Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #2721
Barcode
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tom
Trading: (16)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
Barcode will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkDrew View Post
Just got a new toy.... literally a toy.... .22 MAG
Hold on tight to that little thing, it will try to jump out of your hand.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #2722
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

I am looking at getting my first semi-automatic (I have only played with revolvers) and I have been looking at 1911s. I have found one that seems to be customizable, SS and pretty close to my price range. Does anyone know anything about the Umarex Regent R200s 1911?

I have seen a couple of reviews and everything seems to be positive. I have yet to find anything negative but it is a pretty recent release which may be why. Any info or feedback would be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #2723
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by issues View Post
I am looking at getting my first semi-automatic (I have only played with revolvers) and I have been looking at 1911s. I have found one that seems to be customizable, SS and pretty close to my price range. Does anyone know anything about the Umarex Regent R200s 1911?

I have seen a couple of reviews and everything seems to be positive. I have yet to find anything negative but it is a pretty recent release which may be why. Any info or feedback would be appreciated.
What is your price range?
Old 04-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #2724
issues
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
What is your price range?
Under 600.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #2725
TJarv
In it to win it

Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

Remington has a newer 1911 out that can be had for under $600 at a gun show around here. I would put alot more faith in Remington than a brand ive never heard of.

Also look up Rock island Armory, damn good pistol for the money. Basic pistol can be found for $425 NIB.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #2726
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Quote:
Not literally a toy, that thing can still ruin your day
Old 04-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #2727
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
Not literally a toy, that thing can still ruin your day
What he said!

I didn't want to come off as a jerk, but I have a hard time refering to a gun as a toy (I understand what you ment, just one of my pet peeves, sorry).

Nice pistol though. I had one a few years back.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #2728
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by issues View Post
Under 600.
Look at the Rock Islands. Philippines made, decent quality, customizable, a few quirks here and there, but a good platform to start with, at good pricing. They do an odd sight cut, but there are good sights available for them.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:08 AM   #2729
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post
What made you choose that over another gun?
Just lots of research and what felt comfortable to me.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #2730
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dennis
Digs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That its a cool little toy, not sure you will intimidate a would be Zombie!
But hay its about the element of surprise in cc.

A gun in your hand is better then a cop on the phone
Old 04-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #2731
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJarv View Post
Remington has a newer 1911 out that can be had for under $600 at a gun show around here. I would put alot more faith in Remington than a brand ive never heard of.

Also look up Rock island Armory, damn good pistol for the money. Basic pistol can be found for $425 NIB.
Regent 1911 can be had for aprox $329 it is well made pistol, made in Turkey by the same factory building Benelli's. My only gripe with the Remington R1 is it was supposed to be a faithful reproduction of the original 1911 just like the Springfield,they get it 98% correct and they screw up the slide marking etc !!! We have been making 1911 for over a 100 years and with modern forgings and CNC equipment a low price tag doesn't make it any less reliable then my Colts! With proper break-in some rounds down range I would trust any of the sub $500 1911's.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #2732
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Look at the Rock Islands. Philippines made, decent quality, customizable, a few quirks here and there, but a good platform to start with, at good pricing. They do an odd sight cut, but there are good sights available for them.
The Citadell 1911 is also Rock Island. All with life time warranty.

Here is most dealer purchase them from
http://centerfiresystems.com/1911.aspx

Old 04-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #2733
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
What he said!

I didn't want to come off as a jerk, but I have a hard time refering to a gun as a toy (I understand what you ment, just one of my pet peeves, sorry).

Nice pistol though. I had one a few years back.
Understood, I meant toy as in toy sized. No gun is a toy and should never be treated as such.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #2734
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Well, in 9 hours and 50 minutes, I get to pick up my new Ruger SR9c! I can't even tell you how freakin' excited I am. However, my daughter (who is married with children) is VERY concerned about having a gun in our house (although her husband has a 9mm as well...odd.) So, I've collected watches over the years, mainly Invicta and have several Invicta watch cases that I thought I could convert to ammo and gun safes. They are made of a high impact polycarbonate with foam linings slotted to protect either 3 or eight watches. The 3 slot cases I think will work wonderfully for housing the guns and ammo at home and also for transportation to the range.

Here's the outside of the Invicta watch case:

Here's the inside with watches:

Removing the foam I can get two rows across and three rows up/down and stack them three high for a total of 900 round capacity. Or, I could install new foam and slot them out to fit 10 boxes of 50 standing up on edge with each box having it's own slot, this seems like a much more reasonable option as the bullets would never tumble around:

I would then of course use a second box, add new foam and make an exact cutout for the Ruger, extra clips and other accessories. That way I have both gun and ammo stored in separate "safes" and both are capable of putting two locks on each, L & R on front.

Hopefully this will put her mind at ease.

Wade
Old 04-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #2735
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post
Well, in 9 hours and 50 minutes, I get to pick up my new Ruger SR9c! I can't even tell you how freakin' excited I am. However, my daughter (who is married with children) is VERY concerned about having a gun in our house (although her husband has a 9mm as well...odd.) So, I've collected watches over the years, mainly Invicta and have several Invicta watch cases that I thought I could convert to ammo and gun safes. They are made of a high impact polycarbonate with foam linings slotted to protect either 3 or eight watches. The 3 slot cases I think will work wonderfully for housing the guns and ammo at home and also for transportation to the range.

Removing the foam I can get two rows across and three rows up/down and stack them three high for a total of 900 round capacity. Or, I could install new foam and slot them out to fit 10 boxes of 50 standing up on edge with each box having it's own slot, this seems like a much more reasonable option as the bullets would never tumble around:

I would then of course use a second box, add new foam and make an exact cutout for the Ruger, extra clips and other accessories. That way I have both gun and ammo stored in separate "safes" and both are capable of putting two locks on each, L & R on front.

Hopefully this will put her mind at ease.

Wade
WoW................I hope no one ever breaks into your house, it would take you a while to get armed. Kids should be safe though.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #2736
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

SCdlH

That will be my configuration only when the grand kids are over.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #2737
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post
That will be my configuration only when the grand kids are over.
Ah, Gotcha!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #2738
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

SCdlH

First 250 rounds with the Ruger SR9c

WOW! I truly have nothing for comparison so I'm going to be a little biased.

GUN HOME
I got my cleaning supplies out, a soft pad and started to disassemble the gun, I had it taken down in just under a minute, VERY simple procedure. I then proceeded to clean the entire gun, maybe a little more thoroughly than I needed to but it seems from what I've read, there's a lot of stuff on this gun from the factory, so I made sure to do a good job. I used a combination of Gunzilla and Hoppe's #9 for cleaning, Gunzilla for lubrication along with Mobile 1 15-w50 applied with a toothpick to the slide rails.

I put a couple snap caps in the mag and went to the living room for a little practice getting used to the feel of the safety, trigger and operations of the gun in regard to the slide, slide lock and mag release. After about a half hour of that, I decided to head to my cousins house for a little shooting.

"RANGE" (Cousins house)
My cousin Gabriel has a nice home out in the country with his own shooting range. He was not home yet, planned on being there in about an hour so I just got started. I forgot to buy some targets, so I brought paper plates along, noting drawn on them, just white. I tapped them to the burn barrel, paced off 21' and laid a log down for my shooting line. I loaded the 10 round clip in the gun, put on my glasses and ear electronic ear muffs (from the woodshop), walked to the log and turned the safety off. Bang, first shot in the flat surface of the plate, not touching the ribbed outer edge, so within an 8" circle, the remaining 9 rounds all landed in the same area, mostly lower to mid height all centered or left of center.

The second 17 round clip, 13 in the center area and 4 in the ribbed area. I shot 8 clips before I missed the plate, not to bad I was thinking for someone who's only fired a semi-automatic pistol once and not in a couple years. I hit 10/10 right handed only, I hit 10/10 left handed only.

Then Gabe comes home, he's a County Sheriff where I live and he set up another target at 21 feet and then one at 75 feet. His dept practices and qualifies their officers at 75'. I hit 6/10 on my first try at 75', two in the bull which at that range was a 6" circle and the other 4 just on the paper. After that, we did a kneeling shot at the target on the burn barrel, 5 shots, run 20" to my truck, kneel down along the side and take 5 shots at the second 21" target, then ran up range and fired 5 shots at the 75 yard target. Gotta admit, that was kinda fun.

Over all I shot 250 rounds through the gun with not one misfire or jam, the gun worked flawlessly and felt very comfortable. I also shot Gabes Glock .40 and his S&W 1911 .45, both of which I shot very well and were awesome guns. Not so much a fan of the Glock with no safety, but that's just me and my Dad for decades telling me, "don't you ever take that safety off until you're ready to pull the trigger." I felt like crap when I got home, so I had some supper, hit the shower and went to bed. I'll clean the gun when I get home tonight and look for any shavings from the slide and frame getting used to each other.

All things being considered, I'm VERY happy with my purchase. I also love my Upula mag loader, whoa, that things makes loading just to freakin' easy. I will get a couple more clips in the future, but for now, I'm just on cloud 9mm with my new gun!

Wade
Old 04-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #2739
BC-Axeman

Nice review.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #2740
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

SCdlH

A little Ruger SR9c lovin':