Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 06-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough
Default Board games / table top RPGs?

Anyone in here a fan?

I've been playing 7 Wonders - a German card/board game - with a group of friends every couple of weeks. It is a lot of fun - and we find ourselves doing 10 games back-to-back at 30 minutes a game. Just don't seem to get tired of it. I am really trying to pressure one of the other guys in the group to pick up Settlers of Catan so we can start playing that, too

I am also playing in my first D&D game in probably 7 years on Friday night. So stoked to get back into it! Gonna be playing a Halfling Bard/Detective ine the game with 4 people, and then playing a (bearded) Female Dwarf Open-Handed Fighter in the 3 person game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Re: Board games / table top RPGs?

My "gaming group" is pretty much my mid 1980's college buddies. We get together once or twice a year at various places for long weekends--invariably spend some of that time with a board game or other diversion. Settlers of Catan, Talisman, Diplomacy. Haven't run through any RPG campaigns in a long, long time, however.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
My "gaming group" is pretty much my mid 1980's college buddies. We get together once or twice a year at various places for long weekends--invariably spend some of that time with a board game or other diversion. Settlers of Catan, Talisman, Diplomacy. Haven't run through any RPG campaigns in a long, long time, however.
I've never heard of Talisman or Diplomacy. I'll have to look into them.

RPGs don't lend themselves very well to infrequent play. Too easy to forget the details and lose the ability to get into it. There I've heard of that can be short.

It is a game called "pull" - and it involves a Jenga tower. There's no stats, no equipment, no character sheets. It plays just like D&D. "My character performs ____" "My character looks for ____" "My character tries to pick up chicks in a bar" etc. etc. And the Game Master will select particularly important, difficult, etc. actions to ask you to pull a Jenga block from the bottom and put it on the top. It can get tense, because it actually depends upon player skill and the maliciousness of the game master. It is a dumbed down D&D so that you don't have to spend 3 hours picking out your character, their feats, their traits, roll for their skills, buy their gear, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

If me and my gaming buddies are together more than an hour settlers of catan always comes out
Old 06-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Talisman goes in an out of print, not sure if it's still in production. We have a second edition set with expansions, I think it dates back to the late 80s. Diplomacy is still around, at one point it was published by Avalon Hill.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

I've played 2nd Ed, 3rd ed. 3.5 ed and 4th ed D&D. No actual tabletop group at the moment, but I play online.

Been really wanting to play Settlers, but haven't had the chance yet.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #7
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Carcasonne is also really good. Or Twilight Imperium if you want a longer game. I'm currently in a D&D 3.5 campaign that has been going on for about 4 years. I think we're planning to play Pathfinder in the next one.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
Carcasonne is also really good. Or Twilight Imperium if you want a longer game. I'm currently in a D&D 3.5 campaign that has been going on for about 4 years. I think we're planning to play Pathfinder in the next one.
Pathfinder seems to be a pretty robust system. I really like what I've seen so far in developing my 2 characters. Still having to read up on combat movements, though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
madwilliamflint is on a distinguished road

Yep. Played from Blue Book straight up through 2nd ed, "back in the day." Burnt out on it.

I highly recommend Diplomacy. It's delicious to waste your friends and "allies."
madwilliamflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
mariogolbee

I've been playing a lot of Fluxx games since my daughter agreed to play Zombie Fluxx with me last year. I fell in love with the style of play and we now own I think 6 version of it and several promos.

After Zombie Fluxx I was able to get her into Zombies!!! She loves it and we now own 3 expansions for it.

I found the minis to Heroquest and Battle Masters in my garage, so I found the HTF components for both games, along with extra pieces. We played Battle Masters 3 times in a row when it cam in. Fun games. I'm hoping it prepares her for war games. So I ordered Battlelore (repurposed) and 4 of the 6 repurposed expansions. It looks and sounds like a great game and if any of you are interested you'd better move fast before it sells out like it did last time.

I used to play D&D and I'd love to again. I do occasionally play Castle Ravenloft with a small group. We've spoken of Talisman too, which is currently in print.

Now I want to play Settlers of Catan. I'm a sucker for a good game. I thought of starting a thread like this. Well done Alex.

P.S. I really want to get my hands on Small World and some Heroscape sets as well. They both look like loads of fun. After checking out Boardgamegeek.com I want everything.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

I miss playing Hero Quest!
Old 06-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #12
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
I miss playing Hero Quest!
As it were to turn out I actually once had the core set along with both Kellar's Keep AND the Return of the Witchlord expansions. Like I said, I had the figures, and I noticed a crystal ball tile. When I received my copy of Heroquest from fleabay with everything BUT the figures it had the figureless Kellar's Keep expansion in it too! The same expansion that's going for $50+ on fleabay right now! What a treat! I can download the rest of the tiles for the Return of the Witchlord and I already have the extra figures.

I found this site where I can download all of the tiles ever made for Heroquest. It seems that there is such a following that there are hundreds of quality fan-made cards, tiles, and quests for this game system. I never thought it would get huge like this! http://www.yeoldeinn.com/index.php There are many other sites and forums dedicated to Heroquest.

Now I just need some people to play with...
Old 06-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #13
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
I've been playing a lot of Fluxx games since my daughter agreed to play Zombie Fluxx with me last year. I fell in love with the style of play and we now own I think 6 version of it and several promos.

After Zombie Fluxx I was able to get her into Zombies!!! She loves it and we now own 3 expansions for it.

I found the minis to Heroquest and Battle Masters in my garage, so I found the HTF components for both games, along with extra pieces. We played Battle Masters 3 times in a row when it cam in. Fun games. I'm hoping it prepares her for war games. So I ordered Battlelore (repurposed) and 4 of the 6 repurposed expansions. It looks and sounds like a great game and if any of you are interested you'd better move fast before it sells out like it did last time.

I used to play D&D and I'd love to again. I do occasionally play Castle Ravenloft with a small group. We've spoken of Talisman too, which is currently in print.

Now I want to play Settlers of Catan. I'm a sucker for a good game. I thought of starting a thread like this. Well done Alex.

P.S. I really want to get my hands on Small World and some Heroscape sets as well. They both look like loads of fun. After checking out Boardgamegeek.com I want everything.
Fluxx...fluxx....that name is so familiar. That's the card game with random images on the cards and they all match some how, right?

All that is popping into my head about it is "spider-bear" from a previous playing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
Fluxx...fluxx....that name is so familiar. That's the card game with random images on the cards and they all match some how, right?

All that is popping into my head about it is "spider-bear" from a previous playing.
Posted via Mobile Device
A very short video review on Zombie Fluxx. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujsUX...eature=related

The games can get crazy, fast.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #15
mariogolbee

And one on Monty Python Fluxx which I own but have not yet played. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOiuCF5Jb9w&NR=1
Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #16
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

I got everything put together for my game on Friday

My DM is gonna be a fun one. He let me design my own weapon so long as I used the "Heirloom Weapon" trait - it declares me proficient in any weapon as it is one that has been handed down from generation to generation. My bard now carries a Bowitar (a bow and guitar mixed together) . I'm going to draw it out tonight so I can explain it sufficiently to everyone.

I will still take a -4 penalty on it until I hit level 2 and can get the Exotic Weapon Proficienty (whatever it is officially called) feat...but it should be pretty awesome. My character is there for support buff/debuff/pick lock/whatever anyway, not all that worried about combat efficiency with this one.

What is interesting to me is that I am joining in on their campaign after they have played 2 games. I have to call the DM tonight to talk to him (essentially doing a Solo RP session) about how my character joins up with their party. As he put it "They are in a delicate situation. Your actions could have dire (and hilarious) effects." God I hope I accidentally kill someone. I haven't been this excited about a game in months
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #17
Wanger

I've played Space Cataan before. Cool game.

Some good friends of ours are into good board games. We've played with them when we have time for the last couple years (they have Space Cataan). A couple of the favorites have been Carcassone and Small World. We like Small World so much that we bought our own a bit ago. And you can get expansion pack for it, too. There is even a Small World for the iPad (which I've played, as well).
Old 06-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #18
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
I got everything put together for my game on Friday

My DM is gonna be a fun one. He let me design my own weapon so long as I used the "Heirloom Weapon" trait - it declares me proficient in any weapon as it is one that has been handed down from generation to generation. My bard now carries a Bowitar (a bow and guitar mixed together) . I'm going to draw it out tonight so I can explain it sufficiently to everyone.

I will still take a -4 penalty on it until I hit level 2 and can get the Exotic Weapon Proficienty (whatever it is officially called) feat...but it should be pretty awesome. My character is there for support buff/debuff/pick lock/whatever anyway, not all that worried about combat efficiency with this one.

What is interesting to me is that I am joining in on their campaign after they have played 2 games. I have to call the DM tonight to talk to him (essentially doing a Solo RP session) about how my character joins up with their party. As he put it "They are in a delicate situation. Your actions could have dire (and hilarious) effects." God I hope I accidentally kill someone. I haven't been this excited about a game in months
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds awesome! Hope it goes well!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #19
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

This last Friday was INTENSE...so I'm going to revive this thread and talk about it . PS - wall of text incoming.

Setting: Our characters are in a prison. This prison burned down quite a few years ago, and has been left alone since. This prison burned down as a way to stop a prison break from occuring. The fire killed all of the guards and prisoners within.

We have already ventured through the first level (encountering many skeletons, skulls, ghosts and ghouls, etc). We decided to go up first, as it is known the the majority of the truely evil criminals were harbored in the basement. [Meta-gaming - we needed to level before going to the tougher monsters]

As we are exploring the top floor; we began to hear a song. A dirge, really. Its sad and sullen melodies called out to us. We continued exploring and eventually discovered the cause of this sound - it was a slender and shadowy figure [We deemed him "Slender man"]. He was quite some distance - approximately 30 yards - in a poorly lit room. We were standing in the middle of a row of holding cells and all of the doors were locked.

[Roll for perception] My fighter could barely make out a flute and a birdcage. Clearly the flute was the base of the dirge that we had been hearing...however it was now targeted. I could see the slender man point with the bird cage. [Roll for will save] I could not resist the dirge's melody any more. It was saddening, depressing, and demoralizing. As I stood in fear everything around me faded away. With the dirge still playing, I was in a dark room. I could hear, and then see, large mosquitos flying twards me.

The other adventurers that I am with are horrified to see the cell doors open and skeletons begin to exit them. The skeletons approach the group with the catatonic dwarf still in front.

[Note: the catatonic state has left my character defenseless. All attacks against me are considered a coup de grace opportunity and all attacks are criticals. For each hit against my character from here on I am required to roll DC10 + damage to avoid instant death. Not unconciousness, death. We are early enough in the game that no one would have the money to afford a resurrection - a death would result in a re-roll. The skeletons critical dice damage is 1d4 x2. This means that in any given roll I may need to roll an 18 or higher to survive. Through various bonuses (good and bad), all of my fortitude save rolls are +2, bringing the max down to 16.]

The alchemist in the group grabs a haunt siphon and tosses it at the slender man. [Roll d20 for hit - 17. Roll d20 for damage - 11]. He squirms and cries out in pain, while maintaining his dirge to paralyze the dwarf.

Two of the skeletons approach and attack the dwarf. Each skeleton deals 7 damage, leaving the 2nd level fighter with 11 HP. [Roll d20 to prevent coup de grace from the first skeleton - 15. Roll d20 to prevent coup de grace form the second skeleton - 15. The dwarf has survived the first round of attacks.]

The other character [I can't remember her class] approaches the dwarf and grants armor class...for some reason that no one has yet to figure out. For armor class is only used in not being hit up front and all attacks against my character automatically crit and cannot miss.

The human alchemist [I think that is the name of the class. Not 100% positive] throws a fire bomb into the group of skeletons [Roll d20 to hit - 20. Roll d20 to confirm critical - 20] The fire bomb lands precisely in the middle of the skeletons and turns them all (5 of them) to ash.

The slender man begins approaching the dwarf for the final kill. He gets to the dwarf lays down his bird cage to draw his dagger. He attacks the dwarf, dealing 3 damage. [Note: a coup de grace takes a full turn. By having to move to me he could not attempt a coup de grace.] The dwarf is left with 8 HP.

The alchemist throws a fire bomb at the slender man and does 5 damage, while the other character in the group uses a healing spell on the dwarf. The dwarf is now at 9 hp [Yay for a 1 roll].

The slender man rears back with his dagger to place the final blow on the dwarf. The slender man attacks [Roll 2d6 for damage - 6. This means that my character must roll a 16 before fort save, 15 after] and deals 6 damage to the dwarf leaving him at 3 hp. [Roll d20 for coup de grace avoidance - 20.]

The human alchemist again throws a fire bomb at the slender man and hits him for 7 damage. The slender man begins convulsing while on fire and screaming out in pain. As the dirge ends, the dwarf returns from her catatonic state. The group members notice holes appearing in the dwarf [due to the mosquitos]. The dwarf takes 2 damage, leaving him with 1 hp. The party hastily makes a bee-line for the exit to go back to the base and rest.

SUMMARY: My character spent 4 full rounds in imminent death. Through rolls of 15, 15, 20 my dwarven fighter managed to live to see another day. My hands were sweaty by the end of the fight, and I felt drained. Our group had been going at a really good pace all night and this just took the wind out of our sails. We did a few other small tasks before calling it quits for the night.

...pretty sure I get nerdier by the day haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #20
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

LOL! sounds intense! its get really tense when you know all you can do is wait for a roll do go wrong and that's the end. haha keep us updated on how it ends (especially what is in the basement!)