Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Jose Benito BARONS (Robusto) - JR closeout

I never ever review NC cigars, but here I go doing it. From time to time I buy a lot of cigars for the troops from JR,
and while it is not good for my savings plan, I can't help spending a little cash on cigars for the troops, even though
I have been a good boy lately and stayed away from it for a year. I am saving for a foreclosure cabin that will
eventually show up if I keep saving my money.

Blablabla. And so it came to pass that I was JUST about to check out, with a very nice low number in the
"cash owed JR" column, but I thought, 'maybe I should check the closeouts.' Th only reason I even WENT to
JR was that I have to create a custom humidor for the Troop Support Auction lot I have up, and what I do
is buy the so-long-ago discontinued "Bock y Ca" cigars that are packed in what is basically a humidor.
Not a chest with collars, an actual near-humidor. So the only size still available IN THE HUMIDORS
is the Coronas, the rest are bundles. So i got three boxes of these so I could get three humidors to paint.

Dang, sidetracked again. ANYWAY, IN the closeout section, for 35 bucks a cedar chest of 25, you can
get "Jose Benito" cigars, I selected robustos...I figure they are going to the troops anyway, toss em in the
kart. Well I saved back two for me, and a few for some work friends, and put the rest in the mail to Scott.

Lit one up tonight, and not only is it a perfectly aged cigar with plenty of flavor, I had forgotten
how unique Dominican Piloto Cubano is, and how great it tastes aged. It is unfortunate that this is
basically a review, because I can't really peg the flavor, but it is the Dominican version of Cuban twang,
not QUITE the 'metallic' flavor people complain about, but rooted in that minerally, fresh, rich, creamy
flavor that is unique to this kind of tobacco. There was a recent thread, 'what might be a good creamy
but cheap cigar I can smoke while I wait to get rich' kind of thing...well, I highly recommend these cigars.

For about a dollar-twenty apiece, this is a terriffic cigar. The aged nature of it coupled with the generous
ring gauge is just a mouth-watering combination. I am not saying you should go out and buy up the rest of
the stock, but if you regularly shop JR, or are thinking about picking up some staples you can just smoke without
thinking about the price, you HAVE to get some of these cigars. I don't rate NC cigars, usually because I
just don't have my finger on that pulse. I do not have an accurate baseline by which to judge a quality NC
cigar. but I know what I like, and it ain't NC cigars. But I love these. Bottom line is, in a world that is flat out
OVERTAKEN by strong Nicaraguan blends and Equador Sumatra, this is a really refreshing smoke. A perfect
palate cleanser that would go GREAT with a summer beer and a nice spring afternoon. It is not the kingpin
cigar of the 21st century, but it is ONLY A BUCK AND CHANGE, and that MAKES it a fantastic cigar.

I would give it a buy now rating

http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm...%20BARONS.html
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Ismith75
Tin Cup Chalice

First Name: Ian
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Ismith75 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Jose Benito BARONS (Robusto) - JR closeout

These caught my eye, just snagged a box. Thanks for the suggestion
Ismith75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
saigon68

Thanks for that info. Planned on going to JR's pretty soon.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

As you are in NYC, let me advise you that I do NOT KNOW if you can walk into the store and get these,
they may be a strictly online deal, but best of luck to you if you CAN get em in the store. Let's hope they are
$35 there, too.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
Ismith75
Tin Cup Chalice

Bolivar

Brad was right on the money with these. Super creamy, nutty...just great aged tobacco. Really good construction, nice change of pace cigar. Definitely grabbing another box
Old 05-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
OLS
Suck It

Hehe, that's GREAT!
I am always glad when I find out I am not crazy...er than I thought.
I guess I am going to grab another box too, since for some reason, I like these a lot.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
OLS
Suck It

Not that anyone else was going to rush out and corner the market on these, but my SECOND stick was blah,
like a JR Alternative or something. No real flavor to speak of, just burning leaves. I am going to smoke some
more to get a better representative sampling. My first WAS EPICLY GOOD. Still a good deal no matter what,
I just thought there might be more consistency.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
Ismith75
Tin Cup Chalice

Bolivar

I've smoked four, three were really good, one was barely smokeable...way too loose and hot. For the price, still a great buy.