Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough
Default Question: Tip for Carryout?

I'm having an argument with the dizzy broad in the cubicle behind me. I tipped the hostess at the restaurant across the street, even though I picked up the order myself for carryout. I have always tipped for carryout. I do not tip as much as I would had I sat down with a waiter or waitress. The order was a bit over 8 bucks and I gave her a ten and called it even.

Dizzy Broad says she NEVER tips on carry out, no one she knows does, and the restaurant did nothing to deserve my tip.

My argument is that someone answered the phone, took my order, brought it to the kitchen, the kitchen made it, they bagged it with ketchup, napkins, and flatware, then they brought it to me right as I walked in the door.

So what about you guys? Do you tip on carry out? Feel free to answer either way, I won't call you cheap or anything.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
kayak_rat
Cyclonic Bastard

First Name: Zack
Trading: (0)
Trinidad
kayak_rat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Question: Tip for Carryout?

McDonalds does the same exact thing....and you dont even have to leave your car.

I do not tip for carryout.
kayak_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I think that tipping, despite what some may say, is voluntary. If she wants to forgo a tip, good for her. If you want to tip, good for you.

Arguing about whether or not optional behavior is mandatory isn't a productive activity, in my experience.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

I say if you think what someone has done for you deserves a tip...tip them at your discretion. It is better to over tip than under tip. Just my
Old 05-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
AriesOpusX
Goodfella

Trading: (0)
AriesOpusX is on a distinguished road

When I go to pickup my pizza or whatever I'll throw a buck and change into the guys tip cup. At dunkin donuts if I get a cup of coffee and they hand me some coins back i'll throw them in the cup.

If I'm picking up a at a restaurant and paying with my debit card or something I won't go out of my way to tip them. The tip cups make more sense to me because the money is split between everyone instead of just the cashier you're handing a few bucks to for ringing the order up.
AriesOpusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Good points everyone. For the record I wasn't implying that one must tip to be a good human being (although I do, in general, find this woman to be very cheap) lol. Personally I have been guilty of over-tipping, just wanted to see what the general consensus was.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

For a carry-out order of your size I may or may not tip $1. It just depends on how I feel at that moment, but I feel that the choice for a carry-out to tip is voluntary.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation

I'll leave a tip as long as they see me do it.
especially for the calzones at paisanos
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

I think if the restaurant in question does a good job then yes, a little extra is appreciated. I've never worked in the food service industry but venture to say they work very hard for the money they make. So after my ramblings I agree and do tip for carryout.

Chris.....
Old 05-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
AndyMadera
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (46)
Trinidad
AndyMadera will become famous soon enoughAndyMadera will become famous soon enough

I have no problem with tipping if it is due. Although nowadays its pretty much mandatory or you get BAD service if they remember you anyway... some places even include it in the bill MANDATORY. Tipping originated by people wanting to grab the attention of the host as they were in a hurry, think a little extra money can get you infront of someone else to get your coffee a little faster and back to work you go... Now its just a excuse for employers to pay servers/cooks minimum wage because they can earn MORE in tips if they work their ass off... just my 2 cents.

Andy

ADDED: In the past, I have been to places were they dont pay much attention to me because they dont think im going to tip well or not at all, due to my age or appearences. I didnt always dress so stylish hahaha I tip them anyway and dont come back... Im a 20% tipper
AndyMadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #11
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I put nine years into the fast food/pizza industry and I would say that 999 out of 1,000 times that a tip is not given for carryout. Delivery and in-house service, yes; carryout, no. I do not tip for carryout unless they do something special and go out of their way to help me in some fashion. Please tip your delivery people. Most places pay a little for the cost of gas, but it's not enough. Every little bit helps.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionAndy View Post

Dizzy Broad says she NEVER tips on carry out, no one she knows does....
She's already wrong. Does she know you?
Quote:
and the restaurant did nothing to deserve my tip.
Who prepared the food? Was it warm? Was it contained?

Quote:
My argument is that someone answered the phone, took my order, brought it to the kitchen, the kitchen made it, they bagged it with ketchup, napkins, and flatware, then they brought it to me right as I walked in the door.

So what about you guys? Do you tip on carry out? Feel free to answer either way, I won't call you cheap or anything.
You are most correct sir.
I usually tip 25% for excellent sit down service, 20% for sit down service that is decent, 15% if it is lacking, and 10% for carry-out.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #13
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

One thing that gets me these days is the ubiquitous tip jar and people assuming that they're entitled to one. Treat me politely and with good service and I'll gladly leave a tip. Give me attitude with a lackadaisical effort and I won't.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #14
spooble
Palmetto State Herf Crew

First Name: Chad
Trading: (58)
ERdM
spooble will become famous soon enough

I tip for carryout on occasion, but never at fastfood joints. One place I can never decide if I should tip or not is Sonic Drive-In. I mean.... it's a fastfoot place... but they do walk it out to your car. (Or sometimes roller skate). I've just been rounding up to the next dollar, but I wonder if they're cussing me as they skate back inside.
spooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #15
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

You do whatever you want with a tip especially on a carry out. I don't think they expect a tip so anything would make them happy. Now if you go to a restaurant for carry out and they bring it to your car "curbside" I always tip them. They are providing me a service and I appreciate them so I tip.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #16
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooble View Post
I tip for carryout on occasion, but never at fastfood joints. One place I can never decide if I should tip or not is Sonic Drive-In. I mean.... it's a fastfoot place... but they do walk it out to your car. (Or sometimes roller skate). I've just been rounding up to the next dollar, but I wonder if they're cussing me as they skate back inside.
In that case I think the appropriate tip is "Watch out for pebbles, you'll bust yer ass on them skates."

j/k

I never tip for fast food.
My dilemma is Starbucks.... the one I frequent moves you through soooo fast that I don't feel that I could hold up the line to add a tip to the card receipt. I never carry cash. I guess I could for a tip for that occasion...but it is the fast food get em in and get em out that is costing the tip in that situation.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #17
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

for sonic, I think you're supposed to tip them since they bring the food out to you, at least according to my gf. So i tip the car-hop. especially if she's cute

in general, for restaurant type take out I leave a tip, more if i frequent the place a lot. For places like starbucks, a buck or the change.
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #18
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

http://www.gonomad.com/traveldesk/0806/tipping.html
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #19
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooble View Post
One place I can never decide if I should tip or not is Sonic Drive-In. I mean.... it's a fastfoot place... but they do walk it out to your car. (Or sometimes roller skate). I've just been rounding up to the next dollar, but I wonder if they're cussing me as they skate back inside.
I do tip for carry-out there.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #20
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Picked up some takeout last night. The place literally had the food ready in under 2 minutes. Boxed up, ready to go with all the trims. Was a Mexican restaurant. I was going to tip them for such fast service but when he handed me the thing to sign, he crossed off the tip line before he gave it to me and wrote the total on the total line. So I didn't tip lol.

Normally I don't but it was so quick that I felt compelled to throw a buck or two at them.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote