Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #161
Fishbeadtwo
Another nut j0b

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (9)
Bolivar
Fishbeadtwo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ask The Rabbi!!

Here's an early/easy one for ya Rabbbi, is there such a thing as kosher livestock food to make the split hooved animals super kosher and also, is there a special guy who inspects the kosherization process?
Old 05-21-2009, 07:50 AM   #162
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by htown View Post
That is the most ****ed up post I've ever read on a cigar board.
agreed.
My music and food choices must have gotten to people...
Who'da though Led Zep, Prime Rib and a Padron '26 #1 would be sooo controversial?
Old 05-21-2009, 08:33 AM   #163
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Shilala has been PMed. (so far)
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:05 AM   #164
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbeadtwo View Post
Here's an early/easy one for ya Rabbbi, is there such a thing as kosher livestock food to make the split hooved animals super kosher and also, is there a special guy who inspects the kosherization process?
I'll let the Rabbi answer this, but just to let you know my dad koshers several food businesses including a chocolate factory! Its always fun to come home that day and have boxes (and I'm talking big ones) of chocolate waiting around for everyone.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #165
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
I'll let the Rabbi answer this, but just to let you know my dad koshers several food businesses including a chocolate factory! Its always fun to come home that day and have boxes (and I'm talking big ones) of chocolate waiting around for everyone.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #166
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbeadtwo View Post
Thanks.

No there is not feed I am aware of, though conspiracy theories abound...
(Most kosher butchers make a large portion of profit on selling the animals that are deemed not-kosher for non-kosher meat, as well.)

Yes there is a special guy who inspects "kosherization". He is called a Mashgiach - "Supervisor", he doesn't necessarily have to be a Rabbi, and his duties can vary according to what product he is the kashrus supervisor for. They are found in all Kosher (not Kosher-style) establishments, restaurants, factories, dairy plants, slaughterhouses etc. It can be a pretty intense job and also can pay very well, obviously depending on the situation. I have served as a Mashgiach before (in Hawai'i actually )

here is a great link on all things Kosher:

http://www.chabad.org/library/articl...h/Handbook.htm
Old 05-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #167
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice

Whoops on the "non-secular" slip! Thanks for the correction.
Maybe I should have written dis-non-secular?

OK, let's get this back on track:

I presume from some of your comments that you were not religious for a good chunk of your life, & then experienced a spiritual awakening.
What caused you to embrace Judaism with such fervor?
Where & when did you pursue your rabbinical studies?
Old 05-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #168
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin5 View Post

I presume from some of your comments that you were not religious for a good chunk of your life, & then experienced a spiritual awakening.
Good questions!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #169
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Simple question from me... I've just always assumed it was a language thing, but...

Hanukkah versus Chanukah

Why the spelling differences?
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #170
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

My sincere apologies, Gentlemen.
I explained to Dave in a pm that my best friend growing up happens to be Jewish. We both share a "Monty-Pythonish" sense of humor about our religions, and have spent years one-upping each other. It's always been in jest, and he and I both respect each other's Faith, as well as others.
I hadn't immediately imagined I'd offend anyone when I made that post, nor was it my intent. I will admit I thought it might be a bad idea, and that's why I quoted the earlier joking comment. I thought the context and the content would make it obvious it was simply jest..
Had it not been so early, I'm sure I'd have known better. It was certainly not something I should have posted here.
htown, Tom and Dave, I hope you can forgive me. My intent was neither to upset or hurt any of you, but it's obvious I have.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #171
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice

No sweat, Shilala -
I have the same problem sometimes with my humor.

That's why they won't let me attend the Zionist Conspiracy Conventions anymore.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #172
nozero

Thumbs up Re: Ask The Rabbi!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
Simple question from me... I've just always assumed it was a language thing, but...

Hanukkah versus Chanukah

I'm going to toss out a guess here, if I may? Transliteration or transcription?
Ive seen even more spelling variations of that word.

Last edited by nozero; 05-21-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #173
htown
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (29)
RyJ
htown will become famous soon enoughhtown will become famous soon enough

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
My sincere apologies, Gentlemen.
I explained to Dave in a pm that my best friend growing up happens to be Jewish. We both share a "Monty-Pythonish" sense of humor about our religions, and have spent years one-upping each other. It's always been in jest, and he and I both respect each other's Faith, as well as others.
I hadn't immediately imagined I'd offend anyone when I made that post, nor was it my intent. I will admit I thought it might be a bad idea, and that's why I quoted the earlier joking comment. I thought the context and the content would make it obvious it was simply jest..
Had it not been so early, I'm sure I'd have known better. It was certainly not something I should have posted here.
htown, Tom and Dave, I hope you can forgive me. My intent was neither to upset or hurt any of you, but it's obvious I have.
htown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #174
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHagen View Post
oy!

is just yo! backwards
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #175
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin5 View Post

I would really need an ice-cold bottle of vodka and an 'A' vitola cigar to go into all the details...

But, since you asked, I'll give some background info.

I grew up in a very secular/Reform household. Temple 2-3 times a year, no Kosher, No Shabbos, Nary a Mezuzah etc., didn't know what those things really were, but I grew up in a very warm, thinking, open-minded, moral, caring home. So I had that foundation. As I got older, I guess you could say I became a full-fledged 'hippie', although my environs were the LI suburbs, and eventually I left for college in Ann Arbor, I was kinda able to let my 'freak-flag-fly' and I was totally out there. I worked in the music industry throughout college. Lived a pretty psycedelic existance. I also studied different Cultural Literature extensively in college - Native American, Chinese, Latin American, Tibetan and of course Jewish literature - much of it mystical. I also studied religions and ethnobotany, in addition to my coursework in English Lit and Anthropology. This might be another foundation I built upon. During and after college I was always seeking, exploring, traveling etc. From Native American reservations to the Hawai'in rainforest etc., I was into the supernatural through au naturale. Eventually, I started having more of an awareness of my Jewish identity, meeting random, very diverse Jewish people, still reading etc. and came to the conclusion I needed to check out Judaism and see if I could find a more 'real' 'true' and 'vital' Jewish spirituality then the one I was raised with. After all I was a Jew, so I definitely owed it to myself to try to reconnect to that, in the midst of all of my other explorations. If it was to suit me, satisfy my spritual, intellectual cravings, and be a practical, vital way of life, great, if not, on to the next thing (which was going to be getting a horse and riding the length of S. America starting in Durango, Mexico ). Alas, I met a whole diverse group of Jewish people from all walks of life at the national Rainbow Gathering in Montana. After I returned from Hawai'i by way of SanFran, I took a stripped and refurbed giant school bus, with wood-burning stove, electrice generator, oven and range top, couches, beds, foutons etc. with 21 friends out from Eugene, OR to the Continental Divide in Montana. There was a "Jerusalem Kitchen", the whole Rainbow is made up of different "kitchens"/camps (Jazz Kitchen, the Texas Kitchen , the blahblahblah kitchen etc... 30,000 people total) where you could find delicious food and every type of Jew you ever could imagine. I was pretty blissed-out and decided to stay in touch with some of the people I had met, learned from, gotten books, did the Shabbos thang, put on Tefillin and thought about going to Israel. Alas it didn;t come to fruition. I had moved back east to NY for family reasons, and two days before I was supposed to leave for Israel, the intifada broke out, and my parents asked me to at least postpone my trip (also, I did not have the understanding then of solidarity with the people living in Israel). So I did. I felt stuck back east, and began exploring different synogogues, you name the Jewish sect, I have been by their temple, or hung out with, learned from them. I met this pretty famous actor in Manhattan, who asked me about my funky hippie, Jewish look, turned out to be interested in his own Jewish background and he gave me his West Village apt. for as long as I wanted. I said great, moved in and began learning Torah part time in Hadar Hatorah yeshivah - the FIRST Yeshiva EVER for Jewish men who are as yet unobservant, with little or no Jewish knowledge. It was started by the Lubavitcher Rebbe in 1962. Why I decided to go there? No, not only because Bob Dylan would go there for a spell often, but after all my searching, I felt (and feel) that Chabad-Lubavitch Chassidus is the deepest, most spirtual and simultaneously real and practical for of Judaism on the face of the earth. I found that they follow Jewish Law 110% without compromise, follow and ACTUALLY LEARN OPENLY, in depth, Jewish mysticism also without compromise (aka Kabbalah (- not Hollywood style)) and do not isolate themselves from the world, but rather constantly engage the world (Jew and Non-Jew) and try to make it a better place. We are accepting of all Jews no matter their level of observance - non-judgemental. After learing in Hadar Hatorah for 2 years, I went to the central Lubavitch yeshiva at 770, world lubavtich hq and began learning for Rabbinical ordination, 2 years later I married my wonderful wife, learned for 1 year more in Kollel (yeshiva for married men) and then went to start a Chabad house on a college campus and taught Judaic studies as a professor there as well. We have 3 kids, B"H. phew...

Last edited by TomHagen; 05-21-2009 at 10:13 AM.
TomHagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #176
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

My sister came back from living on a kibbutz one time , and my mom started buying kosher meat. It tastes better than regular meat in the many side by side comparisons i've done. yum
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #177
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post

Hanukkah versus Chanukah

Very frequent question.
Just a common variance in transliteration, there is no meaning/advantage to one or the other. There is no right or wrong way to transliterate, per se.

The word in hebrew is always spelled and pronounced the same.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #178
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
My sister came back from living on a kibbutz one time , and my mom started buying kosher meat. It tastes better than regular meat in the many side by side comparisons i've done. yum
My sister also did side by side and Kosher won hands down!!

I say...
Stop with the side by side comparisons - GO KOSHER!!

True, Funny story...

I met this guy at a Pesach (Passover) seder, who only eats raw foods, including raw meat. He started keeping Kosher and said the meat was the best! He especially liked meat with the CHK (Crown Heights Beis DIN) heksher.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #179
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozero View Post
I'm going to toss out a guess here, if I may? Transliteration or transcription?
Ive seen even more spelling variations of that word.
Transcription as a mapping from sound to script must be distinguished from transliteration, which creates a mapping from one script to another that is designed to match the original script as directly as possible.

Transcription is often confused with transliteration, due to a common journalistic practice of mixing elements of both in rendering foreign names. The resulting practical transcription is a hybrid that is called both "transcription" and "transliteration" by the general public.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #180
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHagen View Post
Stop with the side by side comparisons - GO KOSHER!!

True, Funny story...

I met this guy at a Pesach (Passover) seder, who only eats raw foods, including raw meat. He started keeping Kosher and said the meat was the best! He especially liked meat with the CHK (Crown Heights Beis DIN) heksher.
Lol. here's a question are there any heksher wars, like the "war" between cheese from Wisconsin (far superior, no doubt) and the cheese (if you can call it that) from California?