Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice
Default Recommend work gloves?

So I've been working at the Chobani plant for about 2 months. In that time I've gone through 3 pairs of Wells Lamont gloves from Wally World, and 2 pairs of Home Depot's FG brand. Can anyone suggest a pair of durable work gloves? My job mainly consists of handling cardboard boxes and wooden pallets, but I also need enough dexterity to write, peel shipping labels, operate control panels for machinery, etc. Also, the gloves would need to survive getting wet. Since we produce food, we clean equipment often to compy with FDA regs. Any suggestions?
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Recommend work gloves?

I use ones called black stallions at work. Love them.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

When I was in the fire service and racing I always had good luck with Ringers Gloves.
http://www.ringersgloves.com/
Old 07-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

The ones I have had the best luck with are the sold by Uline.com they are the polyurethane coated gloves. They are cheap enough that you can switch pairs every week. They last me a long time handling boxes.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:51 AM   #5
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
I use ones called black stallions at work. Love them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
When I was in the fire service and racing I always had good luck with Ringers Gloves.
I'll check these two out, thanks. Any specific models on the Ringers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
The ones I have had the best luck with are the sold by Uline.com they are the polyurethane coated gloves. They are cheap enough that you can switch pairs every week. They last me a long time handling boxes.
Thanks, I'll check them out, but I think I'd rather spend a little more for something that will last longer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2011, 05:30 AM   #6
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

I have used these quite a few times and they are tough as nails and pretty easy to use equipment. http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/p...ended_products
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:53 AM   #7
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

I use Mechanic brand gloves. They are durable but still have enough feel where I can do searches and pat downs on people that get the sliver bracelets.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_B View Post
I have used these quite a few times and they are tough as nails and pretty easy to use equipment. http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/p...ended_products
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
I use Mechanic brand gloves. They are durable but still have enough feel where I can do searches and pat downs on people that get the sliver bracelets.
I'll check these two out as well. Thanks, guys!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
Scothew
CA Scott #2658

First Name: Scott
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Scothew will become famous soon enoughScothew will become famous soon enough

Quote:
+1!!!

I use extrication gloves made by them and they are top notch. These specifically http://www.ringersgloves.com/p-extrication.php (and i have put them through hell basically.

Since your not taking a beating with metal hits or anything, may not need something that severe, but they have some that are designed for industrial and all. Maybe check these out. http://www.ringersgloves.com/p-handlerplus.php

Not sure how that would comply with FDA regs.
Scothew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Best I ever had were issued to me in the softest baby's-ass leather with wool liners,
right after the worst haircut I ever got.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #11
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

With the Ringers I used the Extrication gloves when I was still in NY and in the fire service. May be overkill for your application like mentioned earlier. I think I managed to make two pairs last over 5 years and those gloves got a good work out. I only tore one pair and that was more or less out of stupidity. The short time I worked in racing when I first moved to NC I used a pair like the over the wall model which looks updated from when I used the, and they lasted a good couple of years and were beat pretty badly.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Quote:
With the Ringers I used the Extrication gloves when I was still in NY and in the fire service. May be overkill for your application like mentioned earlier. I think I managed to make two pairs last over 5 years and those gloves got a good work out. I only tore one pair and that was more or less out of stupidity. The short time I worked in racing when I first moved to NC I used a pair like the over the wall model which looks updated from when I used the, and they lasted a good couple of years and were beat pretty badly.
I have never had a pair of gloves last me more than two weeks at work, and that is taking it easy. I've tried some gloves from $3-$20 and they both last about the same time. Ill have to get a pair of these and see how they do.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scothew View Post
+1!!!

I use extrication gloves made by them and they are top notch. These specifically http://www.ringersgloves.com/p-extrication.php (and i have put them through hell basically.

