Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #101
TampaRoadking

Default Re: How to Freeze and the Science behind it. Long

Oh, I'm new to this site and posting, so I'm not sure how to get feedback on my last post from SilverFox. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #102
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

PM sent
Old 10-29-2009, 09:36 AM   #103
SilverFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaRoadking View Post
Would it be safe to assume that if I freeze 100% of everything that is put into my standard non-cooled humidor cabinet, that my everyday storage temperature would not be nearly as big of a concern? I also live in Florida and do not want to spend the $$ to keep the house at 70 Degrees all day. The temperature while I'm at work will raise to about 77-78 during the day.
It would be safe to assume that you would not have an issue from beetles.

I don't know if there are any other issues with regard to slightly higher temperature storage. I know that mold spores grow better in warmer situations so that may be a concern even if maintaining 65% RH.

Also based on reading it seems there is common conjecture that higher temperatures accelerate the ageing process of a cigar (the ongoing fermentation of the leaves). This is more the case in Cuban cigars but I am sure can be an issue in Non Cubans as well. I am not sure if accelerated ageing (especially in the small increment that would occur due to that temperature variant) would be negative.

In my opinion (nothing really factual) your cigar storage is similar to wine storage. If you are in the range of acceptability then you are ok, it is large fluctuations in both RH and Temperature that cause issues.

On the freezing, given that that your storage conditions are a little warmer it wouldn't hurt to extend your freezing times slightly to ensure full mortality of any beetle eggs, larvae, pupae etc. As I have mentioned before I freeze everything in my collection and have had no beetles since taking on this practice and had zero impact on my cigars.

Hope that helps
Old 10-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #104
TampaRoadking

Yes.....I think freezing is just a good insurance policy on my sticks. I really appreciate the feedback man.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #105
SilverFox

Drop me a PM anytime I am more than happy to help
Old 10-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #106
str8edg

if you want you can just ship them to me... everything freezes up here

I freeze everything I get, it is a bit easier for me but after seeing a bug (yuck) I don't play around anymore.

Thanks shawn for this thread
Old 11-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #107
fyrftr

OK!

Through the freezer they go! Told the wife to work around them & don't set the Xmas ham on them. So glad to learn this the easy way and not the 'hard' way. Thanks for all the great info!

Tim L.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #108
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8edg View Post
if you want you can just ship them to me... everything freezes up here

I freeze everything I get, it is a bit easier for me but after seeing a bug (yuck) I don't play around anymore.

Thanks shawn for this thread
your outside is one big freezer!!
Old 12-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #109
Aldebaran

I didnt see this asked in the thread so if I missed it sorry.

After you freeze how long til they are smokable? I froze my collection almost three weeks ago after I saw some holes looking similar to the ones on here and some of them still feel wet or moist. Humidity is bordering around 68-70
Old 12-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #110
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldebaran View Post
I didnt see this asked in the thread so if I missed it sorry.

After you freeze how long til they are smokable? I froze my collection almost three weeks ago after I saw some holes looking similar to the ones on here and some of them still feel wet or moist. Humidity is bordering around 68-70
Opinions are probably going to vary, but I have been known to smoke them as soon as they return to room temperature.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #111
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Opinions are probably going to vary, but I have been known to smoke them as soon as they return to room temperature.
Yep, me too.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #112
SilverFox

As a test I actually smoked one directly from the the freezer and found no ill effects.

Typically I will let it come back to temp, then I they are full game.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #113
str8edg

I don't think it would make much difference straight out of the freezer. I have gone for walks with a cigar in my pocket in -20C or so... then smoked it on the way home.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #114
Perfecto
Here Hear.........

Trading: (0)
Perfecto is on a distinguished road

OK...after reading everything here I have a question about not freezing that I didn't see covered. If it was covered, sorry, here's the question anyway.

I have always been aware of the beetle thing but have never froze....yet.
I do segregate all my new stuff for a period of time before I let them mingle with the crowd and allow them to get up close and personal and talk to other sticks. Maybe I've just been lucky so far.........

What would one suggest the allotted time be to keep them segregated to see if there are going to any hatching?

Thanks for the input........
Old 12-14-2009, 02:21 AM   #115
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfecto View Post
OK...after reading everything here I have a question about not freezing that I didn't see covered. If it was covered, sorry, here's the question anyway.

I have always been aware of the beetle thing but have never froze....yet.
I do segregate all my new stuff for a period of time before I let them mingle with the crowd and allow them to get up close and personal and talk to other sticks. Maybe I've just been lucky so far.........

What would one suggest the allotted time be to keep them segregated to see if there are going to any hatching?

Thanks for the input........
You have been lucky, so far. It's kind of like driving without insurance. As long as you don't hit anything, you're golden. One bad incident, however, and you're in the poor house.

As the eggs can lay dormant for some time until the conditions are right, I'm not sure any length of time segregated can insure non-infestation.

Take out the insurance policy and freeze and have some peace of mind.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:09 AM   #116
Perfecto
Here Hear.........

Quote:
As the eggs can lay dormant for some time until the conditions are right, I'm not sure any length of time segregated can insure non-infestation.
Thanks Tim.........I fully understand the consequences...but this what I was trying to find out. How long can they lay dorm and what are the conditions?

puff on..........Dave
Old 12-14-2009, 07:47 AM   #117
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Partagas

Quote:
Thanks Tim.........I fully understand the consequences...but this what I was trying to find out. How long can they lay dorm and what are the conditions?

puff on..........Dave
Typical life span from egg to adult is 10-12 weeks.

They can continue to flourish even below 70*, although at a slower rate.

Two days in the freezer would seem to be a better option.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #118
Perfecto
Here Hear.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
Typical life span from egg to adult is 10-12 weeks.

They can continue to flourish even below 70*, although at a slower rate.

Two days in the freezer would seem to be a better option.
Thanks Tim..........I greatly do appreciate your responses and please don't take me wrong when asking again....but this is what I'm trying to find out. I have spent a little time researching on the net and can't find any info there yet.

How long can the eggs lay dormant?

Thanks again..................Dave
Old 12-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #119
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Partagas

Perhaps this'll help, Dave.

Some biology paragraph.

http://www.thefinerlife.com/smokers_...gar_beetle.htm
Old 12-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #120
SilverFox

Quote:
Thanks Tim..........I greatly do appreciate your responses and please don't take me wrong when asking again....but this is what I'm trying to find out. I have spent a little time researching on the net and can't find any info there yet.

How long can the eggs lay dormant?

Thanks again..................Dave
In the study that I refer to they say that a normal egg will hatch within 4 weeks in suitable conditions but that all eggs hatch or die within a 6 week period at 20c.

Now remember that is only the eggs, the larvae have between 5 to 10 weeks and then move on to the the pupal and prepupal stages can take up to 3 weeks and then on to adult hood which adds another potential 4 weeks.

Assuming maximum range on all life stages it seems reasonable to assume that it could be 6 months of time that could pass before you could be sure of total mortality. That assumes of course that a female does not lay more eggs.