Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #41
Hem
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bill
Trading: (13)
Partagas
Hem will become famous soon enough
Default Re: HELP. I can't get consistency in my Humi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
If it's a new humi the sticks will soak up the humidity, you need the cedar to become saturated (no wiping down the wood, could warp) gradually with the distiller water, once the cedar is saturated and holding humidity then add sticks, humidity will fall at first because of the sticks but will come back up.

Oh...yea...I knew that....brb
Hem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #42
Minus_Blindfold

After using the search tool and reading up on some of the help given by people, I am still having some troubles. I'm sure I could have looked more but it is what it is. I live in Iowa, so it is the middle of winter here. I have 65% rh beads and I have about 15 cigars in a glasstop (I know) 50 count humidor. I can't get the rh above 60 or 61. I did a salt test before even seasoning my humidor and it was at 72 so I calibrated it to 75. Then, a week later I did a "towel test" and it was at 98% which is where it was supposed to be. So the hygrometer is fine. Any suggestions? I know this has been answered, but it is a little different for everyone imho.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #43
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus_Blindfold View Post
After using the search tool and reading up on some of the help given by people, I am still having some troubles. I'm sure I could have looked more but it is what it is. I live in Iowa, so it is the middle of winter here. I have 65% rh beads and I have about 15 cigars in a glasstop (I know) 50 count humidor. I can't get the rh above 60 or 61. I did a salt test before even seasoning my humidor and it was at 72 so I calibrated it to 75. Then, a week later I did a "towel test" and it was at 98% which is where it was supposed to be. So the hygrometer is fine. Any suggestions? I know this has been answered, but it is a little different for everyone imho.
How could you know if your first post was less than 24 hours ago? If your hygrometer is calibrated, humidor is properly seasoned and you have 65% RH beads, shut your humidor give it a week to stabilize. In the mean time introduce yourself in the inmate processing area,commit just a bit of effort in the search box,be patient,if your still having a problem post a new thread of in beginners questions instead of hijacking another persons thread.
Sticky threads are your friend.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #44
Minus_Blindfold

Sorry...
Old 01-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #45
jluck
Way out there

HdM

Quote:
Sorry...
Nothing to be sorry about. Just some pointers that will help you alot along the way here. This place is full of great and helpful people but some input and effort from newbies required. standard forum etiquette. (And I'm still a newb too) just trying to give the "in a nut shell" reply.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #46
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Did you season your humidor prior to putting the beads and cigars in?
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #47
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Be patient. Give it time (week or more) to stabilize.
And if it is still at 60-61, ask yourself "how are the cigars smoking?" If you are happy with the cigars, don't sweat a few percentage points.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #48
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyirishman View Post
Holy crap.

How the hell did you come up with that, you resourceful bigger?

Are those fairly easy to deform to the shapes you need? Because I could definitely see this being a fix for some of those people like me that have leaky corners on their humidor baffles...
Yeah they're super easy to deform... they're made for little kids ears so they have to be somewhat soft ya know.

Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #49
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

This is what I used to seal my glass up.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ass_Sealer.htm

low/no odor.

It's slightly more runny then regular silicone so it is able to flow into the crack between the wood and glass to make for a good seal. It's not so runny that it goes everywhere and makes a big mess though.

I ran a small bead around the inside of the humidor and let it sit over night.

The key to making it work and look nice is just cutting a small hole in the nozzle, take your time and try to have a steady hand.

This stuff worked great for me.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #50
jluck
Way out there

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
This is what I used to seal my glass up.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ass_Sealer.htm

low/no odor.

It's slightly more runny then regular silicone so it is able to flow into the crack between the wood and glass to make for a good seal. It's not so runny that it goes everywhere and makes a big mess though.

I ran a small bead around the inside of the humidor and let it sit over night.

The key to making it work and look nice is just cutting a small hole in the nozzle, take your time and try to have a steady hand.

This stuff worked great for me.
I thought I had saw it all in the permatex world but this is a new one! thank ya'