Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #61
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation
Default Re: Why Text Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbrewfisher View Post
I see we have quite a few Luddites on this board...
I doubt we have any 19th century English workmen here
Old 12-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #62
kdog

Ok, I think I'm almost ready to loose my Texting Virginity, Thanks for all the good posts. Now if I can figure out if my phone has texting - LOL
Old 12-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #63
kdog

And how do I get my VCR to stop flashing 12:00 AM. I'm a tech support nightmare. Oh well, I'll have a smoke while I'm on hold
Old 12-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #64
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Ain't technology grand? Many cool ways to communicate that didn't exist even 15 years ago. More being invented almost daily.

I view more communications options as a good thing. Sometimes you want to be out of communications, but that's what the "off" (aka, "my battery died") button is for.

I appreciate that I have a wide diversity of friends and that I have a wide diversity of ways to keep in touch. I think that one of my fave text messages is "can you skype now?"

As for people who insist on making their phone call public by talking loudly in stores, well, I've taken to walking up to them and loudly talking back. I'm about 80% in getting the person to leave the store - so far, no harassment charges have been filed. Oh yeah, if you pull out your cell phone and talk loudly into it while following the original rude person, bystanders will laugh their asses off.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #65
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

Trading: (0)
fxpose is on a distinguished road

^^^ I wish portable cell phone jammers for private use were legal in the US. If they were I would get one NOW. I could definitely use one for my business, for starters.
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #66
madurolover
That's what she said

madurolover is on a distinguished road

If you send me a text message it would probably not be wise to hold your breath waiting on a reply.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:46 PM   #67
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

i wondered the same thing...especially while i'm texting my friends
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #68
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

I use it primarily when I'm some place loud, or know the person I'm trying to reach is some place loud (like a bar) and need to send them a short message ("We're at Sweeny's Saloon until 10").Then it's VERY handy.

Or during the day at work. I can send out a quick message covertly and know they can read it without having their cell to their ear, checking their voicemail.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:19 PM   #69
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
she'd have been on the receiving end of my old tactic of,,,," s'cuse me, but I need to use the restroom" and then hit the exit by the bathroom and drive the F off and let her deal with the ,,,,what happened to my date? I did that probably a half dozen times in my day,,,
You know, I only ever did that once to a date, and while awesome at the moment, I couldn't help but feel like a major douchebag later. I've never had a date walk out on me, I can only imagine how much of a blow to anyone's pride it would be. Kudos to you for being so callous.

On topic, I text all the time. I receive a number of texts from friends throughout the day, I bother people on here with texts, and texting is about the only communication I have with my sister at this point lol.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:07 AM   #70
Good_Stogies_Mon

Texting sure beats sending smoke signals
Old 12-07-2008, 01:46 AM   #71
webjunkie
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (1)
Punch
webjunkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vito View Post
I doubt we have any 19th century English workmen here
Nope, we just hate automated looms.

For the most part I hate having a cell phone. People can find me whenever they want, not when I want. Of course, I can turn the dang thing off, but then I get told off later so it doesn't really save me any trouble.

On a more positive note, I did use text messages today to ask a friend's girlfriend if he'd ever tried Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey because his birthday (12/25) is coming up. They're glued to the hip on weekends and he'd hear if I called, but I could probably get a text message under the radar.
webjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:50 AM   #72
jquirit
Angry Asian Dwarf

Trading: (3)
jquirit has disabled reputation

My work environment is very noisy, so it makes having a conversation with someone over the phone very difficult. Texting works as it's a quick form of communication, plus it leaves a nice breadcrumb trail to follow back.

Plus it helps I have unlimited texts versus limited minutes with my calling plan. However, I know most people don't have similar arrangements so I try to be responsible about the frequency of texts I do send out. You won't find me sending out 10k messages out like you see some kids. And mine have complete sentences, with grammar and correct spelling!
Old 12-07-2008, 02:41 AM   #73
ambientboy
...from the internet

First Name: Dan
RA
ambientboy is on a distinguished road

2 reasons:

1. I got hooked on txting in the restaurant business. While on a shift, we can't make phone calls, especially with high-maintenance tables. So the natural thing is to step out of the dining room, shoot a txt, and get the return when you get the chance to read it.

2. ...now that being said, I have friends in Cali and NYC with whom I never actually talk on the phone. We're great friends in person, but we simply don't like to talk on the phone. A phone call can be inconvenient, whereas a txtmsg you don't have time for, can be returned whenever you feel like it. Basically, it's gone the route of email. Initially a quick message to pass along information, and now a major means of communication. I even do business over txt now!
ambientboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:00 AM   #74
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientboy View Post
2 reasons:

1. I got hooked on txting in the restaurant business. While on a shift, we can't make phone calls, especially with high-maintenance tables. So the natural thing is to step out of the dining room, shoot a txt, and get the return when you get the chance to read it.

2. ...now that being said, I have friends in Cali and NYC with whom I never actually talk on the phone. We're great friends in person, but we simply don't like to talk on the phone. A phone call can be inconvenient, whereas a txtmsg you don't have time for, can be returned whenever you feel like it. Basically, it's gone the route of email. Initially a quick message to pass along information, and now a major means of communication. I even do business over txt now!
PM me your number so I can text you
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:01 AM   #75
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstrommark View Post
Ain't technology grand? Many cool ways to communicate that didn't exist even 15 years ago. More being invented almost daily.

I view more communications options as a good thing. Sometimes you want to be out of communications, but that's what the "off" (aka, "my battery died") button is for.

I appreciate that I have a wide diversity of friends and that I have a wide diversity of ways to keep in touch. I think that one of my fave text messages is "can you skype now?"

As for people who insist on making their phone call public by talking loudly in stores, well, I've taken to walking up to them and loudly talking back. I'm about 80% in getting the person to leave the store - so far, no harassment charges have been filed. Oh yeah, if you pull out your cell phone and talk loudly into it while following the original rude person, bystanders will laugh their asses off.

You are my hero...
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:15 AM   #76
cvm4
Still Watching My Back

cvm4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
^^^ I wish portable cell phone jammers for private use were legal in the US. If they were I would get one NOW. I could definitely use one for my business, for starters.
I had a friend that did this, he was may'be 4 years younger than me. He said everyone in class freaked out when their cellphones stopped working. Why not just buy one and say the building is blocking it? It's believable...

As for texting, it doesn't matter to me if I text or talk on the phone because I'm good either way. But, it does matter who is calling and if I want to talk to them My boss gets over 100+ phone calls a day on top of emails/texts, and I'd go insane if that was me.
cvm4 is offline   Reply With Quote