Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 10-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
TRicker

Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

I keep trying mine, but it tastes burnt. I think I am running to hot?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRicker View Post
Well... cut that out.

Slow brewing under pressure is the key. And you can't get that good, slow gooey brew if the grind isn't fine enough and the filter isn't filled FULLY and EVENLY.

Here's the deal. When water hits the ground coffee in the filterbasket it expands. The expanding coffee, soon to be a rock hard puck, creates resistance to the flow of water. The resistance creates a lot of pressure inside the lower pot, capice? It's the water, moving slowly thru the puck, that drags all the good stuff out of the grind. To get the pressure and the good stuff from the ground beans and to NOT get a burnt or bitter taste... the water needs to move thru all the coffee in the puck.
  • If there isn't enough coffee in the basket it won't be able to swell up (enough) and create real pressure; and/or
  • If the coffee isn't packed in the basket uniformly, water will cut a channel thru the path of least resistance and bypass a lot of the grind.

So you need to use a burr grinder (or buy professionally ground coffee) to get uniform grounds that won't encourage water channeling. Also, you have to fill the basket fully and uniformly to avoid channeling, insure even wetting of the grounds and to create the pressure that really gets the oils emulsified, out of the grind and into your cup.

Short version - grind evenly and pack the filterbasket full and uniformly. Brew slowly.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Mister Moo; 10-15-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
TRicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Well... cut that out.

Slow brewing under pressure is the key. And you can't get that good, slow gooey brew if the grind isn't fine enough and the filter isn't filled FULLY and EVENLY.

Here's the deal. When water hits the ground coffee in the filterbasket it expands. The expanding coffee, soon to be a rock hard puck, creates resistance to the flow of water. The resistance creates a lot of pressure inside the lower pot, capice? It's the water, moving slowly thru the puck, that drags all the good stuff out of the grind. To get the pressure and the good stuff from the ground beans and to NOT get a burnt or bitter taste... the water needs to move thru all the coffee in the puck.
  • If there isn't enough coffee in the basket it won't be able to swell up (enough) and create real pressure; and/or
  • If the coffee isn't packed in the basket uniformly, water will cut a channel thru the path of least resistance and bypass a lot of the grind.

So you need to use a burr grinder (or buy professionally ground coffee) to get uniform grounds that won't encourage water channeling. Also, you have to fill the basket fully and uniformly to avoid channeling, insure even wetting of the grounds and to create the pressure that really gets the oils emulsified, out of the grind and into your cup.

Short version - grind evenly and pack the filterbasket full and uniformly. Brew slowly.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the tip, I got a burr grinder,so I think I'm ok there, Pretty sure I just need to slow down the actual procees.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post

So you need to use a burr grinder (or buy professionally ground coffee) to get uniform grounds that won't encourage water channeling. .
Quote:

Tim, if you need some coffee, ill set you up on Friday.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
TRicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Tim, if you need some coffee, ill set you up on Friday.
Thanks for the offer but I'm good for now. Just got a couple a pounds of killer beans coffee I'm playing with.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Thanks for the offer but I'm good for now. Just got a couple a pounds of killer beans coffee I'm playing with.
If the roast and blend arent right youll never make good italian coffee... what kinda coffee are you using
Old 10-15-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

David! Tricker! Good deal.

Please keep us posted on your results.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:31 PM   #8
SteveDMatt
I can't think of anything

First Name: uhhh, Steve
Trading: (5)
SteveDMatt is on a distinguished road

I know this may be sacrilegious,but the Dr. says no caffeine. Can you recommend a decaf blend for this type of brewing? My moka pot has been on the shelf since the Dr.s recommendation.

Great thread BTW.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:34 PM   #9
macms
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trading: (56)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
macms has disabled reputation

md4958 gifted this to me and now my wife and I are enjoying wonderful "coffee"

macms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
GoodFella
out to sea

Trading: (7)
ERdM AirForce (Active)
GoodFella has disabled reputation

thanks for the insight, now i have to go try this
GoodFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:55 PM   #11
Spect
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
LGC
Spect is on a distinguished road

I've tried my best to stay away from this, but I think it's time to head down the coffee slope too. Moo would you mind a grinder/tamper clinic as well? I know from previous threads both tools are important.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:20 AM   #12
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDMatt View Post
I know this may be sacrilegious,but the Dr. says no caffeine. Can you recommend a decaf blend for this type of brewing? My moka pot has been on the shelf since the Dr.s recommendation.

Great thread BTW.
Steve, many of the italian brands now have decaf blends... some decent ones (Illy) comes to mind can be found at the supermarket or whole foods.

if you dont have any luck, pm me... I carry several different brands.

Moe
Old 07-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDMatt View Post

Great thread BTW.
Norm at UncleBeanz has some fantastic decaf.

http://www.unclebeanz.com/merchant2/...egory_Code=DEC

The Opus1 exotic is quite good and an interesting story. As I understand it, the Opus1 is actually a arabica bean genetically bred to be less than 1% caffeine.

For decaf in general, I prefer coffee treated with the Swiss Water Method that doesn't require chemical solvents to remove the caffeine.

In general there is no shortage of good decaf coffee from good roasters it just tends to cost more due to the extra processing. I do know some companies will use a lower quality of bean for their decaf to keep the price per pound the same as their caffeinated coffee.

I did a lot of research on decaf as I got my wife hooked on coffee and then got her pregnant... twice and she wanted good quality decaf during her pregnancies. Even though I don't need to drink decaf after a cup or two of regular sometimes I still want coffee and having good decaf around is a nice thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Moo View Post
three-cupper for one hophead ex-crack addict
When I was in grad school I used to have six-cupper every morning. What does that make me? It was pretty crazy I would have a travel mug with with ten oz of moka pot coffee with honey and half/half at 6:30 and still be tweaking at 10pm. After two years of that I had to cut back.

Last edited by gvarsity; 07-07-2010 at 12:49 PM.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote