #10
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

All I can say is: Thank you God for leather interior!

My leather doesn't hold a smell, EVER. So I just have to occasionally spray odor-eater on the headliner and carpets and I'm good to go.

For the record, the Ozone generating cleaners work BEST if you roll up your windows, and set your A/C to recycle interior air but leave the actual cooling turned off (just circulate the air inside basically), and then idle your car for about 15 minutes.

I used one for a while in my old car. I'd get to work early with some coffee and a quick smoke, and then idle my car for about 15-20 while I smoked, drank coffee, and read the paper leaning against it.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #11
schnell987
Grateful to the 11

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
schnell987 is on a distinguished road

On another board, I read about a product called Pure Ayre...the folks at that board thought it worked wonders.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #12
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I ended up getting this: http://store.renewalenterprises.com/p004watershed.html I've been using it for a couple weeks. Today, I used Silound's method and it worked very well. 15 minutes running the AutoPure with the air on recyle and there was almost no trace of cigar smell.

MCS
MajorCaptSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:19 PM   #13
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: Thinking about a car ionizer

I had this unit recommended by a friend of mine, who has the larger unit in his office: http://www.amaircare.com/Product-XR100.shtml

It's supposed to work very well, and when I get mine, I'll be sure to post a review of how well it actually DOES work.