Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 05-14-2023, 07:13 AM   #3181
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
I like your story, GG. I'm sure nobody here objects. After all, they let me post up about which gas station I got my tumbler filled at, in the thread about fancy coffee.
Old 05-14-2023, 09:14 AM   #3182
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

What a story Greg, amazing!

Have you ever seen the movie "Lawless"? It's pretty good.

And a little Willie too (phrasing) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKMOIPPsAkA

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 09:15 AM   #3183
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I can't keep my hands off this 11 year, 109 proof ECBP pick. Freaking oak bomb.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 05-14-2023, 10:28 AM   #3184
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Brian, James and Tom. Great story GG.

Stopped by a store on my way home from the cemetery. Huge bourbon selection. They had a bottle of Booker 2022-04 (I believe that’s the date I saw) and a bottle of Little Book Chapter 6. $200/ea. what I expected. But $200 for Blantons.
Old 05-14-2023, 05:05 PM   #3185
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

None of those should be that way, Bob, Little Book is closest to retail. Booker's is $89 now, Blanton's maybe $65? WTF?

Old 05-14-2023, 06:44 PM   #3186
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I don't even like Blanton's at $65, let alone $200. I've just never been much of a fan.

I can get Booker's for around $80-ish on my local Air Force Base, luckily.
Old 05-15-2023, 05:13 AM   #3187
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Unfortunately prices around me are crazy for the HTF stuff. This guy had a really nice selection of bottles, but I think he’s over estimating what people will pay. Then the stuff just sits on the shelf.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:39 AM   #3188
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
I don't even like Blanton's at $65, let alone $200. I've just never been much of a fan.

I'm in a semi-bourbon online group where last week a guy says "I'm having my friend join the group, he has a ton of crazy bourbon you guys will love him" and his friend immediately posts a brag video... slowly showing the 7 bottles of Blanton's he has and something about being only one letter away...

Now $80 Bookers? That's the deal right there
Old 05-15-2023, 08:46 AM   #3189
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post

Yup, not a Blanton's guy either James, though I'd buy a SFTB at MSRP.

Booker's 23-01, Charlie's Batch. Get it. I'll buy the open bottle if you don't like it.

Old 05-15-2023, 08:46 AM   #3190
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Agreed!

Yesterday’s acquisition and subsequent pour. Delicious. Very much vanilla on the nose. Carries over to the taste, where I also got small hints of chocolate covered cherries, even once what I thought was butterscotch. The burn hits you right at the back of the throat, in a good way.
I did like the one bottle I have been able to find. A great wheated at full proof.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 09:29 AM   #3191
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Yup, not a Blanton's guy either James, though I'd buy a SFTB at MSRP.

Booker's 23-01, Charlie's Batch. Get it. I'll buy the open bottle if you don't like it.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:22 PM   #3192
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Thanks for acceptance of the story. A little further, not sure 100% how true this one is. The summer I graduated high school (1983) my dad had about 6 OR 8 quarts of moonshine that he made way back in the day. he claimed he had buried it for 20+ years, not real sure it that was the truth or not. But what I can tell you is the shine was about 90 proof, which dad always said anything over 90 proof was not drinking shine. This shine was smooth as water. You could pour some on ice and drink it with just a little burn in the gut. After about 2 or 3 sips though, your legs would kinda get rubbery on ya. LOL
G G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 06:37 PM   #3193
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

Grabbed a bottle of Booker's 2023-01 Charlie's Batch. Haven't opened it yet. Looking for a second before I do that.

I've backed off of the hunt, although there are a few bottles I am looking for. I've got too much right now and most of it is on the floor. Going to look in some industrial shelves to get it off he floor this summer. I also backed off drinking due to some recent accidents I've experienced. I just didn't feel like drinking as I recovered.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:51 PM   #3194
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Awesome story addition Greg. I’d like to try some real shine someday. Not the mass produced stuff you can buy at the store.

As for Bookers, I’m hoping to snag a bottle soon. Local grocery store is supposed to have some soon.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:19 PM   #3195
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

At my first duty station (Tinker AFB, OK) my NCOIC, Jerry, was from waaaaay up in the mountains of Tennessee. 'Shine was part of his family's culture. He drove home about twice a year to visit family. Each time he returned he brought back two or three two-liter Pepsi bottles filled with 'shine.

We were a fun-loving group so someone was hosting a party every weekend. Jerry would bring some 'shine occasionally and pass the bottle around. Eventually he realized I was the only one that would continue to drink it with him. Nobody else liked it but I did, so at some point in every party he'd give me a look and we'd go sip some 'shine. It tasted like a blend of vodka, mezcal, and light rum. That may sound nasty, but it was actually pretty tasty. Jerry's family's best estimate was it was around 115 proof. It had a mule kick right up front but was surprisingly pleasant and smooth going down.

Good times...
Old 05-15-2023, 07:24 PM   #3196
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Awesome story addition Greg. I’d like to try some real shine someday. Not the mass produced stuff you can buy at the store.

As for Bookers, I’m hoping to snag a bottle soon. Local grocery store is supposed to have some soon.
I am def not a shine expert by any stretch. But there is folks who know how to make it, and there are those that don't but do anyway. It's a different taste for sure, but when it's good and smooth it's pretty good stuff.
G G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:58 AM   #3197
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
I am def not a shine expert by any stretch. But there is folks who know how to make it, and there are those that don't but do anyway. It's a different taste for sure, but when it's good and smooth it's pretty good stuff.
My father in law used to get some stuff from West Virginia, always had a mason jar in the freezer and would pull it out towards the end of parties. Sure was tasty, I never asked where he got it but I've had my share of bad stuff, the good sure can be good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagleone View Post
I've backed off of the hunt, although there are a few bottles I am looking for. I've got too much right now and most of it is on the floor. Going to look in some industrial shelves to get it off he floor this summer
Storage is the real concern, I don't drink nearly enough and am out of space as well, I need to kill off at least 5-6 before I can bring more bottles into the house
Old 05-16-2023, 09:05 AM   #3198
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
I need to kill off at least 5-6 before I can bring more bottles into the house

Old 05-16-2023, 09:23 AM   #3199
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Old 05-16-2023, 07:25 PM   #3200
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post