Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 11-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
:eevis

Default Turkey Injection?

I know that most people who fry turkeys inject them with some form of "marinade" Does anybody do this for for oven roasted. I am not able to experiment this year with my own turkeybreast (normally smoke one, but money is tight, and fear of impending NY state employee layoff have put that on the back burner, pun intended)
I want to try to add a little flavor to my bird this year.

Any suggestions? I would appreciate it. Thanks all.
May your bird be brown, and your spuds be not lumpy
Old 11-24-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Turkey Injection?

There was an article in the Washington Post last week that covered this.

To really get moisture, such as basting juices, into the meat, you need a syringe, which is why some recipes call for injecting the bird with liquid or fat before cooking. That is a trick often used by commercial producers, which inject water or brine using hundreds of tiny needles. But domestic food syringes make larger holes that create an easy escape route for the liquid you just added. I instead use the syringe to inject juices after cooking. When the flesh is cooked it is much spongier, and this is a great way to add flavor and moisture to the meat.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...111801402.html
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
field
New and Improved!

First Name: Critch
Trading: (39)
Partagas
field is on a distinguished road

I have injected my birds over the years, (butter, cajun, custom oils/vinegars/Italian) but last year we did a brine, and I will never go back. We used a combination of water, sea salt, wild turkey 101 burbon (very hard to pour it in, knowing it will not be consumed in the traditional manner) and other seasoning, and the bird was as moist and tasty as any I have fried, grilled, smoked or roasted. I will get the specifics of the brine solution and post it when I find the damn thing.....
Old 11-26-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I did a show WAY back in the late 80's with one of the first ever infomercial type deals, first shopping channel ever, in fact. It was for the Cajun Injector, which was pretty regional back then, but now can be found in almost any large grocery store. Usually they have a mason jar of juice with an injector shrink-wrapped to the bottle. Syringe is pretty durable and lasts forever, but juice can be bought in bottles again or can be your own experiment. Some combination of brine, broth, spices, worchestishire sauce, hot sauce, etc. Look in the section with the BBQ sauce, worsh, etc. The needle is specially designed, with 3-4 exit holes around the needle. In fact, the point has no hole, it is semi-pointed and solid. The juice comes out the sides of the needle. http://www.cajuninjector.com/

but like I said, you can step out to a large grocery store and find em. In fact, they should be on special display now that it IS thanksgiving.

Last edited by OLS; 11-26-2008 at 12:08 PM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote