Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #121
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sleep Apnea Support/Questions Thread

I have been using my CPAP for almost a year now...everyone says you will wake up refreshed and feeling great. I feel the same, no better, no worse, then before the use of the CPAP. i use it religiously, every night. Wife sleeps a lot better, but I still don't see the great improvement everyone speaks of.
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #122
ahc4353

Sorry to hear that Michael. Before my study and getting on the machine I would wake up and be so tired it was hard to stand up.

Maybe your settings are off. Any chance for another study to check if your pressures? I know have a study done every three years to check for changes.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #123
eboniknight
Hit 'em Hard and Deep!

First Name: JC
Trading: (0)
eboniknight is on a distinguished road

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about three years ago. I never used my CPAP faithfully until the last year or so. I sleep much better and snoring is about zero (according to the wife). I use the nasel pillow and definitely with water.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #124
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I have been using my CPAP for almost a year now...everyone says you will wake up refreshed and feeling great. I feel the same, no better, no worse, then before the use of the CPAP. i use it religiously, every night. Wife sleeps a lot better, but I still don't see the great improvement everyone speaks of.

Have you had your mask,cushions, tubing,filters replaced in the last year. If not, you might be experiencing some leaks. Or you may need your pressure changed. Ecspecially if you have lost weight since you 1st got your CPAP.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #125
ahc4353

Any updates?
Old 05-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #126
billyrayvalentin
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
billyrayvalentin is on a distinguished road

I was recently diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. During my sleep study my oxygen levels dropped down into the 50's. I've apparently had it for a while. My wife diagnosed me with it a while ago, but I didn't take it seriously.

I've had blood pressure issues for a while, but I never felt any symptoms of high blood pressure. My blood work always turned out ok, and I never had any cholesterol issues or anything so the doctors just gave me medication and sent me on my way. I haven't had a regular doctor since I was a child. I always went to a walk in clinic.

A few months ago I started having these spells where I would be short of breath and feel faint. It only happened a couple of times and never lasted long so, again, I didn't take it seriously. Then, one night it hit me again and it didn't go away. The wife drove me to the emergency room and my blood pressure was at 200/105. An EKG turned out fine as well as some blood work. My blood pressure went down a bit after a while. They couldn't determine what caused the episode and told me to go see my doctor the next week.

I went to the walk in clinic a few days after. They upped the dosage on my blood pressure meds and referred me to a regular doc. After a short interview with the new Doc he was pretty sure I had sleep apnea and it was causing my blood pressure issues. He referred me to a sleep clinic.

It turns out my wife was right. I've been on my CPAP 2 1/2 weeks and my energy level is noticeably higher. I haven't had anymore of those spells. My blood pressure has maintained in check with the help of medication. Hopefully I'll be able to get off of the medication soon. All-in-all, I just plain feel better.

I was originally fitted with a full face mask as I am a mouth breather. I think it's the mirage quattro. I've been having problems with leakage during the night. It's started waking both me and my wife. I'm thinking of switching to the mirage liberty which has the nasal pillows and a mouth mask. Anyone have any experience with that one? Any Suggestions?
billyrayvalentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #127
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyrayvalentin View Post
I'm thinking of switching to the mirage liberty which has the nasal pillows and a mouth mask. Anyone have any experience with that one? Any Suggestions?
I have it and think it is great. I believe they come in small and large and I use the small even though I have a big face. It was actually what I was sent by my DME and I thought it was going to be a problem at first, but I gave it a try and it fits. I do make one slight modification though to the nasal pillows - it wrap them in dental floss to pull them a little closer together. Without that, I was getting leak problems with the pillows flaring out of my nostrals a bit and that was annoying. A little dental floss and I was all set. I think its a great mask. And I had the hybrid before it and found that decent, but not as good as the liberty for me. What works for you will depend on your face, the pressure you are set at, etc. My pressure is at a 10.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #128
ahc4353

Links or pics to the models you use would be a big help for those looking.

With a gotee I have leak issues. Interested in options for those of us with goats. :SS

I'm a mouth breather as well so not sure if pillows will work for me. What is this "mirage liberty which has the nasal pillows and a mouth mask" you speak of? Any links or pics?

Thanks for all the info!

Last edited by ahc4353; 05-26-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #129
Nabinger16
Drowning Ex Gorilla

First Name: Trent
Trading: (8)
Partagas
Nabinger16 is on a distinguished road

I'm glad to hear you are on track to a new life!!! Keep up with the CPAP and just remember.... PERSEVERANCE!!! CPAP tends to seem overwhelming at first, but once you find the right combination of masks and sleeping positions you will have a new life! I know this from experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyrayvalentin View Post
I'm thinking of switching to the mirage liberty which has the nasal pillows and a mouth mask. Anyone have any experience with that one? Any Suggestions?
I used the Liberty for one night and did not like it at all, but I personally can not tolerate any form of a full face mask. I was a mouth breather all of my life, but I've found the Micro Mirage nasal mask works best for me. The full face masks tend to put too much pressure in my mouth. When I woke up, it always felt like I was trying to blow up a tight balloon all night.

Good luck and keep trying all kinds and brands of masks until you find something that is comfortable and usable.
Nabinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #130
Nabinger16
Drowning Ex Gorilla

First Name: Trent
Trading: (8)
Partagas
Nabinger16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
>>ResMed Mirage Liberty<<
Nabinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #131
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post

With a gotee I have leak issues. Interested in options for those of us with goats. :SS

I'm a mouth breather as well so not sure if pillows will work for me. What is this "mirage liberty which has the nasal pillows and a mouth mask" you speak of? Any links or pics?

Thanks for all the info!
http://www.cpapxchange.com/cpap-mask...sk-resmed.html

Here you go!
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #132
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Thanks for the link. Never knew they made such a mask. Never done the pillows, seems like they would "hurt" but might try it to get away from the full mask.

Thanks again.

Edit: Adding a thought.

Maybe I should ask what type works best for a mouth breather with a goat? Any thoughts on this?
Old 05-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #133
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sorry to hear that Michael. Before my study and getting on the machine I would wake up and be so tired it was hard to stand up.

Maybe your settings are off. Any chance for another study to check if your pressures? I know have a study done every three years to check for changes.
Just saw the doc two months ago...told him I didn't feel any different. He checked everything and said I was fine. I didn't feel tired before the CPAP machine...wife says I feel better, I just don't know it...now that she doesn't have to hear the grizzley bear every night!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #134
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
My wife read thru this thread, and is now going to talk to her doctor.
She is going to the doctor on Thursday. I will update when I know something.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:02 AM   #135
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Thumbs up to the Mrs!!
Old 06-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #136
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

well I had my sleep study and I was diagnosed with "severe sleep apnea" I had 85 respiratory issues per hour. I must say that the sleep study sucked, it felt like I was awake every hour. I have the CPAP machine now and I will have my first night with it tonight.
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #137
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Good luck with it Erik...hope it makes you feel well rested.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #138
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eber View Post
well I had my sleep study and I was diagnosed with "severe sleep apnea" I had 85 respiratory issues per hour. I must say that the sleep study sucked, it felt like I was awake every hour. I have the CPAP machine now and I will have my first night with it tonight.
Good luck man. It might well take you some time to get used to using it. You will also see the biggest results within the first 2-3 weeks. It's amazing how much more rested I am than before I was being treated.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:18 AM   #139
ahc4353

Updated List:

eber - Erik Tested - Sever Apnea - Has his machine!!!
beeradvocate - Travis - (Father-In-Law)
dentonparrots - Carl
kaisersozei - Gerard TEST DONE! AWAITING RESULTS!
tripp - Tripp
ggainey - Greg
emjaysmash - M.J.
awsmith4 - Albert
jkim05 - Jeremy - (Dad - awaiting results)
junior - (wife) - Read thread and is going to schedule test! Great news!
nozero - Michael[/quote]
Old 06-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #140
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Came across an interesting feature in today's Washington Post, thought I'd share:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...id=smartliving

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote