Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
Drazzil
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (31)
RyJ
Drazzil will become famous soon enough
Default What Joe Cigar won't tell you, and how to fight it

1. "I move factory disgarded batches" and "My stuff is shipped green"

Sadly, a lot of the big names that appear on Joe (even the good deals) are most likely bad batches of an existing name. A good example of this was the 601 red deal that I bought four of. They were greener then hell and for a year and a half unsmokable. I gave a few out to friends, and tried one myself... They love em, but having smoked other 601 Reds I can tell you, that there is still something slightly off about em. Great smokes, just not like regular 601's. Even when they aren't "disguards" they are shipped still reeking of ammonia.

2. "I pile it high and deep" or "I sell indifferent product and call it the second coming"

Joe is a master at picking up off brands and stuff that doesent quite meet the muster of distinguishing afficianados (Gurkha... I'm looking at you!) And selling it as if its "mana from heaven".

Sadly I can tell you exactly why they do this. As evidenced by the continued existance of places like Thompson and Swisher Sweet, most cigar smokers couldnt tell the difference between a ten year old Monticristo and a three month old Creamosa.

3. "Most of my deals, are just the box price, divided by two"

Yes it's true folks. Most of the ten pack "deals" seen on Joe are just the regular box price, divided in two with free shipping tacked on.

Take Joe's deal today for example: La Gloria Cubana Wavells

Quote:

It's 2-Fer Tuesday! Rather than run with the usual super-premium discount goodness, Joe's letting you double-dip on extra-enjoyable savings! Let's get right to it, shall well? Here begins the madness....

This feisty number is crafted in the legendary El Credito factory and blended by cigar-master Ernesto Perez-Carrillo. World renown for its full-flavored and full-bodied character, La Gloria Cubana employs a robust mixture of aged Dominican and Nicaraguan long-fillers inside a tasty Ecuadorian wrapper. The result is a rich, satisfying cigar of the highest caliber, with hearty undertones and a long-lasting finish. La Gloria Cubana Wavells for just $2.50 apiece? You betcha!

Folks, let's cut right to the chase here. This is an absolutely insane price for La Gloria Cubana. If you're a fan of bold and flavorful cigars, you'd be crazy to deny Joe today.
What they dont tell you is that all they are giving you is a hair off their regular price.. Bear with me for a few seconds for some very simple calculations:

Take Joe Cigars per stick price, you can obtain this by dividing the number of sticks by the end price. In the case of todays Joe, you have 20 sticks, so, divide the price by the number of sticks, and you get the final price of $2.50 a stick. Now, go to Cigars International's website and look up their non sales price. It's $63.95 for a box of twenty five, with box, minus shipping. You get yourself a final price per stick of 2.558 or $2.56 a cigar.

Now, heres the part where it gets intresting.

Divide 2.558 by 2.50. You get a cost savings of only 2.32 percent. Thats around five cents a stick, for giving up a box. Now, I didn't figure in the shipping because honestly, you can find free shipping pretty easily with a lot of the codes floating around, that shouldn't be a factor.

Eye opening no?

4. "I'm not as good as I used to be"

A lot of the smoking hot deals you used to see on Joe arent there. In other words, you'll see a lot more coal before you see any diamonds.

5. "Most of the good deals you wont even see"

This is the one that pisses me off the most.

CI runs most if not ALL of their good Jambalaya deals either in the middle of the night or around 6 in the morning West Coast time.

As a marketing major I can tell you precisely why they do this. This is the time when most people are either still Asleep (West Coast) or just commuted in from work. They dont want people actually seeing this deal and acting on it... They DO want people to hear about it the next day. In other words, positive word of mouth without the need to actually pay much to generate it

Inmate 1: "Dude did you hear about the smokin deal on Joe today?"

Inmate 2: "No I gotta check on Joe more often!"

And thus the cycle continues.

This, more then anything else makes me madder then hell.

Now, I'm not suggesting anyone boycott Joe, as greedy scheming bastard that he is, and as many times as I've been caught by the hype I can say that Joe is still good for the occasional fair shake. But there are three things you can do to keep Joe's hands out of your pockets unless it is a genuine good deal.

1. Unsure about a smoke? Search the forums and Ask about before you pull the trigger.

This has saved me a lot of money on the long run, and kept me from pulling the trigger on some truly awful turds.

2. Divide the cost of a box by two, then see if that ten pack is such a good deal.

Take todays deal for example

Use any garden variety calculator or calculator program. Often times unless this is really a smoke you wanted to try, you find your urge to pull the trigger waning as you find that you can get a box for twice the Joe price, sometimes even less.

3. Wait an hour and stew. Unless this is a genuine smokin deal, waiting an hour wont hurt anything, and will give you the time to really think your purchase through. Oftentimes you find yourself saying "Nahhhh, I dont really need this. Wait an hour and stew.

Last edited by icehog3; 12-30-2008 at 10:18 AM. Reason: OP request
Drazzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
houdini
Life is Beautiful........

Trading: (21)
Trinidad
houdini is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Joe Cigar won't tell you, and how to figh

Great post! RG coming...Thanks...H
Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
GWags

Thumbs up Re: What Joe Cigar won't tell you, and how to figh

Wow - much appreciated info !
Old 12-30-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini View Post
Old 12-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
+1.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

It's funny, I always wondered if the sticks I have purchased from Joe were up to snuff with the regular production lines or if it was just me who thought they were a bit off. I think Tobii and and few others and I discussed this at a herf once too so at least I know I was not in the boat alone. Good to see there are others who feel the same. The pricing aspect is also another reason why I do not always find myself jumping on the deal of the day simply because if you do the math your not really catching much of a break at all unless you are looking for the convenience of not buying a whole box.
Great job bringing the subject to the forefront!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
SmokinApe
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
SmokinApe has a spectacular aura aboutSmokinApe has a spectacular aura about

The DPG Blue's (Toro) that Joe has up there are not the same as ones you get from the box. I've posted this quite a bit and was told I was crazy but they ain't the same.... They were either too young, too wet or a different blend...
SmokinApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
Coz77
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mark
Trading: (1)
Coz77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Great post!
Coz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
GKitty
JAFO

First Name: Crystal
Trading: (8)
HdM
GKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really nice

Excellent information, Drazz!!!

In all my inexperience, I would have never considered some of the points you made. Thanks for the head's up, brother!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
UPHOTO

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (7)
Montecristo
UPHOTO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinApe View Post
The DPG Blue's (Toro) that Joe has up there are not the same as ones you get from the box. I've posted this quite a bit and was told I was crazy but they ain't the same.... They were either too young, too wet or a different blend...

Between the ones I got from Joe, older blues from shops and then the NEW blue's.......

It's all over the place.
UPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
robertw1249

great post thanks for the info ill have to watch it if i order any thing from them
Old 12-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #12
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Yupper- very good info! Glad I've never bitten on any of his "deals!"
Old 12-30-2008, 11:41 AM   #13
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Thanks for the pointers! I always let Joe's sit... that is if I ever actually pull the trigger!
Old 12-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #14
j-easy

good post, in my month of noobness i have yet to jump on a joe deal yet. just haven't seen anything that really appealed to me. ive bought there weekly deal once (5 vegas sampler) and ive bought the olivia 6pk sampler from cigarmonster, everything else has been cbid, it does seem like the better deals are to be had on jambalaya during weird 4am times.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #15
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: What Joe Cigar won't tell you, and how to figh

Excellent info in this post! So far, I've never been tempted by Joe into one of his deals, thank God!

Another place you have to look is when you are checking out of CI with a purchase of some sort; So far, every deal they have offered me after putting the CC # in, is overpriced in the same manner as Joe's deals.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #16
GrtndpwrflOZ
Just call me OZ

First Name: Brian
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
GrtndpwrflOZ is on a distinguished road

Who's Joe?
GrtndpwrflOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:31 PM   #17
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtndpwrflOZ View Post
Who's Joe?
www.joecigar.com
Old 12-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #18
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info I totally agree I always thought there was something fishy about those 601's when I got them and the pepins when they landed. This just confirms it.
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #19
BDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtndpwrflOZ View Post
Who's Joe?
Old 12-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #20
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough

This is interesting. The Blues I got from Joe were all great IMO. Maybe I'm a little too anti-conspiracy theory to buy into this ....