Since your not taking a beating with metal hits or anything, may not need something that severe, but they have some that are designed for industrial and all. Maybe check these out. http://www.ringersgloves.com/p-handlerplus.php

Not sure how that would comply with FDA regs.
I love my Ringers extrication gloves. Use them to cut up cars at work.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #14
mariogolbee

Bare hands and callouses? That's what I mostly used when I was doing carpentry full time. The only time I ever used gloves was when I did demo or a dump haul.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #15
Scothew
CA Scott #2658

Trading: (5)
Partagas
Scothew will become famous soon enoughScothew will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
I love my Ringers extrication gloves. Use them to cut up cars at work.
I encouraged my department to get extrication gloves for everyone at my station. They ended up getting shelby 2500's about 2 yrs ago. No one hardly uses them since I mainly end up on cutting duty. Mine are still sitting brand new in my locker since my ringers still are holding their own with no problems. The ringers are far more comfy than the shelby's.. with the rubber moulding on it, i dont even think it would break in and be as nice as ringers. http://www.shelbyglove.com/fire/extrication-rescue.html first ones on the page, just a slightly older design.
Scothew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #16
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I use the Lowe's Kobalt brand pretty much exclusively. They're about 20 bucks a pair, but I can do anything without taking them off. I get my 20 bucks worth out of them, but they aren't particularly durable.
Back when I was doing real work for a living, I used thin buckskin welder's gloves, the type we used for heliarc. You have to find good american made ones, the chinese ones are crap. A good pair of deerskin welder's gloves will outlast anything, and you get a reasonable amount of dexterity with them on.
If I come across some in the garage, I'll send them out to you, brother. I'm thinking I unearthed a couple pairs, I just have no idea where they went, my garage is still upside down from moving.
Try the Kobalts, then hit a welding shop and buy the good heliarc gloves. The cost will gag you, but they last.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #17
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
Thanks, I'll check them out, but I think I'd rather spend a little more for something that will last longer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hold a second - not so fast to bypass this type of glove. I might be what you would call a closet glove fanatic. I have them costing from a few bucks to a hundred or so. I have gloves everywhere around the house, in my sheds and truck. Gloves to me are like any tool - the right glove for the right job. That being said - let's look at your requirements:

01. My job mainly consists of handling cardboard boxes and wooden pallets. . .
Check. The rubber/polyurethane gripping action on cardboard boxes will actually cause you to use less grip resulting in a more relaxed hand. Wooden pallets - excellent abrasion and splinter resistance.

02. need enough dexterity to write, peel shipping labels, operate control panels for machinery, etc.
Check. These gloves, correctly sized, are form fitting allowing you to perform the mentioned tasks with no problems.

03. need to survive getting wet.
Check. The body of the glove is knit with a rubber/poly covering. Water is not an issue. I actually wash mine. I have a ton of these gloves and when enough of them get dirty - I just collect them all and toss them in the washer/dryer. In addition - when they do get wet they still perform and don't become heavy.

As for the statement that was made that you could switch pairs every week, I think he was just alluding to the fact that they are extremely affordable. They actually are quite durable.
I buy these at various supply houses (not at Home Depot/Lowes etc). At work we do a ton a masonry and steel work (structural foundation repair company) and my guys all love them because they are lightweight and last. And believe me - nothing tears up gloves faster than masonry work.

Personally - these are my favorites:

DeWalt DPG70L-3PK Coated Gripper Gloves - about $12 bucks on Amazon.

Anyway - food for thought.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #18
mariogolbee

While working for a roofing company I used similar gloves as to the Dewalts mentioned above, They worked great for working with sheet metal, mastic, tar, and tear-off (demo). The ones I used were blue and white but they looked exactly the same. After a year I think I only wore out one pair. Great all around gloves. Great grip, flexibility, and extremely light. Almost like not wearing gloves at all.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #19
NeuRon
Formerly BigRonS

First Name: Ron
Trading: (22)
NeuRon will become famous soon enoughNeuRon will become famous soon enough

PM me your address sir

and also, what size glove you usually wear
NeuRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #20
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

I'm not sure why, but this thread is cracking me up!