Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2015, 06:57 PM   #21
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Re: What About This New "Leasing A Phone" Thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Scott: I Just Went Through This Wednesday With ATT. Apparently You Save Over $100 If You "Lease" The Phone And You Don't Have To Pay The Extra Monthly Fee That You Do If You "Bought" The Phone. Also, I Called Tech Support For My iPhone 4 That The Touchscreen Went Out. He Said I Was "Lucky" I got Three Years Out Of It; The Normal "Life Span" For An iPhone Is Around 2 Years, Now. So If You Bought Instead Of Leased, You Would End Up Paying More Money And May Have A Phone That Quits On You After 2 Years.
I've always had good luck with phones, though no I have never kept one past two years, even though they were still in perfect condition.

Are you sure you're monster paws didn't have something to do with your poor screen being molested?
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #22
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I think I got it.
I can beat the evil empire if I just go buy a 5 or 5s off craigslist and don't insist on having the great big phone what I can actually read.

That "lease" stuff is just an aside if you need a phone or want the latest.
This 6+ is perfect for me, because, like I said, I can see it.
I'm a year in and have a year left to pay it off.
AT&T aren't getting their grubby little hands on it, ever.

Weeze just had to finally bite the bullet cause hers was broke all the time.
But now we have a back-up phone, so all is well. Until I see how she paid for hers.
Since it's a simple "pay-down", it's no big. If there's no interest and I don't need to turn in a phone, I'm happy.
I didn't want to overload you all at once, so i failed to mention that you can pay it off at any time you choose, but you have to pay it in full if you go that route.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:25 PM   #23
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

That actually did help me; thanks.
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:41 AM   #24
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
I didn't want to overload you all at once, so i failed to mention that you can pay it off at any time you choose, but you have to pay it in full if you go that route.
I saw that part when I checked my "equipment charges" on my bill online, Greg.

For some reason I'd been thinking someone could "lease" for a lesser amount and turn in the phone without paying it's full cost.
That's not the case.
A person can just choose how many months they want to pay back their phone.
You mentioned 30, I did 24 on my phone.
So I confused myself thinking it was a conventional lease where a person pays 150% or more for the cost of an item, and that's not the case at all.

This has just saved the phone company from paying those subsidies for iphones, which is a great move for them.
Our bills go way up, they buy some more wheelbarrows to push the money around.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:44 PM   #25
longknocker
Postwhore

Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I've always had good luck with phones, though no I have never kept one past two years, even though they were still in perfect condition.

Are you sure you're monster paws didn't have something to do with your poor screen being molested?
I Take Care Of Them, Hardly Ever Drop One. I Only Buy New When They Quit Working.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:19 PM   #26
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Yah but you are dropping them from way way up there!

Ok I'm done haha
Old 11-01-2015, 05:21 AM   #27
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez View Post
I was looking at getting an "unlocked" 6+ phone with 64GB and it's like a $1,000! Then you still have to get the data plan,SIM card, etc. Still cheaper than what they charge you monthly for two years I guess.
NewEgg has them for $800

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-351-_-Product

I plan to buy another phone in Singapore; cheaper prices and better selection.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:46 AM   #28
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Thanks Moses. Not sure I see the benefit of buying "unlocked" unless you just don't want to stick with any provider. You still have to get the data plan and pay someone for the network as I see it. Leaning towards a 2 year contract with one company and buying the phone at a reduced cost. I was confused as to why anyone would buy unlocked at these prices.
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #29
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez View Post
Thanks Moses. Not sure I see the benefit of buying "unlocked" unless you just don't want to stick with any provider. You still have to get the data plan and pay someone for the network as I see it. Leaning towards a 2 year contract with one company and buying the phone at a reduced cost. I was confused as to why anyone would buy unlocked at these prices.
I'm not bound to any contracts is the big one for me. I'm not into owing anyone, anything. Deal complete, shake hands and move on... I can switch providers as I want and not on the hook for paying off the phone if I leave. Even if it costs me a little more. I can sell the phone if I want and have done so before.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #30
T.G
Grrrrrr

Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I'm not bound to any contracts is the big one for me. I'm not into owing anyone, anything. Deal complete, shake hands and move on... I can switch providers as I want and not on the hook for paying off the phone if I leave. Even if it costs me a little more. I can sell the phone if I want and have done so before.
How do the monthly service costs compare for a BYO unlocked vs one of their phones?
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:33 AM   #31
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Here's a kinda sorta related question. I just bought the wifey and I new 6s+ Eye Phones. These are the first Apple thingies we've ever owned. Always been non Apple types up til now. Are Eye Phones more delicate and prone to breaking than non Eye Phones? Neither of us have ever broken a phone before, not even a Princess or candlestick phone. Due to our gentle natures I've never seriously looked at extended warranties or insurance before. But after reading this thread I'm wondering if I should rethink things. Are these Eye Phones really that delicate and susceptible to problems? Should I look into some type of insurance plan?
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #32
G G
BR549

Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I saw that part when I checked my "equipment charges" on my bill online, Greg.

For some reason I'd been thinking someone could "lease" for a lesser amount and turn in the phone without paying it's full cost.
That's not the case.
A person can just choose how many months they want to pay back their phone.
You mentioned 30, I did 24 on my phone.
So I confused myself thinking it was a conventional lease where a person pays 150% or more for the cost of an item, and that's not the case at all.

This has just saved the phone company from paying those subsidies for iphones, which is a great move for them.
Our bills go way up, they buy some more wheelbarrows to push the money around.
I know people think that but it's not usually the case. The bill in fact should stay about the same. What I mean by that is this: I will pay about 28 bucks a month for an iPhone 6 Plus. I also have the mobile share value plan that gives me $25.00 discount on the data access fee. So it's pretty much a wash. I have a 10 gig a month (talked them into doubling it it) mobile share value plan that costs $100 per month. I have three phones on the plan that are not on contract because I bought two of them using NEXT. I paid mine off early but am still paying on the wife's. The third line is my dad's and his isn't under contract either. Usually a smart phone comes with a $40.00 per month access fee per phone. But with the discount I only pay $15.00 per month for the access fees on all three phones. My bill is $145 for the phones and data bucket plus the $28 for the next on my wife's phone. If all three phones were under contract (which happens if you upgrade the old way) you would not have the $25 per line discount.

But let's say I only bought one of the phones using the old upgrade method my bill would be $100 for the data, plus $15 x2 for the two phones that aren't under contract, plus $40 for the phone that is under contract. For a total of $170 per month which if you add up my above that I am paying with none of them on contract comes to $173.00 per month.

I have read that tons of people saying it's a ripoff and a scam, but there are also tons of breakdowns that show it's basically the same deal either way. The truth is you are paying retail price for the phone one way or another, you either pay it outright, by using next, or you pay it in monthly access fees for the two years that it's on contract using the old upgrade path. You still with me?

The trick to this is having certain plans though. Mobile share value is what I have.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #33
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
Here's a kinda sorta related question. I just bought the wifey and I new 6s+ Eye Phones. These are the first Apple thingies we've ever owned. Always been non Apple types up til now. Are Eye Phones more delicate and prone to breaking than non Eye Phones? Neither of us have ever broken a phone before, not even a Princess or candlestick phone. Due to our gentle natures I've never seriously looked at extended warranties or insurance before. But after reading this thread I'm wondering if I should rethink things. Are these Eye Phones really that delicate and susceptible to problems? Should I look into some type of insurance plan?
I started out on an android and found the build quality as well as materials to be much cheaper in quality and feel than the iPhones. I wouldn't believe everything you read as far as people trolling Apple. I have had 4 iPhones since I switched (upgrades) and have never been happier, even dropped a couple with no issues. I'd also recommend the tech 21 case for them (and that's a good endorsement considering a good friend does the marketing for life proof cases.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #34
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I started out on an android and found the build quality as well as materials to be much cheaper in quality and feel than the iPhones. I wouldn't believe everything you read as far as people trolling Apple. I have had 4 iPhones since I switched (upgrades) and have never been happier, even dropped a couple with no issues. I'd also recommend the tech 21 case for them (and that's a good endorsement considering a good friend does the marketing for life proof cases.
That's encouraging.

When I see people talking about them breaking and whatnot, I start wondering how robust they really are. Guess I'll find out.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #35
AdamJoshua

Here is an article about Apple's version of the "new phone every year" program. I just saw someone's new 6s and I really like the new features … it would cost me a fortune to upgrade since I'm only a few months into this one

Quote:
When Apple announced the iPhone 6s in early September, the company also introduced a new payment system called the iPhone Upgrade Program. Apple’s iPhone financing scheme is similar to what many carriers are already offering, with pricing starting at around $32 per month for the 16GB iPhone 6s. However, Apple also includes an AppleCare warranty in its offer and the iPhone comes factory unlocked, meaning the customer can choose any carrier in the world for wireless service.
http://bgr.com/2015/11/02/iphone-6s-...mobile-sprint/
Old 11-03-2015, 04:54 AM   #36
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
How do the monthly service costs compare for a BYO unlocked vs one of their phones?
If you go to the lower tier providers they can be really cheap.