Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-24-2009, 05:08 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default La Riqueza #4

The La Riqueza brand is created by Pete Johnson from Tatuaje and is blended in the style of the full flavored medium bodied Cuban cigar. They come in dress boxes and are a bit box pressed. The filler and binder are Nicaraguan and the wrapper is a natural dark USA broadleaf Connecticut. The wrapper has some spots, but is nice oily. Although the construction feels good, the predraw is very easy and leaves me with some peppers on the lips. The aroma is leather and a barnyard smell. The #4 is a 5 x 48 robusto.

I taste full leather and some pepper, sharp white pepper. The pepper might be a little much, if it was toned down a bit it would have been nicer. Halfway some chocolate accompanies the pepper and dry wood replaced the leather. The pepper doesn’t lose any of his strength.

The draw is way too easy. The cigar is indeed full flavored and medium bodied, Pete did a good job on blending these cigars in the style of the old Cubans, although there will always be a noticeable difference between Cubans and Non Cubans, not that that is a bad thing though, I prefer Nicaraguan tobacco anyway. The ash is firm and light colored, and the amount of smoke I got is more then enough.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, I liked it and want to give it another try, and hopefully the draw on the next La Riqueza I smoke is much better.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 6 / 10
Draw: 5 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Aroma (first part) 8 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 7 / 10
Aroma (last part) 7 / 10
Old 09-24-2009, 05:28 AM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: La Riqueza #4

Thanks for the review Ferdie! You're like a machine lately...churning out the reviews, carpeting bombing the US. What's next? LOL!!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:32 AM   #3
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I'll tell you a secret, I had these reviews lying around for a while, but I didn't get to transferring them from paper to a digital format. Now that I have time I am in the process of typing them all and post them. Still have about 7 or 8 to go
Old 09-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #4
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Great Review, Ferdie! My Favorite NC, BTW. I prefer a loose draw myself, so it's perfect!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review and pictures. The first Riqueza I smoked was really tasty and I kept going until I couldn't hold it anymore. The second one was just as good but that spiciness you mentioned was a little overpowering. I may have to try another before I make a final judgment.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Great review
McSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

I know, I know, I reviewed this 5x48 cigar not too long ago but The Longfiller Company, who imports these great cigars in The Netherlands asked me to revisit these box pressed cigars as they recently came available on the Dutch market with a price tag of € 9.00. It is made by Don Pepin at the Tabacalera Cubana factory. The Connecticut broadleaf wrapper comes from the Oliva farm while the filler and binder are from Nicaragua.

I like the simple band and the fleur de lis gives away that this cigar is part of the Pete Johnson empire. The wrapper is dark, oily, leathery and only has a few minor veins, just a few thin ones. I don't smell anything when I sniff the cigar. The construction feels good, and the triple cap always looks good. The predraw is good and I get a little pepper on the tongue.

I taste a spicy coffee flavor with some sweetness and a peppery aftertaste. After an inch these flavors have transformed into a mild and sweet dry leather flavor with a spicy aftertaste. The feeling in my mouth is dry.

Halfway I taste a lot of spicy herbs with some cedar wood. The flavors are sweet and spicy. Near the end I taste a spicy leather with herbal flavors again, the cedar has disappeared.

This cigar lasted me for 50 minutes and gave me a lot of thick smoke. The draw and burn were good and the white colored ash is firm. I would call this cigar full flavored and full bodied. I love this cigar, the only downside is the short smoke time.

Would I buy this cigar again? Damn sure I will

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
Old 07-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Great update review, Ferdie. I'm glad the draw the second time around was good.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

I found the cigar to also have a strong pepper attack to the tounge. The suprizing flovor I pulled out of the 2 I smoked was that of black berries (such as dark cherries, blackberry) profile. Not a bad thing, in fact would have been better with a little less bite on the tounge.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
I found the cigar to also have a strong pepper attack to the tounge. The suprizing flovor I pulled out of the 2 I smoked was that of black berries (such as dark cherries, blackberry) profile. Not a bad thing, in fact would have been better with a little less bite on the tounge.
I believe that's also the flavor that I couldn't quite describe, but after reading this it sounds about right. Though I'm not noticing the tongue bite at all. Great stick!
WyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Great reviews Ferd....though much to strong for me
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:01 AM   #12
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review ferdie, I read every one you post lol.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:53 AM   #13
boonedoggle
The Search is ON

First Name: Jimmy
Trading: (19)
RA AirForce (Active)
boonedoggle will become famous soon enough

I love almost every Riqueza I've had. These are some consistent heavy hitters to me.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:21 AM   #14
Patrick B
Feeling at Home

Trading: (6)
Patrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura about

I LOVE the big spicy flavors in these. Great review, as always.
Patrick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #15
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Yes these are a damn fine smoke and I can see where you guys are getting a berry flavor. In one word this cigar is elegant
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #16
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful cigar, gorgeous presentation, perfect size, and I love the box press.
I tried SO hard to get beside these smokes, I thought it'd be the one Pete cigar I'd like.
No dice.
I can see why guys enjoy them, I just don't care for the flavors.
Nice review, Ferdie!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #17
Nefari0us

Great review! I love the Riqueza's! Damn, now I'm really in the mood for one!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #18
Louistogies
Area Fumado

First Name: Louis
Trading: (26)
Louistogies is on a distinguished road

Good review. I still have half a box I think.
Louistogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #19
TheDudeAbides
I got an awesome sound...

First Name: Curtis
Trading: (27)
HUpmann
TheDudeAbides will become famous soon enough

Great review of one of my absolute favorites. Rarely does a week go by where "The Riches" works it's way into the lineup. Thanks for the write-up!
-Dude
Old 10-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #20
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

nice review, this sounds like something I would like
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote