Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2008, 04:41 AM   #1
Ubergopher

Default Any jeep owners?

So its coming to the end of my deployment and I have a bit of money saved up and I'm looking at trading in my 626 Mazda for something that can do a better job of keeping up with what I like to do which is camping, hiking, and possibly biking and kayaking. So I'm thinking of getting some type of jeep. Does anyone have any experience with jeeps, are they a good buy, a bad buy and does anyone have any good years they'd recommend getting if I can find one. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:44 AM   #2
tobii3

Default Re: Any jeep owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
....which is camping, hiking, and possibly biking and kayaking.
um....

That's a lot of gear that you'll be carrying...Don't get me wrong, Jeeps are the universal "mule", but I would suggest a truck for ease of carrying gear, packs, bikes and a boat...jmho, of course

Best of Luck!!
Old 12-08-2008, 06:05 AM   #3
dccraft

I've got a 98 Jeep Cherokee that I really love. It truely is a mule and has been the top rated off road vehicle for years. It is a little limited for interior space compared to other suvs but if you are going off road you won't find anything much better.

Up here in MI and the snow you need to be a little careful with the rear wheel drive but the 4wd is surefooted in the snow.

You need to keep up with the pm on these but the longevity of the drive train makes this a very dependable vehicle.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:35 AM   #4
Tombstone

1997 Jeep Wrangler here. Great jeep, minimal problems. I wish i had a truck tho.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:35 AM   #5
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

not currently, but had a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I loved but unfortunately started going to ****. Have a car now (scion tC) and although it is nice and definitely better gas mileage, I still miss the jeep from time to time, especially in winter.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:57 AM   #6
Ubergopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
um....

That's a lot of gear that you'll be carrying...Don't get me wrong, Jeeps are the universal "mule", but I would suggest a truck for ease of carrying gear, packs, bikes and a boat...jmho, of course

Best of Luck!!
That is a point I hadn't considered, even though I don't plan on doing all 3 at the same time I also never planned on a lot of stuff that has happened to me.

Thanks for the feedback. I do plan on getting a 4wd vehicle. The only thing I'm kinda worried about is driving a stick shift, but I've gotten halfway decent at it here so it shouldn't be to hard to adjust to.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
spooble
Palmetto State Herf Crew

First Name: Chad
Trading: (58)
ERdM
spooble will become famous soon enough

I have a 95 cherokee. 4.5" lift and 32" tires. I love it, and I agree with the other comments about it going anywhere.

spooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #8
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

No, but i'd just like to say "Beep Beep, I'm a Jeep"
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
Ace$nyper

XJs are great spooble!
I had a black on black XJ sport 3:55s auto even stock no problemo with a foot of snow if you knew how to drive.

The 4L GUZZLES fuel granted it's reg but still. It's a stout motor and the torque band is silly flat.

I'd love one as a winter beater.

Have you ruled out a nice light duty pick up like a Tacoma?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
SilverFox

My Wrangler doesn't carry anything but me but it goes where ever I point it.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:59 PM   #11
pcozad1
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (6)
pcozad1 is on a distinguished road

right now is a great time to buy a jeep . they are going cheap in California and colorado. Times are tough and they are selling thier toys.Here is a pic of mine. 83 Scrambler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1419.jpg (44.0 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1418.jpg (47.5 KB, 206 views)
pcozad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
pcozad1
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (6)
pcozad1 is on a distinguished road

Need more storage space
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S7300359.jpg (95.8 KB, 201 views)
pcozad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #13
barbourjay

i've got an 08 4 door wrangler, lifted and on 33's (soon to be 35s or more). i love it and wouldn't buy anything else at the moment.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:16 PM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooble View Post
I have a 95 cherokee. 4.5" lift and 32" tires. I love it, and I agree with the other comments about it going anywhere.
I can count at least a dozen buddies that have the same setup.
There's a club here that goes out and plays in the mud every weekend.
It's so popular here that another of my buddies started producing a series of videos he's selling.
Big tires and lifts are old school redneck here, but it's kind of become strangely mainstream in the last few years.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:12 AM   #15
Ubergopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace$nyper View Post
XJs are great spooble!
I had a black on black XJ sport 3:55s auto even stock no problemo with a foot of snow if you knew how to drive.

The 4L GUZZLES fuel granted it's reg but still. It's a stout motor and the torque band is silly flat.

I'd love one as a winter beater.

Have you ruled out a nice light duty pick up like a Tacoma?
I've mostly ruled it out, I don't want to get a new jeep/truck, insurance would be to much for me and I want to avoid going back in debt. If I could find a late 90s model that is still good for cheap I wouldn't be opposed to buying it if I can't find a like priced jeep.