Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #6581
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel View Post
I don't know much about 1911's other then the fact that I want one.. no check that.. I NEED one. But i've heard that the new springfield and kimber 1911's aren't nearly as good as they used to be and that S&W and Sig make the better 1911's now unless you go custom built or very high end 1911. Just what I've heard from forum talk at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Not sure about Springfield but the knock on Kimber is the MIM (metal injection molded) parts and the plastic main spring housing. All drop in replaceable parts if you should ever have issue with them. I haven't had any issues that weren't self imposed. I rounded out the mag release catch pin, which is a small allen wrench head. I'm replacing it with a Wilson Combat one, that uses a flat head screw rather than an allen, and it costs $3. The mainspring housing takes almost no wear and Kimber went that route to decrease weight.

That said my Kimber is 12 years old so I can't say much about the newest ones other than the two my BILs own. Both have had good luck as well.
My Kimber is just over a year old, no issues or malfunctions. Great shooter and not too bad to carry depending on what I'm wearing. Plus I think the Eclipse is a great looking weapon.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #6582
Pilon
Feelin' the Love

First Name: Travis
Trading: (49)
Bolivar
Pilon will become famous soon enough

Very nice Brian. I love my Kimber!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #6583
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUguy View Post
That's a good looking rifle. Where did you get the custom rail covers?
I bought them off Ebay. You can find all sorts of custom laser engraved items like that on there. Several good companies as well. My extended take down pins, extended magazine release, and Magpul grips were all done like that as well.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #6584
AUguy
The end is always near

First Name: William
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
AUguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnake View Post
I bought them off Ebay. You can find all sorts of custom laser engraved items like that on there. Several good companies as well. My extended take down pins, extended magazine release, and Magpul grips were all done like that as well.
So it is magpul stuff engraved by someone else? I will look into that on my next build. Be careful with magpul stuff off of eBay and amazon though. Not saying your stuff is but there is a ton of Chinese counterfeit magpul stuff out there.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #6585
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So it is magpul stuff engraved by someone else? I will look into that on my next build. Be careful with magpul stuff off of eBay and amazon though. Not saying your stuff is but there is a ton of Chinese counterfeit magpul stuff out there.
I hear ya there. Tons of cheap garbage out there. All of mine came in original packaging and the sellers all have to be close to 100% rating. I carefully read through a bunch of transactions as well and try to avoid those with stock or blurry pics. I have about 3 or 4 go to people I look at.

Basically they take the new item and laser engrave it themselves. At least the ones I buy from. You can pretty much get anything you want to customize your build. A couple have retail websites as well.

Hope this doesn't break any rules.
Some buyers I have had great experience with:
ndzperformance ndzperformance.com/
eforcity
ecop!
donaldpk (glockplates.com)
rays_surplus
taniadeick
Old 02-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #6586
AUguy
The end is always near

First Name: William
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
AUguy will become famous soon enough

Awesome. Thanks for the sources. I will write those down. Got some bills to pay before the next build starts.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:48 AM   #6587
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
My Kimber is just over a year old, no issues or malfunctions. Great shooter and not too bad to carry depending on what I'm wearing. Plus I think the Eclipse is a great looking weapon.
Sweet looking Kimber Brian!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #6588
8zeros
What's this button do?

First Name: Roger
Trading: (0)
8zeros will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks for the sources. I will write those down. Got some bills to pay before the next build starts.
This!
It's no fun when you find out the sight you want costs as much as the rest of the build did.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #6589
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsetGO View Post
got my alien gear holster in.

I just got mine in for my 4.25" railed 1911. Wearing it now. Most comfortable IWB holster I've owned. I'm normally a Comp-Tac freak, but the Alien is half the price, uses better clips, and holds the weapon tighter against my love handles than any of my others.

HIGHLY recommended.

Also…lifetime warranty, swappable kydex shells, and a free shell exchange if you start carrying a different gun! Not only that, but they've courteously and quickly answered all of my emails.

I'm sold. Ordering one for my XD9sc now.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
Old 02-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #6590
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Nice looking holster, but what are the benefits of this style IWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsetGO View Post
got my alien gear holster in.

over something like this?

