Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #621
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

First Name: geRRy
Trading: (7)
ERdM
The Professor has disabled reputation
Default Re: iphone 4 just announced.

I'm sure AT&T ol'timers already know this; but I just found out tonight. If you're on certain plans (e.g., the Family 1400 plan that I'm on), you've got a feature called "A-List," which lets you specify up to 10 numbers (landline or cell) for unlimited talk time. As such, I was able to add folks like my parents, the DrMS's parents, and a few different friends who aren't on AT&T ... and now we'll get unlimited talk time with them.

Just wanted to share as an AT&T newbie.

Join the CA Lottery (clicky). It's fun!!!
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #622
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

my phone is now in Memphis....getting antsy lol
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #623
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
I'm sure AT&T ol'timers already know this; but I just found out tonight. If you're on certain plans (e.g., the Family 1400 plan that I'm on), you've got a feature called "A-List," which lets you specify up to 10 numbers (landline or cell) for unlimited talk time. As such, I was able to add folks like my parents, the DrMS's parents, and a few different friends who aren't on AT&T ... and now we'll get unlimited talk time with them.

I've been with AT&T for several years and just found this a couple of months ago. It has been saving me 500-600 minutes a month!!!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #624
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I've been with AT&T for several years and just found this a couple of months ago. It has been saving me 500-600 minutes a month!!!
Yeah ... it's going to save us a TON. Basically, all of the people we talk to regularly who happen to not be on AT&T are now on our A-List. We're going to be rolling over a ridiculous number of minutes.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #625
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Never heard if it and have been with AT&T since the 3G. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #626
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
Never heard if it and have been with AT&T since the 3G. Thanks for the heads up.
It's only certain plans -- 1400 Family plan and up, not sure about the individual plans.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #627
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitdavi View Post
my phone is now in Memphis....getting antsy lol
leaving Memphis now. Kinda surprised they are still moving packages on a Sunday. It's getting closer!!
Old 07-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #628
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post

I just wished the offered the A List in the 700 minute plan. With the A List, unlimited mobile to mobile, and unlimited nights and weekends my wife and I never use more than 500 minutes.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:05 AM   #629
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I noticed an app for Sirius radio. I have Sirius on a couple of different receivers and pay something like $10 a month for them. The app based one is $2.99. If I use it though will that be considered "data?" If it is I imagine I could run up quite the bill.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:22 AM   #630
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
I noticed an app for Sirius radio. I have Sirius on a couple of different receivers and pay something like $10 a month for them. The app based one is $2.99. If I use it though will that be considered "data?" If it is I imagine I could run up quite the bill.
If you're streaming it on the 3G network, it would be "data." If you streamed it on a wifi network, it would not count against your 3G data cap.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #631
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

Syncing now
Old 07-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #632
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

One just got delivered.

The other is still: On FedEx vehicle for delivery

Why they would deliver them separately, I have no idea.

Last edited by aich75013; 07-06-2010 at 09:24 AM.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #633
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

Had a nice little surprise today. Hooked up the new iPhone to sync and get a nasty little message saying "iphone not compatible with this OSX version. Needs 10.5.8 to work". Was kind of pissed because it works on every version of windows but Apple is screwing their own people. I can't upgrade to 10.5.8 because it requires and intel processor and I'm running 10.4.11 on the last PPC they made before they switched over to the intel chips. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that it wouldn't be compatible with my computer. Oh well.....was able to activate it with Katie's computer, I just wont' be able to put any music on it until we buy that new desktop we've been eyeing. Usually I am a big defender of Apple but today I was really HOT!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #634
jaydub13
aka Little Pickle

First Name: Jason
Trading: (5)
Partagas
jaydub13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It sure is, as is XM radio and Pandora. Here's a frame of reference for you: I had a customer who used XM radio at his desk to the tune of 40hrs a week. Comes out to about 7-8GB of data a month. For those with unlimited, no sweat. For those without, as was said earlier, go with WiFi. Actually a surprising number of apps use data. The iPhone is a data HOG.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #635
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

my wife's out of town for a few days. we're doing some redecorating, which (of course) I've been put in charge of implementing; but I ran into some issues with the proposed changes (i.e., they weren't possible). knowing that a simple explanation wouldn't do, I was able to *show* her using FaceTime. very cool. it was also neat, of course, to be able to talk to her "face-to-face" from a thousand miles away.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #636
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitdavi View Post
Had a nice little surprise today. Hooked up the new iPhone to sync and get a nasty little message saying "iphone not compatible with this OSX version. Needs 10.5.8 to work". Was kind of pissed because it works on every version of windows but Apple is screwing their own people. I can't upgrade to 10.5.8 because it requires and intel processor and I'm running 10.4.11 on the last PPC they made before they switched over to the intel chips. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that it wouldn't be compatible with my computer. Oh well.....was able to activate it with Katie's computer, I just wont' be able to put any music on it until we buy that new desktop we've been eyeing. Usually I am a big defender of Apple but today I was really HOT!
I was pretty sure that 10.5 (Leopard) does work with PPC processors, it's 10.6 (Snow Leopard) that is Intel only...

Mac OS X v10.5 "Leopard" was released on October 26, 2007. It was called by Apple "the largest update of Mac OS X". It brought more than 300 new features.[86] Leopard supports both PowerPC- and Intel x86-based Macintosh computers; support for the G3 processor was dropped and the G4 processor required a minimum clock rate of 867 MHz, and at least 512 MB of RAM to be installed. The single DVD works for all supported Macs (including 64-bit machines). New features include a new look, an updated Finder, Time Machine, Spaces, Boot Camp[87] full support for 64-bit applications (including graphical applications), new features in Mail and iChat, and a number of new security features. Leopard is an Open Brand UNIX 03 registered product on the Intel platform. It was also the first BSD-based OS to receive UNIX 03 certification.[3][88] Leopard dropped support for the Classic Environment and all Classic applications.[89] pre-installed,
It was the final version of Mac OS X to support the PowerPC architecture.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #637
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

I have 10.5.8 on my Mac G4 ppc with no issues.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #638
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Wife got the iPhone 4 today. I think she is more excited about the flash for the camera than anything else.

I can't decide whether or not to get the black version this week when it comes in or the white version at the end of the month (or later if I can't get one when they come out).
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #639
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
Wife got the iPhone 4 today. I think she is more excited about the flash for the camera than anything else.

I can't decide whether or not to get the black version this week when it comes in or the white version at the end of the month (or later if I can't get one when they come out).
Just know this, some cases eff up the flash. For example, the Griffen Reveal (black sides, clear back with cutouts for the flash and lens) refracts the light in such a way that it washes out every picture using the flash.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #640
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Good call Dokk. I went with a skin from ZAGG. It keeps the profile slim, lasts a long time and all the cutouts are perfect. Had one on my last iPhone and lived it. Just my double penny worth of insight.