Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough
Default Kindle Fire HD

Best Buy is running a sale on the Kindle Fire HD, $129.99 for the 16G. I'm considering getting one tomorrow and was hoping to get some feedback from my brothers here about them. So....

Anyone own one?
Pros?
Cons?

I appreciate any input you guys can give. Thanks and have a good one dudes!
Old 03-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: Kindle Fire HD

Leigh loves hers. Its small enough to travel with the bike, but big enough for even me to read.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

My dad had one that I appropriated after he died. Never thought I would really be interested in one, but I've read several books on it and have really been enjoying it.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

I have a nook hd+ and love it. I would not hesitate to jump on this and have thought of getting one of these as a second device. The only thing is you can not add memory later like on the nook devices. There is no memory card slot. Book files are very small but if you plan on adding tons of apps and music you may run out of space. If you are thinking books and magazines strictly with a few apps you should be good to go.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnake View Post
I have a nook hd+ and love it. I would not hesitate to jump on this and have thought of getting one of these as a second device. The only thing is you can not add memory later like on the nook devices. There is no memory card slot. Book files are very small but if you plan on adding tons of apps and music you may run out of space. If you are thinking books and magazines strictly with a few apps you should be good to go.
I was just reading about the lack of add on memory. I don't think it would be too big of an issue since I'd really only use it for books, netflix/amazon prime and web surfing. I've got a nice stereo and MP3 player for music so I wouldn't be putting any on the Kindle. How is the web browser on it anyway?
Old 03-27-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

I like mine as well. Web browser is ok, not great. This unit is not meant for heavy duty web surfing! I like the small size for travel and the aps are great! I'd say it's worth it to get IF you don't already have something similar(size and ability to handle aps.) and won't use it heavily for web surfing. I have a few books, but am having some trouble getting used to reading them. Practice will make perfect, I reckon.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
I like mine as well. Web browser is ok, not great. This unit is not meant for heavy duty web surfing! I like the small size for travel and the aps are great! I'd say it's worth it to get IF you don't already have something similar(size and ability to handle aps.) and won't use it heavily for web surfing. I have a few books, but am having some trouble getting used to reading them. Practice will make perfect, I reckon.
Good info, thanks for that!

It wouldn't be any major web surfing, mostly just here and a couple of news sites. I know what you mean about the reading though. I've used my wife's regular Kindle before and there's somethin about the text that takes some getting used to.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

I like mine, I feel like it could be a little faster at certain things, but over all I'm very pleased.

I've read a lot of books on it, but most often I use it to watch movies on my amazon prime. Very convenient. Additionally I've got several magazine subscriptions on it, much nicer than having a bunch of paper magazines laying around
Old 03-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
TFed
Hetman

First Name: Terry
Trading: (0)
TFed is on a distinguished road

In my family we have:

An ipad 2 and ipad with retina display

A google nexus 7

2 kindle HD

And, a Sony tablet.

Of all of them, the sony gets little use. The ipad with retina gets the most.
But the price really is ridiculous.
The google and kindle all are very close behind.

Myself, if i could buy another, the nexus would be my first choice.

The kindle will take a little getting used to as it is not quite as intuitive. But, at that price, i wouldn't hesitate to jump on it. After a couple of weeks you will be much faster navigating on the kindle than on another tablet. It does allow for some nice shortcuts. I don't think you will be disappointed at all.
After all, if you look at the start of this post, it is the only tablet that my family has bought 2 of the same exact units of. So, we are definitely pleased.

I think you will be too
Old 03-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #10
TFed
Hetman

First Name: Terry
Trading: (0)
TFed is on a distinguished road

For any who own a sony tablet.

I absolutely dont mean to dis it. Idk why it gets passed on. There is really nothing wrong with it. It just doesn't generate the fun or sort of excitement that the others do.
It is very efficient, it just doesn't have the same feeling in the base os.

A very good and dependable machine
Old 03-31-2014, 08:34 PM   #11
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

Army (Served With Honor)

Got the Kindle a couple of days ago and so far we all love it. I'm actually posting from it right now, lol. My only complaint would have to be that the stock web browser (Silk) isn't very good. But, it was easy enough to just download Chrome to replace it. Thanks for all the input and advice everyone.