Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #21
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: What to do with boxes?

Yet no one provides a cite to an FDA proposal for regulation. Interesting.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #22
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

But its Famous Smoke Shop! They never mislead or exaggerate the facts.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #23
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Yet no one provides a cite to an FDA proposal for regulation. Interesting.
Looks like it is just this rumor from 2011 being passed around again.

"Currently, the FDA is attempting to put restrictions on how tobacco products are made and sold in the United States. As it stands, premium cigars could be included in these regulations. But, as you well know, cigars are fundamentally different from cigarettes and other forms of tobacco. So in turn, they should be afforded different regulatory treatment. It’s our job to make our elected officials understand this, and also understand that the implications of these regulations could effectively end premium cigars as we know them today.

FDA regulations could potentially require, for example:
Graphic warnings on cigar boxes, advertising and point of sale materials.
Significant advertising restrictions such as black and white only ads.
Only behind the counter sales. This could prohibit walk-in humidors.
Only face-to-face sales. This could prohibit mail order sales.
Ban on flavored cigars.

As cigar enthusiasts, we need to speak as a unified coalition. Please be active, be heard, and ask your U.S. Congressmen, especially your Senators, to support HR 1639/S 1461 "Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011" . This bipartisan legislation clarifies the Tobacco Control Act to exempt premium cigars from FDA regulation and will stand up for our rights as enthusiasts. "

There is a link that points to the CRA website where the reader is informed that the alert is no longer active. http://capwiz.com/cigarrights/issues...ertid=54019671

There is, however, some news about the FDA and deeming rules for tobacco. I'm guessing that the CRA push is merely confusing the deeming issue with the chicken little efforts from 2011. http://www.csnews.com/product-catego...rilla%E2%80%99
Old 03-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #24
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
But its Famous Smoke Shop! They never mislead or exaggerate the facts.
Haha, of course not! I happened to be looking at cigar obsession at the time and just linked the video. Seriously though, why the FDA feels it needs to have a hand anywhere in the cigar industry is just beyond me. I can understand the whole "protecting the kids from the evils of tobacco" angle but come on, how many kids do you see hanging out and lighting up a $10 cigar? Premium cigars aren't marketed tpwards nor are they really affordable to the people these regulations would look to "protect". If they want to lean on cigarettes some more, fine, I quit smoking those nasty things years ago, but keep out of my B&M damn it.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #25
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Looks like it is just this rumor from 2011 being passed around again.

"Currently, the FDA is attempting to put restrictions on how tobacco products are made and sold in the United States. As it stands, premium cigars could be included in these regulations. But, as you well know, cigars are fundamentally different from cigarettes and other forms of tobacco. So in turn, they should be afforded different regulatory treatment. It’s our job to make our elected officials understand this, and also understand that the implications of these regulations could effectively end premium cigars as we know them today.

FDA regulations could potentially require, for example:
Graphic warnings on cigar boxes, advertising and point of sale materials.
Significant advertising restrictions such as black and white only ads.
Only behind the counter sales. This could prohibit walk-in humidors.
Only face-to-face sales. This could prohibit mail order sales.
Ban on flavored cigars.

As cigar enthusiasts, we need to speak as a unified coalition. Please be active, be heard, and ask your U.S. Congressmen, especially your Senators, to support HR 1639/S 1461 "Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011" . This bipartisan legislation clarifies the Tobacco Control Act to exempt premium cigars from FDA regulation and will stand up for our rights as enthusiasts. "

There is a link that points to the CRA website where the reader is informed that the alert is no longer active. http://capwiz.com/cigarrights/issues...ertid=54019671

There is, however, some news about the FDA and deeming rules for tobacco. I'm guessing that the CRA push is merely confusing the deeming issue with the chicken little efforts from 2011. http://www.csnews.com/product-catego...rilla%E2%80%99
Hmmmmmm, perhaps I'm worrying about nothing then and have been duped?

I did however write to my state rep John Carter who sent me a response saying that he is in support of HR 729, which is the resolution mentioned in the Famous video. No specifics on whether or not this or anything related to it will be coming to vote anytime soon but there is some factual stuff out there on the FDA regs.

If I am dragging up an old/dead issue then my apologies for foolishly pushing along bad info. Too much I guess, lol.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #26
TFed
Hetman

First Name: Terry
Trading: (0)
TFed is on a distinguished road

Can't give all the details. But spoke with my brother who has many contacts having worked in a number of U.S. goverment departments despite now being on a 5 year assignment working for the U.N. In Rome. Likely enjoying a CC while we speak.

And, it seems that while the video is a little over the top, it is mostly accurate.

They would like to cover the boxes with U.S. Government supplied pictures of open coffins, skeletons, diseased persons etc.

And they definitely want to ban internet sales as well as not allowing access to B&M humi's. The feeling seems to be that if you take the pleasure out of the purchase, such as the excitement of winning an online auction or the sensual pleasure of the walk in humidor, it will take away the desire to buy.

No info on the other points he makes but from what I understand, FWIW, those two issues are accurate.
Your mileage may vary but i started smoking cigars once a week with my brother. We used to stop at a B&M on Dupont Circle some 32 years ago when he was working for the Reagan administration as a Sovietologist.
I think he has some good contacts. And I trust his word.
But apparently it is nowhere near a done deal. Just talk and planning stage.

As many of you in the in the D.C. Area can attest, there are plenty of black limos and fat men in suits in Shelly's back room when session is just out for a break and guys stop for a smoke and a stiff drink before flying home.

At least there still was last time i knew.

Those guys who light up on the underground tram (Dems And Repubs alike. I have seen them smoking together) are not likely to let that crap happen.
Just my
Old 03-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #27
insurgus
Just in from the Storm

Bolivar
insurgus is on a distinguished road

Condoms, gold and bullets. What else do you put in them?
insurgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:32 AM   #28
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Here View Post
Haha, of course not! I happened to be looking at cigar obsession at the time and just linked the video.
And cigarobsession.com is an authoritative source?
Old 03-07-2014, 03:04 AM   #29
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
And cigarobsession.com is an authoritative source?
Huh?

No, and I never said it was. I just happened to have it open in another tab and saw that the FDA topic was brought up here. Cigar obsession had the Famous video on it so I just linked it since it was right there. If I broke any CA rules doing that then I apologize. I never claimed that anyone involved was an authoritative or completely accurate source.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:22 AM   #30
OnePyroTec
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Wayne
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
OnePyroTec will become famous soon enough

I donate all mine to the landfill transfer station now. I used to make clocks and also sell certain boxes on fleabay to fools who would pay the high prices for an empty box just to show their friends to make them think they had expensive cigars.
OnePyroTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:52 AM   #31
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

I recycle.
After I empty a box, I go to the B&M and buy 20-25 singles and refill them.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #32
mikesr1963
CAO FLATHEAD

First Name: Mister
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
mikesr1963 has disabled reputation

Exactly. I know my representatives in government and I write/call/email or all three at least quarterly to voice my opinion on different issues. I've been actively doing this for about 20 years. Take a stand for your way of life and your freedoms because there is a fight to take many away. It's so easy to communicate with your elected officials and they listen because we are votes. We also have the ability today to voice our thoughts to thousands of people at the touch of a button.

Quote:
Nope FDA. Check this out: http://cigarobsession.com/2014/03/03...s-and-the-fda/

If the regulations are passed without modifications you can kiss walk in humis, cigar box artwork and advertising good-bye. The FDA would be able to regulate the amount of nicotine within a cigar and new blends would have to be submitted for approval through the FDA, much like experimental drugs. Seriously scary stuff.

As for empty boxes, I use them to hold all sorts of odds and ends kind of stuff. They make for handy storage of pipe smoking accessories as well.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:26 AM   #33
mikesr1963
CAO FLATHEAD

First Name: Mister
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
mikesr1963 has disabled reputation

It's talk like this that puts people to sleep. The fat cats won't lose their smokes. They want votes and they will vote the way that keeps them in fat cat status. Either do your part or don't cry like a little b@#$% when cigars are taken way or forced to be altered so you end up smoking a paper cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFed View Post
Can't give all the details. But spoke with my brother who has many contacts having worked in a number of U.S. goverment departments despite now being on a 5 year assignment working for the U.N. In Rome. Likely enjoying a CC while we speak.

And, it seems that while the video is a little over the top, it is mostly accurate.

They would like to cover the boxes with U.S. Government supplied pictures of open coffins, skeletons, diseased persons etc.

And they definitely want to ban internet sales as well as not allowing access to B&M humi's. The feeling seems to be that if you take the pleasure out of the purchase, such as the excitement of winning an online auction or the sensual pleasure of the walk in humidor, it will take away the desire to buy.

No info on the other points he makes but from what I understand, FWIW, those two issues are accurate.
Your mileage may vary but i started smoking cigars once a week with my brother. We used to stop at a B&M on Dupont Circle some 32 years ago when he was working for the Reagan administration as a Sovietologist.
I think he has some good contacts. And I trust his word.
But apparently it is nowhere near a done deal. Just talk and planning stage.

As many of you in the in the D.C. Area can attest, there are plenty of black limos and fat men in suits in Shelly's back room when session is just out for a break and guys stop for a smoke and a stiff drink before flying home.

At least there still was last time i knew.

Those guys who light up on the underground tram (Dems And Repubs alike. I have seen them smoking together) are not likely to let that crap happen.
Just my
Old 03-07-2014, 06:28 AM   #34
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Huh?

No, and I never said it was. I just happened to have it open in another tab and saw that the FDA topic was brought up here. Cigar obsession had the Famous video on it so I just linked it since it was right there. If I broke any CA rules doing that then I apologize. I never claimed that anyone involved was an authoritative or completely accurate source.
Didn't mean to imply you did, Steve.

It was more an editorial comment about bloggers
Old 03-07-2014, 06:38 AM   #35
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Didn't mean to imply you did, Steve.

It was more an editorial comment about bloggers
Gotcha, and I completely agree with you on that! I do enjoy Mr. Glynn's reviews though. Of course, considering that I've won some swag from his site before, makes me a little bias, lol.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #36
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #37
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

I stack them up out in the garage like I'm going to do something with them and then toss them when I finally get around to cleaning the garage. The system has been working well so far.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #38
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

First Name: Seth
Trading: (13)
Partagas
CoffeeWaterBeer will become famous soon enough

You can mod them in to PC speakers or a mini guitar amp. Havent done an amp yet, thats next on my list.
CoffeeWaterBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #39
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

In the past I have donated mine to the local schools to use for craft projects -- and yes they took them and used them

Now that my kids are out of elementary school I gave my last back of 30 or so boxes to a friend who used them for craft projects.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #40
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

I think CC's are safe as the FDA can't regulate them