Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 06-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #21
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Need Help With Some Gifted Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBQTEE1 View Post
That is what I was thinking too!! I marinate my meat all the time in wine.
Me too.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #22
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBQTEE1 View Post
That is what I was thinking too!! I marinate my meat all the time in wine.
It's not a good idea to cook with wines that have turned, it's no different than cooking with any other spoiled ingredient, it won't make a magical turnaround, it'll still have an off taste which it will impart into the rest of the dish. You'd be much better off picking up a fresh $2-3 bottle of something like Charles Shaw, Foxbrook or the one that wal-mart carries (owns?) Oak Leaf? Turning Leaf? something like that.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #23
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Me too.
I would like to see your technique sometime!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
It's not a good idea to cook with wines that have turned, it's no different than cooking with any other spoiled ingredient, it won't make a magical turnaround, it'll still have an off taste which it will impart into the rest of the dish. You'd be much better off picking up a fresh $2-3 bottle of something like Charles Shaw, Foxbrook or the one that wal-mart carries (owns?) Oak Leaf? Turning Leaf? something like that.
I do usually use 2 Buck Chuck. But we will see about these wines. I would never use bad wine.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #24
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I cook with two buck chuck all the time.

Sometimes I even add it to the food.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #25
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
My first thought was that all the white wines are all at least a decade old. Though red wines are generally considered to improve with age, the same is not necessarily true of whites. If the whites were stored in the proper environment, they could be better than they were "fresh", but if not they may have turned to vinegar.

As the nice Darrell said, there's one way to find out.
A BIG +1

The Robert Mondavi is 25 years old! A lot of whites can't handle that amount of aging. I'm curious, does the bottle say where the grapes came from? It just says "California" white, but does it say a vineyard or area/appellation? If it was stored correctly, it could be okay, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I personally like Meridian as an every day wine, that should be a decent one if you like Reds.
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #26
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaStyle View Post
A BIG +1

The Robert Mondavi is 25 years old! A lot of whites can't handle that amount of aging. I'm curious, does the bottle say where the grapes came from? It just says "California" white, but does it say a vineyard or area/appellation? If it was stored correctly, it could be okay, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Sauvignon Blanc is the grape. My guess is it'll go down the drain, but I would like to read the results soon in this thread!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:37 AM   #27
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Aw come one, we have been going on with this for three weeks already. She's not going to open them.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #28
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Poet,

Actually, whites age WAAAAAY better than reds, as a RULE. As in Champagne, Vouvray, Riesling, sweet whites (Sauterne anyone?), Quarts de Chaume and others.

That said, I'd be curious to see how any of these whites turn out. Most cheaper CA whites are not made to age and with age turn to vinegar. Have to see which glass was actually used on that Buena Vista, but the color of the wine tells me it has oxidized a while ago. 25 year old Sauvignon? Best of them don't age well and are not meant to age at all, actually.

Meridian comes from a overripe year in CA, in general, and high yield Central Valley specifically, with very low acidity and no balance to carry it through.

Beajoulais is worth a shot, although it is not Morgon and isn't meant to be aged.
Moses, you seem to contradict your hero, Parker :-) Not that I disagree with you... I had my last bottle of 1998 Napa Viognier last year, from Pride. It tasted GREAT in every respect, but Pride is considered Top 3 Viognier vineyard around, IMO, and aged in neutral wood (so no oak at all). I am not sure I'd place a bet on the bottles above, doubt good storage conditions on any of these, actually would bet against good storage since no one buys CA cheap whites to age them. Nor reds. They are made to drink short term, as is 95% of the world wine.

Its akin to buying Garcia & Vega to age them, but hey, always worth 10 minutes' time to go through them before you open a good bottle of beer.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #29
TheRiddick
Non-believer

TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Forgot to add that beer better be $14 a six pack or more...
Old 06-14-2011, 04:55 AM   #30
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Moses, you seem to contradict your hero, Parker :-) Not that I disagree with you...
He's not my wine hero, that would be Michael Broadbent

Speaking of old CA oddballs, I picked up a 1962 Inglenook Gamay in excellent color/condition... Should be interesting.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #31
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Holy carp, my birth year.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #32
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Holy carp, my birth year.
Also picked up a 1966 Charles Krug Pinot Noir. I have been searching for older CA Pinot's (before the over ripe high alcohol era). They are undervalued in my opinion and can fool many a Burgundy fan.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #33
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Also picked up a 1966 Charles Krug Pinot Noir. I have been searching for older CA Pinot's (before the over ripe high alcohol era). They are undervalued in my opinion and can fool many a Burgundy fan.
You mean lack of fruit at mid-palate and mushroomy finish? :-) I've had a couple of older CA Pinots that were incredible, but in general, they are far and few in-between, almost non-existant. Back in the day Pinot was harvested at 5+ tons per acre and clonal selection was lacking. That said, I would love to find some old BV Pinot made by Chelischev, he's the one who started the revolution in 1947.

Can you remind me who invented the use of RO in wine business and why? LLC proudly touts it these days and the rest of them are not shy about it, either.

Got to go, have a meeting in a minute...
Old 06-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #34
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

No one has mentioned, but the merlot is likely to be decent.
I don't drink wine at all, but we go through a lot around here between my wife and family. I do all the buying and pay close attention to how it all presents itself and how it tastes on my wife (we play suckface a lot). I've gotten really good at picking stuff they like and stuff that I like to taste second hand.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #35
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
You mean lack of fruit at mid-palate and mushroomy finish? :-)

That said, I would love to find some old BV Pinot made by Chelischev, he's the one who started the revolution in 1947.
Just the way I like them! Browning on the edge.

As for the BV's, I have:

1968 and 1974 B.V. Pinot Noir, Beaumont
Old 07-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #36
OLS
Suck It

It's funny this never went anywhere. How strange is that.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #37
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
It's funny this never went anywhere. How strange is that.
OK, Hootie is coming over this weekend. I will open a bottle or two. Been so busy haven't been home any weekend.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #38
ChicagoWhiteSox

Careful, if you end up drinkng a great bottle, the wine slope is VERY bad