Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (15)
Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough
Default Ohio Legal Question

Hey Folks,

Hoping someone here might be able to point me in a good direct. Long story short, I forgot about a speeding ticket I got in Ohio last month. Court date came and passed and then I get a letter in the mail stating that there is this fun warrant for my arrest after which I will have to post $1000 bond and then pay the fine... I called the court office and explained the situation, they were less than helpful. Indicated that I would have to go down there and they will put me in front of the judge etc (seems like a terrible waste of time and money). They also indicated that I could potentially send a letter to the judge and explain the situation to see what he might do.

Oh, and I am Canadian.

Any thoughts?

Oh, I fully admit that this was my fault and careless. I simply want to find the most efficient way to handle it.

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #2
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice
Default Re: Ohio Legal Question

Lawyer-up Jeff. There are a few small companies who do this kind of thing all the time. There must be something in your area. Be cheaper than going down there.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Jeff, I'd suggest paying the initial fine asap.
Odds are they'll lift the warrant. They just want their money.
In my experience, they're far less than hardcore about tickets around here. Most departments have exactly one woman who takes care of everything, and they're usually way behind.
You'll need to pay that fine anyways, so try the "first things first" approach and see what happens.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough

I considered filling out the ticket back and then sending in the payment and see what happens.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

They'll be shocked, brother.
And you owe them, anyways. Right?
Old 04-16-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

Partagas

Oh absolutely, no doubt that I owe. I have to send a US money order and I fear that it wouldn't get cashed.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I had one of those fun little things in my name, a long with a suspended license (that i wasn't aware of until I tried to get a Cali license), I called the city clerk and after 5 more phone calls basically all I had to do was pay 150 bucks in fines and I was all set, they told me I had to show up as well but when I said I was in California they just took my money and told me to piss off, everything was set, like people have said they really just want their money.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #8
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHNewfie View Post
I considered filling out the ticket back and then sending in the payment and see what happens.
This.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:13 AM   #9
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Where in Ohio did you get the ticket?
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:14 AM   #10
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Where in Ohio did you get the ticket?
Delaware (municipalcourt dot org)
Old 04-16-2015, 09:16 AM   #11
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Delaware (municipalcourt dot org)
I'm not familiar with that part. I would write a letter to the judge and see what he says.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #12
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

It's Columbus, basically.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:19 AM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Oh absolutely, no doubt that I owe. I have to send a US money order and I fear that it wouldn't get cashed.
I think you underestimate how much we like money down here.
I see what you mean, as far as being out the money if they don't cash it.
I'd expect to wait at least a couple months before they do cash it. They really do have a huge backlog.
I can't imagine them not cashing it. It'd just be plain silly if they didn't, and that's not the way they fly.
The judgement and warrant are just to get you to pay the fine. Once they have the fine in hand, you can check up on the warrant and get it removed.
I've never had to pay extra monies or stand in front of a judge because of a warrant, but I did get dragged in once. Paid the bill and they sent me home.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #14
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

Trading: (40)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I'm surprised they wouldn't take a credit card over the phone, MA did, you might want to call the court clerk and ask who you can call about making a payment, most states will take plastic over the phone.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:31 AM   #15
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I'm surprised they wouldn't take a credit card over the phone, MA did, you might want to call the court clerk and ask who you can call about making a payment, most states will take plastic over the phone.
I did, they said that they don't take payments over the phone.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #16
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

Make sure you throw in there that you are a Man of the Cloth. Might help your cause I little bit. Cause you know you are from Canada. I kid I kid.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:18 PM   #17
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Jeff, if you end up having to cross the border, let me know. I'd love to meet up for a cigar or something if you pass this way.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:44 PM   #18
T.G
Grrrrrr

Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
I did, they said that they don't take payments over the phone.
No way to pay it over the internet? You can try looking in the county courts page and see if there is a link to a page where you put in your citation number and it tells you how much you owe can enter your credit card info.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #19
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

You must pay the fine first.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #20
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

I got busted years ago in North Carolina for doing 75 in a 55. Had to follow the police officer, who had my license and registration already, to the county courthouse where I was informed that I was under arrest for reckless driving. Luckily my AAA membership covered the bail. I was given a mandatory court appearance, but had a lawyer appear on my behalf. He had the charge busted down to improper equipment....But the fines and everything remained the same, of course!