Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #21
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Why Text Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
What? You lost me. A drill is a tool and a phone I can see as a tool, but why would you use a drill to hammer a nail? Ergo - email for text or phone for conversation. It does not bother me that people text, but I wonder why. They can leave a message by voice if nobody picks up. However, if it costs less to text, I'm all for it, but won't do it.
My point is that these tools have evolved into toys - for "adults" as well as kids. Used properly, we wouldn't have these social peeves.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #22
kdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperman View Post
Unlimted text 10 dollars, minutes are not free.
Now that I understand
Old 12-03-2008, 03:44 PM   #23
kayak_rat
Cyclonic Bastard

First Name: Zack
Trading: (0)
Trinidad
kayak_rat will become famous soon enough

I hate texting.........and anyone who texts me better have a damn good reason for doing so..........

Dustin and I were texting earlier.......hehehe
kayak_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:44 PM   #24
kdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
My point is that these tools have evolved into toys - for "adults" as well as kids. Used properly, we wouldn't have these social peeves.
Dig it,
I have no "peeve". Or at least that is what my doctor said. I own a business and I see kids and adults who will stop in the middle of a sale and text or answer a text and I wonder why they would not just call. But if it's only 10 bucks a month, I get it now. Still think it is rude in above situation, but people can be rude.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #25
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
For me it has a lot to do with work. I work in an industry where anything can happen at anytime and then I have to 100% focus on what's going on. Many times this makes phone calls impossible as I would have to hang up with someone 6 times during the conversation. So for me txt'ing is easier and faster and its something I can do at the same time I'm doing something else.

I can text someone while i'm in a meeting, but I ain't gonna talk on the phone while in that meeting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
I really dislike talking on the phone.

I hate talking on the phone as well. I guess it's from taking phone orders nonstop during my previous job as a manager at Pizza Hut.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #26
piperman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
It is probably just me but I think Technology is out of control on the phones.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #27
kayak_rat
Cyclonic Bastard

First Name: Zack
Trinidad
kayak_rat will become famous soon enough

Better add some content to this discussion.......basically for me......informal communication is easiest. If I have something serious to talk about, its face to face or over the phone. If I am BS'ing or just wastng time, it will be texting.........or using skype on my phone.
kayak_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #28
kdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post

I can text someone while i'm in a meeting, but I ain't gonna talk on the phone while in that meeting.

I hate talking on the phone as well. I guess it's from taking phone orders nonstop during my previous job as a manager at Pizza Hut.
I love Pizza Hut, is Canadian Bacon the same as Ham?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #29
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I love Pizza Hut, is Canadian Bacon the same as Ham?
Close enough.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #30
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

fxpose is on a distinguished road

After reading this thread I can now understand why people text message.
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #31
jbonnefsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drat View Post
2 words:

Boring Meetings
Motion to replace the word "Meetings" with "Classes"
Old 12-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #32
Cigary

Yes, I love these threads about how we all need to have cell phones and how we need to text while we are driving because we are all just so busy with life. Give me a break,,,how did we all survive before cell phones? How did we all survive without texting? Look back on the last 50 years and see how we all communicated before the self indulgent society came about. Yes, these cell phones make life easier but there is a price to pay and a responsible way to use these,,,,not by texting while we drive, not by talking incessantly on them like they were an appendage to our bodies, having the need to talk in grocery stores, shops, airports, you name it. I like having a cellphone because when I need it they are a great convenience,,,but damn, do I have to have it in my ear constantly ( blue tooth ) in case I miss a call? In case I have to talk with someone that I haven't talked with in the last half hour?

Just had to get this out,,,I am so sick of people's need to have to text, talk, surf, or anything else associated with a cellphone 8 hours a day.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #33
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

I don't really use my cell phone that much. When I do, I like to text because I hate talking on the phone, especially if I am in a crowded area. I will say it drives me up a wall to see all these premadana girls walking around texting out of control and making that annoying click click on the keyboard.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #34
piperman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
Yes, I love these threads about how we all need to have cell phones and how we need to text while we are driving because we are all just so busy with life. Give me a break,,,how did we all survive before cell phones? How did we all survive without texting? Look back on the last 50 years and see how we all communicated before the self indulgent society came about. Yes, these cell phones make life easier but there is a price to pay and a responsible way to use these,,,,not by texting while we drive, not by talking incessantly on them like they were an appendage to our bodies, having the need to talk in grocery stores, shops, airports, you name it. I like having a cellphone because when I need it they are a great convenience,,,but damn, do I have to have it in my ear constantly ( blue tooth ) in case I miss a call? In case I have to talk with someone that I haven't talked with in the last half hour?

Just had to get this out,,,I am so sick of people's need to have to text, talk, surf, or anything else associated with a cellphone 8 hours a day.
Technology will ruin us all, just wait and see.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #35
acruce
Just killing Time

Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

Sometimes I just don't want to talk.But I need an answer to something.So text is a good alternative.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #36
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

fxpose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Give me a break,,,how did we all survive before cell phones?
It's all about the level playing field.
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #37
kdog

Quote:

Amen Bro, Preach on it. It's not the end of the world if you take a message.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #38
Ace$nyper

I know this will sound shocking from a 23 year old, but I HATE texts, I don't have a phone with a full keyboard and even the ones I looked at the did, just sucked to type on.

I don't carry a text plan, if you have my # you are welcome to call me. If you are bored play a game on your phone lol.

It's ironic I hate texting, because i'm ALWAYS on AIM, and love it.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #39
Resipsa

Most of the reasons James, Dustin and others have mentioned.

Sometimes it would be disruptive to take or make a call, sometimes I don't feel like talking on the phone, sometimes I just have something to say or information to share, etc.

Think about it. If I'm meeting a friend at a bar and will be 10 minutes late, does that require a phone call?

A quick, "be there in 10" is faster and less intrusive.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #40
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperman View Post
It is probably just me but I think Technology is out of control on the phones.
really? c'mon...I can text..email..IM..surf the web..check stocks..follow my fav website on the road..all from my cell....oh yeah and I can make calls..send pics..video...uhm..p0000rn