Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #41
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Troubling sites at my local B&M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindedByScience View Post
....except I'll bet money they were repairing their own cigars, to put back on the shelf. How many time have you heard someone taking their cigars in to get "repaired"...?? Smells bad to me.
*shrug* Whatever you want to assume...

I fix cigars for people all the time, and I've seen shops do it too. Beetle damage, cracked caps, damaged & torn capas. No big deal and not that uncommon really.

If someone has a sizable or valuable collection and suffers an outbreak of beetles or other issues that goes unnoticed for some period of time that result in cigars being damaged, what are they supposed to do with the damaged cigars? Not everyone is willing to just throw cigars away.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #42
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
I'd like to see the Venn diagram indicating the percentage of Tatuaje customers not interested in the Wolfman- I'd imagine it's pretty miniscule. If this guy thinks "nobody wants the Wolfman", why is he carrying Tatuaje in the first place?
Whether or not that is the case is not the issue, but apparently something makes him feel that way and I'm not going to sit here and pretend to know what those reasons are so as to refute them.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #43
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Troubling sights at my local B&M

Well.....I guess I'm the exception. In many years, and thousands of cigars and lots of travel, I've never beat up a cigar so badly that it needed repair. Sure, I've dropped a few over the years, but they never were damaged so badly that they needed repair. A little foot damage that goes away as soon as you set fire to them, etc....guess that's about it.

I'd heard about guys using pectin to repair cigars before; never occurred to me to ask a B&M to do it for me.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #44
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Whether or not that is the case is not the issue, but apparently something makes him feel that way and I'm not going to sit here and pretend to know what those reasons are so as to refute them.
Well, there is a gap between, "No one wants those." and "My customers haven't indicated much interest in those, but I'll note yours." and in that gap lies honesty, humility and customer service.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #45
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Well, there is a gap between, "No one wants those." and "My customers haven't indicated much interest in those, but I'll note yours." and in that gap lies honesty, humility and customer service.

I wasn't aware that you were there to witness the conversation.

Last edited by T.G; 10-21-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #46
TheStatsGuy
I'm a proud Masshole

First Name: Tim #4
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
TheStatsGuy will become famous soon enough

The guy/owner was right that he would need to carry more than what he probablly had of Tat products in order to even get considered for the "limited stuff". I just looked at the Tat catalog and it's quite an extensive list. Your talking some serious money and space to get all the Tat products in house. Granted you probably don't have to carry everything in order to get some "limited" boxes like the Wolfman. Don't know how Pete picks them out or if his reps do it for him.

The guy should have gave a smile and noted your interest for future Tat products. The customer service seems to have been lacking and apparently it spills over to the humidor.

When I find damaged cigars during inventory at my local I simply put them aside to be fixed and then tuck them away to get smoked by the owner and staff when they feel like a smoke. More cigars can be ordered to replace the damaged ones and customers should always leave with the best you have to offer, imho.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #47
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I must be missing something because I see nothing wrong with the worker's statements in the OP.

If you add up all the members of all the online cigar communities, we are still but a miniscule percentage of the buying public. The vast majority dont smoke Tatuaje products at all much less seek out their limited releases. Most cigar smokers buy a few sticks on Friday for the weekend or for a round of golf and that's it. No humidor, no beads, nothing.

As far as repairs, it sounds like he is performing a service for his customer. Beetle holes are no big deal, once you see the hole the beetle is gone. He is 100% right, most cigars you smoke have some remnants of beetles, larvae or eggs.

Here's a few tidbits from the FDA website.

Beer drinker?

"HOPS Insects
(AOAC 967.23) Average of more than 2,500 aphids per 10 grams

DEFECT SOURCE: Pre-harvest infestation
SIGNIFICANCE: Aesthetic"

10 grams of hops? I guess they disappear when its "cold-filtered"

PB&J

"PEANUT BUTTER Insect filth
(AOAC 968.35) Average of 30 or more insect fragments per 100 grams
Rodent filth
(AOAC 968.35) Average of 1 or more rodent hairs per 100 grams
Grit
(AOAC 968.35) Gritty taste and water insoluble inorganic residue is more than 25 mg per 100 grams

DEFECT SOURCE: Insect fragments - preharvest and/or post harvest and/or processing insect infestation, Rodent hair - post harvest and/or processing contamination with animal hair or excreta, Grit - harvest contamination
SIGNIFICANCE: Aesthetic
PEANUT BUTTER Insect filth
(AOAC 968.35) Average of 30 or more insect fragments per 100 grams
Rodent filth
(AOAC 968.35) Average of 1 or more rodent hairs per 100 grams
Grit
(AOAC 968.35) Gritty taste and water insoluble inorganic residue is more than 25 mg per 100 grams

DEFECT SOURCE: Insect fragments - preharvest and/or post harvest and/or processing insect infestation, Rodent hair - post harvest and/or processing contamination with animal hair or excreta, Grit - harvest contamination
SIGNIFICANCE: Aesthetic"

Mmm crunchy.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #48
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindedByScience View Post
Well.....I guess I'm the exception. In many years, and thousands of cigars and lots of travel, I've never beat up a cigar so badly that it needed repair. Sure, I've dropped a few over the years, but they never were damaged so badly that they needed repair. A little foot damage that goes away as soon as you set fire to them, etc....guess that's about it.

I'd heard about guys using pectin to repair cigars before; never occurred to me to ask a B&M to do it for me.
I see it more frequently than I like -- and I do carry pectin and have lent it to BOTLs many times...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #49
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I wasn't aware that you were there to witness the conversation.
I wasn't aware that I needed to be present in order to comment on the OP's description of the conversation. I pretty much figured that "unless the OP is misrepresenting the situation" was a caveat implicit in every response here.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #50
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
If you add up all the members of all the online cigar communities, we are still but a miniscule percentage of the buying public. The vast majority don't smoke Tatuaje products at all much less seek out their limited releases. Most cigar smokers buy a few sticks on Friday for the weekend or for a round of golf and that's it. No humidor, no beads, nothing.
Of course Tatuaje buyers are a small percentage of the cigar market-at-large, but the question here is about the interest in one of the highest profile releases within the Tatuaje market, not the larger market. This guy is a Tatuaje dealer- his Tatuaje customers are necessarily interested in Tatuaje product. For this guy to imagine he has a viable market for Tatuaje items, but not one for the current hottest Tatuaje item is just kind of odd.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #51
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
"I'd have to order hundreds of boxes of stuff I don't want in order to get one box of limited editions...it's just not worth the trouble"
This is true, I am sure. I feel for the guy and he can certainly do what he wants.
I mean, he's got guys opening tubos in his humidor, for cryin out loud.

Most of these guys' backs are already against the wall, anyway. I would certainly
vote with my feet, but that's not to say he is a terrible retailer. It's a tough racket.
Lots of sophisticated smokers buy online for the most part, anyway.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #52
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
I wasn't aware that I needed to be present in order to comment on the OP's description of the conversation. I pretty much figured that "unless the OP is misrepresenting the situation" was a caveat implicit in every response here.
I don't necessarily disagree with some of what you have said in theory, but without the transcript and specific context in which it was said along with having access to detailed knowledge of his customer base and their desires, agreeing in specifics requires too many assumptions for me.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #53
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I eat peanut butter every day. Thanks a lot, Bob.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #54
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I'd like to see the Venn diagram indicating the percentage of Tatuaje customers not interested in the Wolfman- I'd imagine it's pretty miniscule. If this guy thinks "nobody wants the Wolfman", why is he carrying Tatuaje in the first place?

As for the mold, it's a little extra distressing to discover it inside a tubo, though that may indicate a problem further up the distribution chain.
I bet a ven diagram of his customer's wishes and those wanting Wolfmans would be miniscule. 90% of cigar smokers smoke General/Altadis stuff, just want something mild that smokes well, and usually does it when golfing or for some get together. People who really obsess over cigars and chase limited releases are a vast vast minority in the world of cigar smokers. Most of the cigar shops around here carry only a tiny amount of boutique smokes, really only one has a good selection, and they all do just fine. I go to the one with the boutique smokes even though it's a bit farther away because that's what I smoke and it's an all around good shop. But most smokers just don't care.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #55
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Of course Tatuaje buyers are a small percentage of the cigar market-at-large, but the question here is about the interest in one of the highest profile releases within the Tatuaje market, not the larger market. This guy is a Tatuaje dealer- his Tatuaje customers are necessarily interested in Tatuaje product. For this guy to imagine he has a viable market for Tatuaje items, but not one for the current hottest Tatuaje item is just kind of odd.
Not at all. I know a shop that carries Tats and couldn't care less about limited releases. It's just another brand to him. In fact he was blowing them out because they don't sell very well. Again, most smokers don't want things strong and spicy, they just want a nice mild smoke while enjoying some other activity.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #56
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
For this guy to imagine he has a viable market for Tatuaje items, but not one for the current hottest Tatuaje item is just kind of odd.
won't there be another one of those next week?
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #57
RCS44
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ryne
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
RCS44 is on a distinguished road

Patching up beetle holes??? I have never heard of anyone doing that, nor would i consider doing such a thing.
RCS44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #58
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I eat peanut butter every day. Thanks a lot, Bob.
That's why I prefer crunchy!
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #59
brigey57
Smoke me if you can...

First Name: Bri
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
brigey57 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Troubling sights at my local B&M

I'm surprised since it sounds like they have a large and expensive inventory of grate stogies, which if infected, would be ruined. Was it one of the workers or clerks who just doesn't care or was it the owner; who I would hope would know if he has a beetle problem and would be trying to do something to get rid of the problem.

It seems to me IMHO that there should be someone there who really cares about what they have on the shelve and what's in stock. to hear of such a horrible story!
Old 10-23-2011, 12:45 AM   #60
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazzil View Post
Hah. I've smoked sticks with beetles (a few) in them. I remember this one time when I was new I had lit a cigar and I kept hearing this popping at the foot. About an inch downward a beetle started working its way out of the cigar, I thought to myself, "oh no you don't sucker" I pushed its ass back in and smoked it. It gave a satisfying pop when it died.

I don't remember this changing my cigar any.
I suppose that is one method of eradication. Wow.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote