Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 07-11-2011, 06:37 AM   #1
Ender
Ok, maybe just one.

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (1)
Partagas
Ender will become famous soon enoughEnder will become famous soon enough
Default Bacon Burst

I posted the pics in the "whats in your smoker thread". http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...21946&page=124 If you have ever heard of bacon explosion this is an exact miniature replica of it.
I begin by cutting regular bacon strips into little ribbons by cutting it length-ways and width-ways. That way you can weave them into an approximately 4x4 blanket.
Then sprinkle with your favorite rub then lay down a layer of either pork sausage (or in my case I go to the butcher and have him grind me up some pork shoulder).
Sprinkle some more rub and put down a layer of cooked bacon. Make sure you chop up the bacon relatively fine (this will help when rolling).
Throw on some on your favorite sauce for the final layer.
Roll the sausage and cooked bacon layer into a tight roll (this is another tedious part).
Finally wrap the bacon weave around the roll like a blanket. Try to tuck in the ends as not to have them flopping around.
Now it is ready to go into the smoker.
I like to cook my bacon explosions + bursts with a heavy smoke at 215-225 for approximately 2 hours. The bursts will obviously take less time the the full size explosion so I check the burst at around 1 1/2 hours. I don't like to check it too early because then you end up punching a hole that will ooze out those valuable juices.
I hope if anyone tries this out they have as much luck as I did.
Happy smoking!