Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 08-31-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
bookman

Default Old Time Radio

Any fans of vintage radio shows like Jack Benny, Suspense, Edgar Bergan and Charlie McCarthy out there? A great place to fine these shows is www.archive.org. They have hundreds of them. I've been listening for 5+ years. I'd love to talk about these great entertainments/answer questions and so on and so forth with anyone here.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
GoodFella
out to sea

Trading: (7)
ERdM AirForce (Active)
GoodFella has disabled reputation
Default Re: Old Time Radio

new to me but it sound cool. thanks for showing this
Old 08-31-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation

A weekend doesn't pass without me listening to our state PBS networks broadcast of old time radio on Saturday and Sunday nights. I love the great gildersleeve and ozzie & harriet. Oh, they like to play the dramas like gunsmoke and the lone ranger, but the comedies are the best. Radio was certainly good back in those days.

Larry
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
bookman

I find these shows to be very comforting. Indeed the comedies are the best. It's fun to see how they worked raunchy humor around the censors. Plus you get shows like Red Skelton and Bob Hope and Martin and Lewis (beautiful chaos) with all their great ad libs!

Also, a lot of tv shows started out as OTR (Dragnet, I love Lucy, Bonanza). Glad yr a fan Larry.

Before I moved to a non-smoking apt. I would unwind with a nice cigar and hours of great radio shows, staring at a candle's shadow on the wall and imagining the events unfold.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

I like how they painlessly sneak in the ads on the shows such as Pabst Blue Ribbon and the Roma Wine company. They integrated commercials into the script so seamlessly that we hardly knew they were ads. Good stuff

Larry
Old 08-31-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
bookman

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinlc View Post
I like how they painlessly sneak in the ads on the shows such as Pabst Blue Ribbon and the Roma Wine company. They integrated commercials into the script so seamlessly that we hardly knew they were ads. Good stuff

Larry
Exactly, Larry! I loved the Lucky Strike commercials on Jack Benny! They had the Sportsman Quartet sing jingles as part of the show!!! "Be happy go lucky go Lucky Strike today." Also on Inner Sanctum when the eerie host and this very "proper" lady would do spots for Lipton Tea!!! Totally broke the mood!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
bookman

Oh, and at the end of The Life of Riley when Bendix joins the sponsor to shill PBR???? Priceless!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

I always find it amazing that the who's who of Hollywood did radio back then. But, that was before television, and actors of the day were under contract to the studios. You wouldn't find this happening in todays big money industry. I still can't picture William Conrad as Matt Dillon. My perception is skewed by Cannon when he was fat. Radio has no pictures so the imagination can run wild.

Larry
Old 08-31-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

x minus one

good sci fi.

Larry
Old 08-31-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
bookman

Yes Larrry! It's fun to hear a familiar voice then realize its William Shatner or jack Webb or Carey Grant or John Garfield!! And it's all about imagiantion!!!
X Minus is awesome! Ever hear Lights Out? For my $$ it's as good as twilight zone!