Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #4401
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
To ME generally width of the pistol effects how easy it is to conceal than any other factor.
Yep. I am fairly small. 5'7" & ~ 170lb. 33" waist. It has to be slim or it pokes me and imprints pretty heavy. My Glock 26 is too thick. I am in the market now for something thinner. I really want the Sig Mk25, but it is too thick. Single stack 9mm is probably going to be the ticket.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #4402
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Yep. I am fairly small. 5'7" & ~ 170lb. 33" waist. It has to be slim or it pokes me and imprints pretty heavy. My Glock 26 is too thick. I am in the market now for something thinner. I really want the Sig Mk25, but it is too thick. Single stack 9mm is probably going to be the ticket.
Keltec PF9 has a great reputation. I really love my Diamondback DB9, although apparently lots of people like to dis on the DB380... I don't know about the 9, I've never had problems, FWIW.

The company is very responsive. I called em up one day, said I needed to order a replacement set of sights. They asked what was wrong, I said absolutely nothing, my current sights are fine, but I wanted to experiment with a different sight picture and didn't want to butcher my original sights. He took my address and sent out a new set, free of charge. THAT's customer service. I'm fairly confident if I ever did have problem's, they would make it right. But so far, no problems at all after about 300rnds through it, mostly bulk commercial reloaded ammo purchased at a gun show 10 years ago.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #4403
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

I have a PF9. It is a my summer gun along with a Ruger LCP. I am looking for something a bit bigger, but not as thick as the Glock. Maybe a Sig 229. Maybe the new Springfield XDS in 9mm when it comes out. May even go back to looking at 1911s. Maybe the Sig 938, although it kinda overlaps with the PF9. I'm really in no hurry.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #4404
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs View Post
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs View Post
typical gunbroker markup
Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #4405
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0eybb View Post
A buddy of mine ordered a AR57 upper for his ar in 16.04" and they shipped him the 12" upper. Instead of returning it he now has an AR57 pistol.
I might have done that with a 10" barrel.... or a barrel that wasn't a rather expensive Daniel Defense one. But I don't exactly need that level of quality in what I guess would become a home defense pistol.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #4406
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
I have a PF9. It is a my summer gun along with a Ruger LCP. I am looking for something a bit bigger, but not as thick as the Glock. Maybe a Sig 229. Maybe the new Springfield XDS in 9mm when it comes out. May even go back to looking at 1911s. Maybe the Sig 938, although it kinda overlaps with the PF9. I'm really in no hurry.
I'm halfways tempted to experiment with a 1911 9mm for a 3gun pistol... not because my Glock17 is bad, but just because I LOVE shooting 1911s .... but a decent 9mm 1911 is also a decent $$$, so I think i'll probably stick with the G17 for now.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #4407
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Kahr cw9 is the ticket
Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #4408
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Kahr cw9 is the ticket
I tried it, didn't like it.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #4409
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Why not larry
Old 01-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #4410
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

It just didn't sit right with me, maybe my hands are to big for this gun. It felt like a toy to me.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #4411
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Lol yeh but I think it's a good size for normal people, maybe not ogres
Old 01-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #4412
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

I don't know which model it was, but I tried a small Kahr 9mm years ago (5 maybe?) and it didn;t feel good at all in my small sized hands.. IDK why.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #4413
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Anyone have any recommendations OTHER THAN Mechanix for an inexpensive tactical shooting glove?

I can't use the Mechanix that everyone else seems to use. The Small size fits my finger length, and I can squeeze my hands in, but it constricts blood flow a bit too much, I start getting tingly hands. The Medium is just a tad loose (but manageable), but leaves nearly 1/2" of slop at the finger tips (NOT ok at all!)... *sigh*... so I need to find something like the mechanix small, but slightly fatter.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #4414
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
damnit....

I was all excited today. Got most of the parts needed for my custom AR upper in today. Enough to start building it at least.

11" Troy alpha rail
14.5" Daniel Defense barrel
YHM 5C2 Comp/hider to pin to the barrel and make it legal.
Low profile Wilson Combat adjustable gas block.
Some random stripped upper that Midway has in stock, etc.

No sign of a BCG yet (it's coming... eventually ), and I still havn't found an in stock barrel nut to buy, but that wasn't going to stop me from playing with the parts

so I picked up the barrel, screwed on the comp, and grabbed a tape measure to check the length to the chamber.

"hmm.... that can't be right... I'm a couple inches short..."
*measure barrel*
"twelve inches???"
*check invoice*
"14.5" M4 Carbine 1:7"
*check label on shipping tube*
"5.56, 1:7, 12.5" M4 Carbine"

Son of a *****

Got it from Brownells, so I know they'll fix it... but erm... you know, there's the slight issue of "WHEN" in this century they might get more stock in!
Is it actually legal to just add a long flash hider to a short barrel? Regs I read a while back said this is a no-no, even welded on is not OK.....I was under the impression rifles had to have over 16.00" of rifled barrel to be legal for civilians (non class 3). Does someone have legit info to confirm otherwise? I would love to get a 14.5.....
Old 01-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #4415
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
Is it actually legal to just add a long flash hider to a short barrel? Regs I read a while back said this is a no-no, even welded on is not OK.....I was under the impression rifles had to have over 16.00" of rifled barrel to be legal for civilians. Does someone have legit info to confirm otherwise? I would love to get a 14.5.....
Yes, it's legal. Take it to a gunsmith and have them blind pin the muzzle device and you'll be GTG. (with a blind pin you also have the future option of destroying the muzzle device and saving the barrel if you need to in the future).

I don't remember exactly, but from my previous reading, I seem to remember that there was a brief period during which the ATF f*cked up the rules and made it so that a blind pin wasn't legal and even a partial weld all the way around was questionable, had to have a fully seamed and welded setup. Or something like that. But that has long since been "fixed" back to the way it was, and blind pins are specifically allowed now... I'll see if I can hunt up a link...
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #4416
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Anyone have any recommendations OTHER THAN Mechanix for an inexpensive tactical shooting glove?

I can't use the Mechanix that everyone else seems to use. The Small size fits my finger length, and I can squeeze my hands in, but it constricts blood flow a bit too much, I start getting tingly hands. The Medium is just a tad loose (but manageable), but leaves nearly 1/2" of slop at the finger tips (NOT ok at all!)... *sigh*... so I need to find something like the mechanix small, but slightly fatter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Look into full finger mountain bike gloves. There are many options and brands. I would try to find your local bike shop or REI and see what you can try on.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #4417
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Is it actually legal to just add a long flash hider to a short barrel? Regs I read a while back said this is a no-no, even welded on is not OK.....I was under the impression rifles had to have over 16.00" of rifled barrel to be legal for civilians (non class 3). Does someone have legit info to confirm otherwise? I would love to get a 14.5.....
here you go: second page, 2.1.3 Rifle: http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...-chapter-2.pdf

Quote:
The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to
the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of
attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver
soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod
into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the
furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and
measured.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #4418
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Good info here about the pros and cons of a 14.5 .... http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/c...carbine-barrel
Old 01-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #4419
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

What it comes down to - Once you permanently attach that muzzle device to your 14.5" barrel, you're not going to be able to change the gas block, many/most available handgards, etc. -- You're STUCK with that configuration unless you want to have a machinist grind off the muzzle device, then you have to buy a new muzzle device and pay a gunsmith to attach it again!

I'm 50/50 on whether it's worth it or not.... I'm tempted to tell brownells I'll take whichever they get in stock first, 14.5" or 16" and see where the dice fall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

Look into full finger mountain bike gloves. There are many options and brands. I would try to find your local bike shop or REI and see what you can try on.
good advice, I'll give that a try...
Old 01-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #4420
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
here you go: second page, 2.1.3 Rifle: http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...-chapter-2.pdf
Thanks Francis,great info.

I was thinking about it too....if rifles overall length is near the same with a short barrel/long flash bidet and a longer barrel and short FH then I think I would take the slight accuracy advantage of the longer barrel. IMO of coarse.
Closed Thread