Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #1261
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation
Default Re: What beers are you enjoying?

Tonight I had a few of Duck Rabbit Brewery's seasonal brew the Baltic Porter. They were fantastic and if you are a fan of Stouts and Porters I would give this beer a try.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:44 AM   #1262
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Ok, I finally decided to make this offer:

I'm interested in making a sticks-for-sticks cigar trade with a SoCal inmate. I plan to add a 4 pack of Dogfish Head brews (Punkin Ale, 60 Minute IPA, 90 Minute IPA and a Burton Baton) as tag-alongs. It would be really really really great if this SoCal inmate would add a few Russian River Brewery beers--most interested in Pliny the Elder (maybe even Pliny the Younger & Blind Pig)--as "tag-alongs" in their end of the trade.

If you're interested, send me a PM.
Just be careful shipping alcohol. I once sent some t-shirts to someone via USPS using an empty case as the shipping box. There was no alcohol in it what so ever and USPS returned it to me saying they won't ship alcohol. I understand FedEx ships alcohol but I'm not sure if the rate is higher than standard FedEx rates. Also, I think you need to fill out an additional shipping form.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #1263
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
I understand FedEx ships alcohol but I'm not sure if the rate is higher than standard FedEx rates. Also, I think you need to fill out an additional shipping form.
FedEx rates are based upon weight. Shipping alcohol is no more expensive than shipping anything else of the same weight. And there are no extra forms required. They don't even ask what's in the box.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #1264
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Shipping Alcohol is illegal by USPS (I think in pretty much all cases).

If you use UPS or FedEx, you are just dealing with state laws and company rules, the latter of which aren't law so there is no punishment for not mentioning what's in the box if they don't ask other than you can't make an insurance claim.

Make sure your state allows you to receive beer or wine or both. The Kaiser is in luck since VA does as far as I know.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #1265
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Drank a Victory Prima Pils earlier, drinking a Sierra Nevada Celebration now.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:41 AM   #1266
jbrookeiv

Here's what I picked up while I was home in Atlanta for my wedding.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #1267
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
Shipping Alcohol is illegal by USPS (I think in pretty much all cases).

If you use UPS or FedEx, you are just dealing with state laws and company rules, the latter of which aren't law so there is no punishment for not mentioning what's in the box if they don't ask other than you can't make an insurance claim.

Make sure your state allows you to receive beer or wine or both. The Kaiser is in luck since VA does as far as I know.
Yep, never had any problems shipping or receiving beer, just gotta make sure it's packed up very well. Homebrew competitions recommend putting "yeast samples for analysis" on the box--kind of creative. All kinds of contraband comes by way of USPS, if you're willing to take the risk. I had a buddy once who had pot mailed to him. He was insane.

This discussion is moot anyway--no one seems to want my offer.

Ah well, I'll get my hands on some Pliny the Elder somehow.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #1268
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Cohiba

You should see if a botl out west would pick it up for you and pack it and drop it off if you pay for everything. Thing is, Pliny is expensive before shipping, like $4-$6 per bottle. The bottles aren't even 22 oz. bombers either, they are like 16.9 oz. or something like that.

It is pretty darn good though.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #1269
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

Drinking my last bomber of Sam Adams Octoberfest.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #1270
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Bolivar

Quote:
You should see if a botl out west would pick it up for you and pack it and drop it off if you pay for everything. Thing is, Pliny is expensive before shipping, like $4-$6 per bottle. The bottles aren't even 22 oz. bombers either, they are like 16.9 oz. or something like that.

It is pretty darn good though.
I had some Pliny at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver a couple months ago. It was pretty good. I can't say it was good enough to pay to have it shipped across the country though. There are plenty of brews available on the east coast that are just as good.

Speaking of expensive beer, I was in the store the other day and came across some Dogfish 120 minute. They wanted $9.99 PER BOTTLE. We're not talking about a bomber here either just a regular size bottle that would be in any 6 pack.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #1271
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

You guys need to try Tyranena Hop Whore if it is available in your area. I was blown away. It is super good. Like drinking red ruby grapefruit juice.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #1272
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
I had some Pliny at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver a couple months ago. It was pretty good. I can't say it was good enough to pay to have it shipped across the country though. There are plenty of brews available on the east coast that are just as good.

Speaking of expensive beer, I was in the store the other day and came across some Dogfish 120 minute. They wanted $9.99 PER BOTTLE. We're not talking about a bomber here either just a regular size bottle that would be in any 6 pack.
Yep. Unfortunately, that is the going rate. Of course, I buy it as an occasional treat. Keep in mind, it is 20% abv, so look at t more as a wine, especially since that 12 oz. bottle has about the same amount of total alcohol as a bottle of wine.

I know you won't agree with this, but I actually think 120 Minute is a better value than Utopias.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #1273
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

I just enjoyed the hell out of a Samuel Smiths Taddy Porter ! Gonna get some more tomorrow and maybe a bottle of the Angry Elf I read about today .
Old 12-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #1274
ChicagoWhiteSox

Goose Island Honkers Ale tonight. Nothing special, but I enjoy it a lot. It has a really good balance of hops and malt.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #1275
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Goose Island Honkers Ale tonight. Nothing special, but I enjoy it a lot. It has a really good balance of hops and malt.
One of my favorites.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:06 AM   #1276
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Bolivar

Quote:
Yep. Unfortunately, that is the going rate. Of course, I buy it as an occasional treat. Keep in mind, it is 20% abv, so look at t more as a wine, especially since that 12 oz. bottle has about the same amount of total alcohol as a bottle of wine.

I know you won't agree with this, but I actually think 120 Minute is a better value than Utopias.
Sure Utopias will be 27.5% ABV this year, but math makes me want to agree with you:

120 Minute: $0.63/oz.
Utopias: $4.81/oz. (if you're lucky enough to find it at MSRP)

They're TOTALLY different beers and while about 40% more alcohol doesn't justify such a large price increase Utopias does contain a lot of expensive ingredients, it's very labor intensive to produce, it comes in a really fancy bottle, and it's very limited edition. In the end, I think Utopias is worth every penny.

If 120 came in a nicer bottle or if they added more mystique around it by making it more limited edition I might be inclined to pay a higher price for it. Honestly, I think the thing that makes most people baulk at the price is the packaging. If they even put it in a bomber people would probably be more willing to pay an upcharge. Personally, I would pay $15-$20 for a bomber of 120.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #1277
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

It's just perception. We drink what's inside the bottle. But I understand your point. For a "super premium" beer, they should make it look like it's super premium.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #1278
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba - NJ View Post
I just enjoyed the hell out of a Samuel Smiths Taddy Porter ! Gonna get some more tomorrow and maybe a bottle of the Angry Elf I read about today .
Check that . It's Mad Elf from Troeggs .
Old 12-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #1279
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

I'm drinking a Furthermore Knot Stock. It's basically an IPA that was brewed with the addition of peppercorns. It makes for an interesting twist.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:54 PM   #1280
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

A nice very tall Surly Bender on tap at a restaurant that is new to my wife and I for her birthday.
The beer and the joint were both quite acceptable.
Closed Thread