Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 04-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #401
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I... I am a newbie... ...talk about beeswax made me go... ...warm...
Beeswax will darken unlike other pipe polishes, oils or waxes; this makes it undesirable for someone with a light-finished pipe if they want to stay that way. It also goes a little tacky at relatively low temperature, typically the case with beeswax-coated meerschaum pipes. Beeswax is quick to pick up dirt, oil or tobacco pieces that may be on the smokers hands/fingers. So, while there's nothing inherently wrong with applying beeswax on briar you should know your pipe may unexpectedly darken and the exterior will probably get sticky by mid-smoke.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #402
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
So, while there's nothing inherently wrong with applying beeswax on briar you should know your pipe may unexpectedly darken and the exterior will probably get sticky by mid-smoke.
As long as there is nothing INHERENTLY wrong, lol. Newbness strikes again.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #403
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the tips guys. I've realized I have a lot of open tins. I hate to see it get too dry. I'll prolly just get a few more mason jars or those Libbey ones. Not a fan of the ziploc, I just don't trust them..
Old 04-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #404
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
Trading: (38)
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

Do I have to put a screen in the bottom of the bowl? I am about to smoke my first bowl ever.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #405
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

nah
Old 05-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #406
baldanders
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jim
Trading: (4)
Partagas
baldanders is on a distinguished road

Just got a lot of 5 estate pipes off fleebag. They need a good cleaning. Whats the best way to go about cleaning them?
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:37 AM   #407
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldanders View Post
Just got a lot of 5 estate pipes off fleebag. They need a good cleaning. Whats the best way to go about cleaning them?
Thanks in advance.
Scrape old crap from the bowl with a Czech pipe tool; spit/paper towel to clean grunge off the rim; wipe bowl exterior with damp soapy cloth until clean; Everclear dipped bristle pipecleaners to rout out the stems. That's the easy stuff.

If the stem are vulcanite and have yellowed, greened or browned there are more serious measures to investigate. Start with Magic Eraser or toothpaste and baking soda for the easiest first effort at removing oxidation. There are all kinds of approaches to cleaning stems, some easier than others. Soaking in OxyClean is said to work; bleach soaking DOES work but can damage (or whiten) markings on a stem and it also furs up vulcanite, thus demanding a fine sanding or polishing after a soak.

Bowls invariably carry some kind of ghost or stink (not to mention spiders, fleas or germs). Brace bowl securely with stem removed in a tipped back position; pack with coarse kosher salt or cotton balls; fill gently to 80% full with Everclear or 91% unscented rubbing alcohol. Do not let drops of booze overflow or touch the outside of the pipe - it'll strip finish in one micro-second. Soak until dry, remove salt (or cotton) and, if nasty looking, refill and repeat. This process destinks, de-ghosts and sanitizes.

That's about it. Practice on the crappiest pipe first to refine your soak-and-scrub technique. Good results can be very rewarding.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ghlight=estate

Last edited by Mister Moo; 05-17-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #408
baldanders
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (4)
Partagas
baldanders is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info going to tackle this over the weekend.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #409
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

If you use salt, do not let it sit for more than 20 minutes. Salt soaks into the briar and may cause the pipe to crack. Use cotton balls and give it couple hours, no need to wait till evaporation.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #410
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

I have a question for the Old Farts:

There is local convenience store that specializes mainly in cigars and alcohol, but has a fair share of pipe tobacco as well. Me question is, are there decent tobaccos that are more mass produced than others? I have a feeling they are not stocking some of the premium tobaccos you guys prefer, but what is a safe brand for me to look for to try?

Thanks!!
Old 05-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #411
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa View Post
I have a question for the Old Farts:

There is local convenience store that specializes mainly in cigars and alcohol, but has a fair share of pipe tobacco as well. Me question is, are there decent tobaccos that are more mass produced than others? I have a feeling they are not stocking some of the premium tobaccos you guys prefer, but what is a safe brand for me to look for to try?

