Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 05-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
boonedoggle
The Search is ON

First Name: Jimmy
Trading: (19)
RA AirForce (Active)
boonedoggle will become famous soon enough
Default French Press...yeah, I'll never go back

I have inquired about these babies before, and I finally went out and got this one at Target:

http://www.target.com/Bodum-Brazil-8...20press&page=1

I just finished brewing up a pot, and I must say, I do not know why I waited so long. The coffee was fabulous, and cleanup was super easy. I had always avoided brewing coffee in a regular pot due to my laziness and not wanting to clean. This press fits the bill and is mobile so I can take it with me wherever I go.
Funny, I had to search around for it at the store. They don't stock them by the regular coffee pots. Odd.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: French Press...yeah, I'll never go back

The only bad thing about the french press is that you cannot drink drip coffee anymore. You can clearly tell the difference. My taste buds have been spoiled, and now I cannot stop making coffee in the press. It is just sooooo delicious. Need more!
Old 05-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
boonedoggle
The Search is ON

First Name: Jimmy
Trading: (19)
RA AirForce (Active)
boonedoggle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
The only bad thing about the french press is that you cannot drink drip coffee anymore. You can clearly tell the difference. My taste buds have been spoiled, and now I cannot stop making coffee in the press. It is just sooooo delicious. Need more!
I found the initial taste was quite different. Much smoother and flavorful than drip. I also found it tasted better when it cooled down a bit.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

The improvement you get from roasting your own coffee, by the way, is even more dramatic. But who knows coffee better than you and Mr. Wolf?

Old 05-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

I love my bodum don't drink coffee any other way
Old 05-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
The improvement you get from roasting your own coffee, by the way, is even more dramatic. But who knows coffee better than you and Mr. Wolf?

"I take it with lotsa' cream and lotsa' sugar."
Old 05-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I've been looking for a French press and think I'll have to swing by Target to get one. Gotta like the price too!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

Thank you for the reminder. Morning coffee was great.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
BillyCigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
But who knows coffee better than you and Mr. Wolf?

I echo your thoughts Boonedoggle. I have to tell you that I've been on a French Press "kick" lately. I say "kick" in quotations because I've treated the French Press like an occasional luxury to be prepared and savored when time permits. But just today, after having been drinking French Press coffee solid for a week, I tried to shortcut myself by making drip. What a mistake. Not only is the difference like night and day, the drip coffee experience is almost an insult to your taste buds after acclimating to a French Press
Old 07-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

I picked up the same Bodum this morning and made the best cup of coffee I've ever had at home. Just awesome flavor.

I'd been using beans from a local roaster in my drip machine, but the flavor from the French press is amazing.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #11
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
...I'd been using beans from a local roaster in my drip machine, but the flavor from the French press is amazing.
And, voila! You can buy a $10 dripper or a $1000 dripper but if the water temp is off a few too many degrees the coffee will never be good. It is practically impossible to miss correct brewing temp with a press and THAT is a huge difference in the cup.

Boil (just barely) the water - remove from heat - count 15-hippopotamus - pour/stir. Perfect coffee in 4-minutes.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #12
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

I purchased this Bodum about 6 months ago:

It makes 16 oz of coffee, is insulated, and can used as a travel mug. I usually just make a mug at the office where we have an electric kettle, and pour it into a regular ceramic mug that I take outside when I have a break. It's so nice to have a really good cup of java while smoking a cigar out back!

I also use a Senseo one cup maker when I run out of the good stuff for the french press. I use pods from Cafejo which are almost 1-1/3rd larger than the regular Senseo pods. They have some good blends that taste much better than any drip I've had.

At home, it's the Bodum 8 cup unit that gets used, almost exclusively.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #13
burninator
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
burninator is on a distinguished road

I've been loving my Bodum french press, but I still find that certain beans just make a better cup with the drip. Ironically enough, I just went through a bag of French Roast beans that were unremarkable in the press, but made a vibrant and bold cup of drip. Go figure.
burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #14
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

I love my press and find it hard drinking the drip stuff. It has totally spoiled me but how is cleanup easier with a press than drip? with the drip all you do pull out that paper cup thingy. with a press all the grounds are stuck to the bottom and you have to dig them out.
kenstogie is offline   Reply With Quote