Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #21
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Job you wanted when you were young compared to Today?

I always wanted to be a marine biologist....not the girly dolphin hugger that teenage girls dream about. I wanted to explore coral reefs and the deep ocean on the Alvin. I remember being 7 or 8 and being fascinated by a national geographic on the ocean. I remember taking the picture of the reef to my mom and telling her I would bring her a brain coral. Actually was able to achieve that just before she passed.

Then I feel in love with literature. Wanted to be a lit professor. Was even an English major for three years of college. Then I got married and had kids and decided I ought to do something that made actual money. So I switched to business, continued through MBA then spent 15 years in financial management.

When the kids are gone, I'm going back to the ocean. Gonna live on a boat, smoke cigars and dive. 5 more years.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #22
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

From a very young age, Retirement looked real nice and I am still trying to make it happen. For now, hard work and investing will have too do.

Todd, the 1/3,1/3,1/3 shop sounds great!
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #23
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Don't really remember what I wanted to be as a kid. Through junior high and high school, I seriously contemplated meteorology. I love the subject of weather. Still would have loved to be a weather man. I had the forms filled out for college for the major, but decided against it. Not much demand for the degree and if you do not get the weather man job, WTF you do with it.

I am a manufacturing rep for a top 4 tire manufacturer now. I love it.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #24
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
tab cards?
Uh, as a matter of fact, yes.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #25
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

I started college as a computer science major. Changed majors after 1 semester. Simply did not have time for it. I was working a regular job at the time and that is a major that requires your full attention. Sitting in a lab for hours on end pecking out C++ code convinced me of that.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #26
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Since photography and travel have always been my interests, I would have loved to land a job with some organization or company like National Geographic...travel the world, take pics, write articles, and get paid to do it. Perfect! But..............
Old 10-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #27
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
When I was young I wanted to be an oceanographer. Jacques Cousteau and All Giddings were my heroes. I also had and still am fascinated with flying. When I got older, 10+ I started to want to follow my dad's footsteps into the heavy trucking industry thanks to many afternoons after school stomping around the heavy truck shop he presided over.

After starting my working career in the restaurant industry, I finally did get the opportunity to get into trucking. I spent from the late 90's to the mind 00's driving an unknown but damned high number of different vehicles. Since 2005, I've moved into management, my last job being the safety director for a trucking company.

I still want to fly one day.

Oh yeah I almost forgot. Being a hot shot pilot for the Navy was a dream of mine through much of grade school, too. But, my poor eyesight flushed that dream down the toilet! Oh well. Nothing can be done about that! Generally I was drawn to being some sort of military man; I was an uber-geek growing up, though, and was NOT very athletically inclined at all, so when I turned 19 and decided to join the Army, it came as a shock to family and friends alike...
Old 10-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #28
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Uh, as a matter of fact, yes.

They used to be valuable as a recyclable when they were common.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #29
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
They used to be valuable as a recyclable when they were common.

Now we're veering into the "How Old Are You" thread in the Jokes forum! I remember those; don't think I used them but remember my Dad having those as his time cards when he worked for Ford. I guess the time clock would punch new holes in the card when he punched in and out? Oh yeah, and why was he bringing that stuff home?
Old 10-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #30
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

About 12-14 years old me and my buddies all wanted to be gynecologists. With age and wisdom, I'm glad that was short-lived. Yuck!

I always wanted to be a chef and have my own restaurant. I still like cooking. I think I would've hated the hours and management part of it. Been a chemist for over 20 years and cooking has it's chemistry moments, so I'll stick with this.

Would also love to own and operate a butcher shop, along with a grill supply/grilling offshoot. Haven't given up on this...
Old 10-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #31
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I never wanted to be anything, and I never amounted to nothing.
I guess I'm a complete success!!!
Old 10-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #32
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I always wanted to be a stuntman, Evil Knevil was my hero, then after I discovered KISS in the 70's I wanted to be a rock star. so in between jumping off houses, bikes and trees I got my 1st bass guitar when I was 12 and was playing in several bands.

I broke both my legs in college skateboarding so I gave up my stuntman dream got fat continued the music and actually went to school for music, excelled in that but parents weren't going to pay for another 2 years for me to get my degree in music, so I got out with a 2 years degree.

I finally gave up music for good in 2004 or 05 just wasn't going anywhere.

So now I'm a dispatcher and still not sure what I want to be.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #33
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

I wanted to play in the NFL when I was a kid, but no colleges were recruiting 5'9" 180 lb. mediocre linemen. In my early 20's I wanted to be a chef. I got a degree from Le Cordon Bleu and jumped in. The pay of a restaraunt manager does not balance the frustrations or long hours. I recently went back to school and got my RN license and currently work at the Mayo Clinic. Excellent decision, a very rewarding career with good pay. There are some moments where I wish I wasn't there (code brown), but the pros outweigh the cons by a considerable margin.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #34
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

When I was real young I vacillated a lot, at one point wanting to study history and teach, to metrology, to archaeology, never really settled.

Ended up in industrial electrical, then instrumentation, then systems integrator, now in charge of large electrical department in very large company. I would have never guessed how that would have happened whe I was younger.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #35
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

When I was growing up I wanted to fix computers, which doesn't seem like much of a goal but if you knew how I grew up... I was lucky enough to have a friend with a computer down the street and the guy that came to fix it one day seemed so smart I figured that must be the best job in the world.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:28 AM   #36
benedic08
Bob's great grandson

First Name: Benedic
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
benedic08 has a spectacular aura aboutbenedic08 has a spectacular aura about

When I was really young I wanted to be a cowboy hahah... I grew up with my dad's old westerns in betamax mostly John Wayne and Clint Eastwood films. When I got to High School I was into computer so much I wanted t be a programmer. I started fiddling with programming mostly C and C++ and when I transferred here to the US I started working on a computer science degree. I was passing all my programming classes at the top of my class but calculus was killing me. Took me 4 tries to pass Calculus 1. So I started rethinking and during my limbo years I took an accounting class and really liked it. Started tutoring for my accounting teacher when I finished and shifted my major to accounting. Now im 1 year and a half away from my accounting bachelors degree
benedic08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #37
Robulous78

When I was young I was HUGE into Star Trek: TNG... So I wanted to be a Crewman on the enterprise...LoL... Then I wanted to be a Lawyer... Then started college wanting to be a Psychologist... Changed majors to entrepreneurship wanting to own my own bar... and now I work in a Hotel... If I had my choice of jobs right now IDK what I would choose but I would want it to require a LOT of travel...

Sorry for the life story but at least it was the short version...
Old 10-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #38
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Peter and I started on the same path. I wanted to be a garbage man till I was about 10. I even had a toy one that lit up and made the noises. I would sit at the window watching and thinking how cool it was.

Then because of my size I knew profootball was not an option, so I wanted to be an athletic trainer or coach. And I have been coaching for 26yrs now.

Now I would love to work on retirement and partner up with Todd.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #39
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

I always wanted to be like my Dad, who was a farmer when I was growing up. He was always happiest when he was on his tractor out in the field. But as I grew older, I saw the pain and hard work he went thru dealing with the government, bankers, and good ol Mother Nature and knew it wasn't for me. But I still miss the farm. Just can't make it into a career these days unless you are born with land already in your family.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #40
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

I was born in Regina Saskatchewan, raised for the first 7 yrs on a farm.
So I guess at that stage I wanted to be a farmer like my dad.
After he passed when I was 7, I was lost figuring out just what I wanted to be.
Later in high school, I wanted to get into architecture, but no money for University.
I wound up a Millwright at a local steel mill here in Hamilton, and hope to retire in a few more years.
All in all life hasn't been to bad....