Thanks!!
You need the American Classic Combo, Ken'oa: a pouch of Carter Hall (or Velvet or Prince Albert or Half & Half) a regular sized Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe (not one of those little mini-things) a bag of fluffy (not bristle) pipecleaners and a Czech pipe multi-tool (or a 10-penny nail). Add to that a box of wood or paper matches and you are golden. $10 to play. Many have concluded it's the best smoking combination on earth at any price.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #412
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Might as well throw a pouch of Granger in there too Dan

Old 05-21-2010, 06:12 AM   #413
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
You need the American Classic Combo, Ken'oa: a pouch of Carter Hall (or Velvet or Prince Albert or Half & Half) a regular sized Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe (not one of those little mini-things) a bag of fluffy (not bristle) pipecleaners and a Czech pipe multi-tool (or a 10-penny nail). Add to that a box of wood or paper matches and you are golden. $10 to play. Many have concluded it's the best smoking combination on earth at any price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Thanks guys.

I actually have all the equipment to play, I'm just not familiar with the brands of tobacco yet. Marc hooked my up good in the pipe NST, but I figured I might as well pick up some various tobaccos to have on hand and age.

Thanks again...I'll let you know what I pick up.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #414
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Yeah. Shame on me. How about that Granger? I never actually smoked any Granger, sad to say. I stopped at Carter Hall and figured it (and a cob) couldn't possibly get any better. Gotta try some Granger.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #415
mariogolbee

I know the answer may be in here somewhere but it took a while just to read through the first few pages. Can I keep pipe tobacco in a desk top humi?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #416
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
I know the answer may be in here somewhere but it took a while just to read through the first few pages. Can I keep pipe tobacco in a desk top humi?

Thanks in advance!
First answer No. Then..
A lot of factors can play a role in this answer. I'm not sure at what humidity tobacco is ideal to store. But you can keep it in there but it will dry out. Is it in the tin? Just laying it in there?

Two options I always use are as follows. If I'm going to smoke it, within the next 4-6weeks I just keep it in the tin. If I'm going to open a tin, and not smoke it often it goes in a rubber gasket/mason jar.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #417
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
First answer No. Then..
A lot of factors can play a role in this answer. I'm not sure at what humidity tobacco is ideal to store. But you can keep it in there but it will dry out. Is it in the tin? Just laying it in there?

Two options I always use are as follows. If I'm going to smoke it, within the next 4-6weeks I just keep it in the tin. If I'm going to open a tin, and not smoke it often it goes in a rubber gasket/mason jar.
Why can't you keep tobacoo in the humi? I have! The problem is that if you have cigars in there too, they will take on the flavors of the tobacco, especially if it is an aromatic or English blend.

As for the humidity level of tobacco, everybody's tastes are different. I like my tobaccos much drier than they are when shipped.

Bulk tobacco I keep int mason jars.
If I have a few tins or pouches., I keep them in tupperware or complete seal rubbermaid.

Well, that's

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #418
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

I keep mine with Acids...lololol
Old 05-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #419
mariogolbee

Right now I have five or six snack sized sandwich bags with maybe 2-5 oz in them and one tin, compliments of Troy the "tobacco as bubble wrap" bandit. I don't know how often I'll be smoking just yet and I don't what a bunch of mason jars lying around. I do have a couple of very small desktop humi's though. There would not be any cigars in there with the bags.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #420
Demented

Quote:
Can I keep pipe tobacco in a desk top humi?
Sure, if you remove the sponge and or beads, but it will dry out in short order, 13% seems to be the humidity level for pipe tobacco, but peoples taste differ. Tobacco in plastic bags it will dry out to much, in or out of a humidor.

The non-aromatic cedar the humidor is lined with, will take on the aroma and flavor of the pipe tobacco, after which these aromas and flavors will be imparted to any cigars you put in the humidor, even after the pipe tobacco is gone.

Airtight jars are the best and safest bet.