Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #41
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Your first cigar

I can't remember any specifics but it had to be in high school swisher sweet
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #42
BarneyBandMan
Owner - Club Deck

Trading: (1)
Partagas
BarneyBandMan will become famous soon enough

1st premium cigar was an NC Cohiba Robusto at Corona Cigar Company in Orlando in the company of SmokeyJoe.

slippery, slippery
Old 02-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #43
jaymz
God of Preservation

Trading: (17)
Cohiba
jaymz will become famous soon enough

I believe my first cigar was at my cousins wedding in England, but can't be 100% positive. When I was around 18/19, we used to hit the clubs in Windsor a lot. I'd grab a couple cubans to smoke at home. Also I used to buy the tins, like Punch Bolos infrequently, especially when up north fishing.
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #44
BroncoHorvath
Life is Great !

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
Punch
BroncoHorvath is on a distinguished road

My first cigar was when I was visiting my sister and her ex when my first nephew was born in 1996. It was either a CC Punch Punch or a CC Monte #4, and we smoked them on the beach (Torry Pines) watching the sunset. Then, my next trip to Cuba, I bought 2 boxes of each. My first nc's I tried were AF, Avo, LGC's and Onex Reserves. Now my humidors and cabinet have 70% of CC's and 30% of NC's.... In those days when I started smoking I smoked maybe 3 boxes a year, now I smoke 2-3 boxes a month
Old 02-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #45
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

Trading: (40)
HdM
Cigarcop has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHorvath View Post
In those days when I started smoking I smoked maybe 3 boxes a year, now I smoke 2-3 boxes a month

Yeah but now their Te-Amos
Cigarcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #46
BroncoHorvath
Life is Great !

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
Punch
BroncoHorvath is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarcop View Post
Yeah but now their Te-Amos
You're a funny guy
Old 02-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #47
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

First cigar was a Thompson's Fidalo Nero (?) that a friend had been pushing on me for years before I finally gave in. I didn't know what to expect, but much to my surprise I enjoyed it.

First CC was a Hoyo du somethingorother at the first herf I ever went to. (Thanks mmblz!)

First box I ever bought was a dress box of Parti Shorts.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #48
alfbacca
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Partagas
alfbacca is on a distinguished road

About 5 years ago, my friend and I walked into a B&M and walked out with 2 Macanudo Portofinos. We thought they looked cool because they came in a tube. At the time I definitely enjoyed mine, but years later I tried another and I couldn't smoke it after half an inch.
alfbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #49
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Cohiba ,the one with the red dot, Toro
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #50
Tuxguy
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (26)
Cohiba
Tuxguy will become famous soon enough

Mine was a Drew Estate Ambrosia (Mother Earth)on my 26th birthday given to me by my wifes cousin. I was hooked and had to try all the Drew Estate lines. Man, my tastes have changed.
Tuxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #51
ronhoffman2

in the summer of '94, at the rip ol' age of 19, while on summer vacation in Ocean City, MD, my uncle offered me one of his Thompson house brand robustos (they actually weren't bad back then). Standing on the deck, overlooking the ocean, I immediately was hooked and spent the rest of that week visiting the local cigar shops starting my first cigar collection.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #52
cigar coach
It's Football Season 365

First Name: Shad
Trading: (0)
cigar coach is on a distinguished road

'96 my dad bought me a Romeo y Juliet when I graduated college (for the first time-still don't know what I want to do when I grow up) I thought it was just ok. About 2 years ago I picked up a box of Hoyo's and havn'g looked back!
cigar coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #53
Legend

Interesting story. I was in England studying for my doctrate at Oxford. I was at a friend of mine's house which happened to be C S lewis's house formerly. He didn't own it just stayed in a portion of it. We decided to go down to the pub for a pint. Anyway while I'm sitting there enjoying a brew I see prince Charles walk in. This is back when he and Di had just recently separated. I figure what the hell. I go up and ask him how he's getting on. Anyway we shoot the breeze for a while and he breaks out a couple of Gurkha his majesties reserves. You know the 750 dollar things. I can't say no to that. Anyway. I'm hooked. True story except I was here in the states and my friend Josh have me a Gurkha grand reserve. The rest of it is crap.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #54
Hot Stuff x
FNG

First Name: Les
Trading: (4)
Cohiba Army (Retired)
Hot Stuff x is on a distinguished road

Used to sneak around as a teen and would occaisionally smoke a swisher sweets or middleton's cherry blend cigar. Didn't particularly enjoy it though. Hell, I recall I could just walk into a store at 14 years old and openly buy them (in the late 70's).

When I was in around 30, a friend of mine was sharing White Owl "it's a girl!" cigars to celebrate the birth of his daughter. I tried it to be sociable, but only got about 1/2 way through the churchill sized dog-rocket. Yecch.

Fast forward about 15 years, and I have several friends who enjoy cigars. One of my friends is 1/2 French, 1/2 Cuban, and is a retired executive chef, trained in France. Was at his home for an excellent dinner one night with a few friends, and after dinner we retired to the patio for cigars and cognac. At first I declined the cigar offer, and related to them my White Owl experience. They assured me that there is a world of difference between a White Owl and a quality handmade cigar, so I tried one and enjoyed it. It was a CFO churchill (from Cigar Factory Outlet), which my friend tells me are made by Oliva. Don't know if that part is true, but the cigar was pretty good.

I started smoking 2-3 cigars a month, just when gathered with friends, and would go to a B&M and buy 1/2 dozen or so at a time so I could share and wasn't just mooching.

After I found a few cigars I really enjoyed a lot, I started buying them regularly and smoking them more often. I still don't smoke much compared to some people (2-3 cigars a week), I have started collecting cigars and have over 500 in my collection, which is continuing to grow. I am a mild-medium smoker, as the stronger blends make me a little light headed--but I'm stocking some full-bodied smokes in my humidors to let them age, and expecting that I will enjoy the stronger sticks once I can handle the hit.

Last edited by Hot Stuff x; 02-05-2009 at 07:17 PM. Reason: corrected a typo
Hot Stuff x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #55
Finland

my first cigar was an Arturo Fuerte Reserva and it all went downhill from there
Old 02-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #56
cricket

First one that I can remember was an Olivia G with a really good buddy of mine...he really got me started on this, and I thank him for it. What a great hobby.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #57
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone for the good stories and keep them coming!!