The first one looks like a lot more material to fit inside the wasteband (I've already got enough in mine without adding more) and I would think the single clip would be a little easier to get on/off quicker as well. I am not trying to knock the Alien Gear style, just curious and looking for an education.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #6591
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Nice looking holster, but what are the benefits of this style IWB
over something like this?
The first one looks like a lot more material to fit inside the wasteband (I've already got enough in mine without adding more) and I would think the single clip would be a little easier to get on/off quicker as well. I am not trying to knock the Alien Gear style, just curious and looking for an education.
I have a similar holster for my Kimber, it disperses the weight a little more than a single point attachment and the sweat shield keeps the gun from rubbing against your skin. My Kimber is a heavy gun so the two clips really do make a difference compared to other holsters.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #6592
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

Steve, since the clips aren't on the body of the holster (Alien), it will be thinner and more comfortable. I've used a holster like the one you pictured, a Blade-Tech…very uncomfortable, and not nearly as stable. YMMV.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #6593
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
I have a similar holster for my Kimber, it disperses the weight a little more than a single point attachment and the sweat shield keeps the gun from rubbing against your skin. My Kimber is a heavy gun so the two clips really do make a difference compared to other holsters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockspur View Post
Steve, since the clips aren't on the body of the holster (Alien), it will be thinner and more comfortable. I've used a holster like the one you pictured, a Blade-Tech…very uncomfortable, and not nearly as stable. YMMV.
Interesting point about spreading the weight. I carry a lighter weapon than the Kimber, so that makes sense. Mine is also fairly slim already. I may try that style one day. Also, I agree completely about the sweat shield; I wouldn't' carry without one again!

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #6594
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Interesting point about spreading the weight. I carry a lighter weapon than the Kimber, so that makes sense. Mine is also fairly slim already. I may try that style one day. Also, I agree completely about the sweat shield; I wouldn't' carry without one again!

Thanks!
Even when I carry my Kel-Tec PF9, it's with the Alien style holster. That gun weighs nothing, and flat disappears when I carry it.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #6595
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruzee View Post
All kinds of good advice boys, thanks! I am almost certain I will buy a series 80 (internal firing pin safety) due to a ridiculous policy at work. So that does limit my list of options quite a bit. I will let you guys know what I end up getting. Thanks again.
All new Kimbers (identified by a II on the slide after the name) have a firing pin safety (FPS) as well. The way it's disengaged is how they differ. Colt's Series 80 disengages the FPS via the trigger. Many 1911 enthusiasts felt this ruined the perfect SAO 1911 trigger. The 1911's light, crisp, and smooth trigger is one if the best aspects about a 1911 and many felt Colt disregarded that by adopting the Series 80 FPS . Anyway, Kimber uses a Swartz FPS which is disengaged via the grip safety. This preserves the original 1911 trigger pull while still incorporating a FPS for the rare occurance you should drop your pistol on the muzzle. This is a rare case that supposedly happend when a 1911 was dropped from a long distance above the ground, potentially givng the firing pin enough inertia to strike the primer with enough force to cause the round the fire. Many custom 1911 manufacturers do not incorporate FPS and instead use lightweight firing pins and stronger firing pin springs to prevent this type of rare discharge.

Here's a pic showing both systems. The plunger stopping the firing pin is identical if I remember correctly, just what activates the plunger (deactivating the FPS) is where things are different.

S&W also uses the Swartz FPS, as do others.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #6596
Will herf for food

Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

BTW Brian, love the look of the Eclipse. Gorgeous 1911.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #6597
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

I just picked up this locking gun cabinet for $100.

The 3 guns on the right are mine and the other ones belong to a friend of mine.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #6598
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Very nice Earl.

A friend and I went to cabelas this morning for the spring sale. The pallet of .223 they had put out went like hot cakes. Wasn't that a good price either. I did find Ultramax .40 for $.27/rnd though so picked up 600rnds. The real deal was a Carhartt jacket out of the bargain cave for $34.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #6599
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

I just fell in love with my ssa-e trigger.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #6600
s0leful0ne
Its Huge.

RA
s0leful0ne has a spectacular aura abouts0leful0ne has a spectacular aura about

BOGO!

Unfortunately, the scorpion is plagued with FTFs even after cleanings it gets to about 50 rounds then starts failing. But when it fires, it is an awe inspiring firearm I must say.

What's that smell?...Swamp Ash
Closed Thread