Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of
Default Cable Internet

[Rant On]

ARGHHHHH! I have had ATT internet for years, not the fastest, but at least I have had a connection. Wife switched up over to Comcast earlier this month. I finally bought a modem/wireless router and have spent the last two days trying to get wifi to work. All three phones, no problem. Two laptops, no problem. Desktop...uh huh...not happening. I can be sitting at the computer desk with a laptop and the workstation side by side, I have internet on the laptop and nothing on the desktop other that connected to ***Net, no internet. On top of that, I'm getting 1.0-1.22 mbps down and 4.22 up. If I take the laptop out on the deck, I'm getting 30-35 mbps down and 12-15 up. The modem router for att is in the back of the house, and the cable is in the living room, but I can get wifi signal from ATT almost around the block, I cant believe a $150 Motorola Cable modem cant reach the back of my little 1300 sq. ft. bungalow! ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I'm heading out to go shoot something!!!

[/Rant Off]
Old 07-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cable Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
[Rant On]

ARGHHHHH! I have had ATT internet for years, not the fastest, but at least I have had a connection. Wife switched up over to Comcast earlier this month. I finally bought a modem/wireless router and have spent the last two days trying to get wifi to work. All three phones, no problem. Two laptops, no problem. Desktop...uh huh...not happening. I can be sitting at the computer desk with a laptop and the workstation side by side, I have internet on the laptop and nothing on the desktop other that connected to ***Net, no internet. On top of that, I'm getting 1.0-1.22 mbps down and 4.22 up. If I take the laptop out on the deck, I'm getting 30-35 mbps down and 12-15 up. The modem router for att is in the back of the house, and the cable is in the living room, but I can get wifi signal from ATT almost around the block, I cant believe a $150 Motorola Cable modem cant reach the back of my little 1300 sq. ft. bungalow! ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I'm heading out to go shoot something!!!

[/Rant Off]
I for some reason always use my own router vs the gateway att uverse provides. That way I have full control. I love my asus router.

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

While the shooting something I can back 100%, some desktop machines don't have the best wifi antennas, sometimes they are shielded by the actual case itself, this was the case with a wifi card I installed in a machine, turns out the metal case played havoc with the signal, everything else had excellent signal strength, in that case I ended up running a good old fashion cable from the modem to the desktop and gave up on the wireless.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:57 AM   #4
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Why are you running wireless on a desktop? My advice, run a few Cat6e lines in your rooms and skip wireless, even on laptops. But if you want to run wireless with a desktop you'll need to purchase a decent wireless adapter.

Try getting an adapter or Cat6e lines, then shoot something in celebration instead of anger

What router did you go with?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:05 AM   #5
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Something to think about Steve: maybe try splitting the incoming cable line to relocate the modem to a different room/location in the house that may be more centrally located. You may also be able set it near the desktop to allow you to plug in directly and skip the wireless.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #6
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I personally run Ethernet cable to everything that I practically can.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane View Post
I for some reason always use my own router vs the gateway att uverse provides. That way I have full control. I love my asus router.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Why are you running wireless on a desktop? My advice, run a few Cat6e lines in your rooms and skip wireless, even on laptops. But if you want to run wireless with a desktop you'll need to purchase a decent wireless adapter.

Try getting an adapter or Cat6e lines, then shoot something in celebration instead of anger

What router did you go with?
And this. If you have a desktop the best choice is wired Ethernet. If not possible, then as others have said, pick up a decent wifi card with an external antenna.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #8
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hear about your issue Steve.

For years, we've had Time Warner cable with both desktops hardwired to the wall. A few years back, I installed a Netgear WNR2000 router into the loop for WiFi and its secured at WPA2. We have a 1462 sf home and the WiFi reaches out to the back patio about 35' in distance.

WiFi speed is 54 Mbps and desktop speed is 100 Mbps currently.

Time Warner IT folks have been really great in resolving any connection type issues in the past for me. I would recommend at some point possibly contacting your AT&T IT folks and spread a little sugar on them
Old 07-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

AT&T

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

At present I don't have such problems. I "steal" my WiFi from the bar downstairs.

Hey, if I gotta deal with loud-mouth drunks at 2AM, they can deal with my piggy-backing.